Convert 2WD to 4WD - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-24-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Convert 2WD to 4WD

Plenty of off roading experience but newish to the JK scene. I've been riding in a CJ5 since I was 2 weeks old so I shouldn't run into too many issues but figured I'd ask you guys.

I did a search here and didn't come back with anything specific. I'm going to be picking up a stock 2WD JK and converting it to 4WD with an Atlas and some Dana 60's. Plan is to run 36's Anyone here tried that? A fairly famous local shop (Off Road Evolution) can convert a 2WD with parts for cheaper than I could pick up a 4WD Rubicon, break the 44's and regear. Atlas, 60's, chromoly axles, and 37's just sounds like more fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUN LS1 View Post
Plenty of off roading experience but newish to the JK scene. I've been riding in a CJ5 since I was 2 weeks old so I shouldn't run into too many issues but figured I'd ask you guys.

I did a search here and didn't come back with anything specific. I'm going to be picking up a stock 2WD JK and converting it to 4WD with an Atlas and some Dana 60's. Plan is to run 36's Anyone here tried that? A fairly famous local shop (Off Road Evolution) can convert a 2WD with parts for cheaper than I could pick up a 4WD Rubicon, break the 44's and regear. Atlas, 60's, chromoly axles, and 37's just sounds like more fun!
You need to talk to Bond (007jeep) he owns outlaw offroad and has done this conversion the right way.

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7032

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #3 of 24 Old 05-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to VEGASSMAN Send a message via Yahoo to VEGASSMAN

Quote:

Just go 38's since you can't make up your mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 05-24-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

HAHA screw you Chris! Kudos for the attention to detail though!

ALL FUN!
post #5 of 24 Old 05-24-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
You need to talk to Bond (007jeep) he owns outlaw offroad and has done this conversion the right way.

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7032
Thanks for the link! Have any silver 2wd's on the lot for sale?

ALL FUN!
post #6 of 24 Old 05-24-2009, 09:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah...definitely talk to Bond at Outlaw Offroad about this. His rig makes me drool whenever I see it. Check out some of the pics/video from the First Annual JKO run at Tinbenders and you'll see it. It pretty much walks over everything.

Dirty's Minions don't officially exist. They are a myth, a bedtime story, a whispered rumor. They are ghosts.

post #7 of 24 Old 05-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
Red face

Quote:
Thanks for the link! Have any silver 2wd's on the lot for sale?
I met Bond in Moab,UT and he is a stand up guy and builds bad ass ****.

No we don't sell 2wd's for the obvious reasons!

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #8 of 24 Old 05-24-2009, 09:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You could just buy the el cheapo x in 4wd,and still do the heavy duty conversion to a rubi killer.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #9 of 24 Old 05-24-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
You could just buy the el cheapo x in 4wd,and still do the heavy duty conversion to a rubi killer.
Not excited about paying for Dana 44's just so I can replace them.

ALL FUN!
post #10 of 24 Old 05-24-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I met Bond in Moab,UT and he is a stand up guy and builds bad ass ****.

No we don't sell 2wd's for the obvious reasons!

Jason
I'll call them up this week, I'm local to them.

ALL FUN!
post #11 of 24 Old 05-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Not excited about paying for Dana 44's just so I can replace them.
if you by the X you only pay for the front D30 and rear D44

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #12 of 24 Old 05-25-2009, 09:17 AM
TrailDuty.com

You can run 37's on D44's with very few issues, plenty of people are doing it. Obviously 60's are going to be stronger and capable of handling more abuse, and less likely to leave you stranded.

FWIW My first tires were Irok 36's and I grew to dislike them over time. No sidewall traction and unless you air down to single digits they don't grip well, plus they are heavy as a 40.
post #13 of 24 Old 05-25-2009, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
You can run 37's on D44's with very few issues, plenty of people are doing it. Obviously 60's are going to be stronger and capable of handling more abuse, and less likely to leave you stranded.

FWIW My first tires were Irok 36's and I grew to dislike them over time. No sidewall traction and unless you air down to single digits they don't grip well, plus they are heavy as a 40.
I've already got tires picked out - our CJ has been running them for years and they've, to me, been the best performing tires I've ever seen. True, gearing and suspension make a major impact but I've never seen a tire perform better than Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs.

I know they aren't hardcore kevlar whatevers but I'll be damned if we have not climbed past rigs with nearly 5 digits poured into rubber.

That and adding some beadlocks will make for a very potent duo. I'd like to not run D44's - especially since the majority of the people I know with loads of time on the trail say that a JK, with it's weight already out of the box, will make short work of a D44 and 37's.

What would you guys suggest for a 6.5" lift? I'd like to do zero body lift.

ALL FUN!

Last edited by FUN LS1; 05-25-2009 at 09:56 AM.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Rock God

The TeraFlex 6" LA works well...
post #15 of 24 Old 05-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Openly Hostile

The kevlars are Goodyears new MTR.

The 6" teraflex longarm kit is really nice, but if you are really only going to run 37's you can keep it lower because you really only "need" 4 inches to clear 37's

Jason
post #16 of 24 Old 05-25-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
The kevlars are Goodyears new MTR.

The 6" teraflex longarm kit is really nice, but if you are really only going to run 37's you can keep it lower because you really only "need" 4 inches to clear 37's
I've been hearing 6.5" lift though - are people here running 37's and a 4"?

ALL FUN!
post #17 of 24 Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Yeah, you only need 2.5"s for 35's, 4" for 37's, 6" for 40's...Hell, you could run 35's with stock lift if you add 3" bump stop extensions and you will just have limited up travel and a low COG. Granted there are people running 6" lifts for 37's, there are also people running 3" lifts with 37's and Xenon fenders too. As with everything its personal preference tho. I believe the bump stops are the same between a 4 and 6 inch so it's really just a matter of how much static droop you want and if you want a lower COG or not.

Jason
post #18 of 24 Old 05-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I just did 37's on a JK with the Tera flex 4" and xeon fenders acould have done a 3" with those fenders and been ok.

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread...t=rubicon+swap

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #19 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 05:53 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
You can run 37's with 4" of lift no problem, you will get into the fender flares a little and rub here and there, but not much. Trimming the stock flares or going with some steel ones or Xenons will help.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 06:05 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
That and adding some beadlocks will make for a very potent duo. I'd like to not run D44's - especially since the majority of the people I know with loads of time on the trail say that a JK, with it's weight already out of the box, will make short work of a D44 and 37's.
I wonder what they are basing that on, because it isn't 44's breaking on JK's with 37's. There is no doubt that a 60 will be stronger and is a better choice, but the 44's are in a JK are not the same as 44's used on other Jeeps.
post #21 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

A good read!

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/te...ion/index.html

ALL FUN!
post #22 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Just talked to the owner at Off Road Evolution, we decided that for my goals, plans, and wish list that my best route is finding a used, affordable, 2WD JK. They highly suggested I run 40's instead of 37's so we are going to go with a set of Dana 60's. Probably going to run a Terra-Flex long arm system, might look into http://offroadevolution.com/store/pr...prod=EVO-LEVER

ALL FUN!
post #23 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Rock God

Mel is a great guy. I have a lot of his parts on my rig and I don't regret any of it...
post #24 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 05:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

A little late but here's another 2wd to 4wd conversion

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=2wd%2A

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode