newb in need of help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

newb in need of help

Kinda new in the jeep world and was wondering what kind of lift I could get that is pretty cheap due to bein a student I have no money and would like to be 5 inches or higher. Also I live in l.a. (Lower alabama) so I don't do much rock krawlin but hit the trails and creeks. Any advice would be appreciated

If you aint bein good be good at it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

well, if you do not have much money then 5" may be more then you want to do.

3"-4" you can get away with for pretty cheap. Once you get above 4" you start needing many more supporting mods to make that happen. unless you are looking to run over 37" tires you should not need more then 4" lift.

Are you set on doing 5" on the cheap? If you are ok for recomendations on 4"..that will automatically knock a coupl G's of the price tag since you could then get away withou having to get Driveshafts, adjustable arms etc.

While those things are great to have even on a 4" lift, we can suggest ways to do 4" or below on the cheap
post #3 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So a 4 inch would be big enough to run 37's and will there be any rubbing? What kind of lifts are durable and cheap for a 4?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The determining factor on what lift to get is what size tires you'll be running. So, what size tires will you be using?

35" or less, I would recommend a 2.5" BB with a 1" body lift. That would give you a nice stance and would be ample for what you plan to do and on an affordable budget.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean green View Post
So a 4 inch would be big enough to run 37's and will there be any rubbing? What kind of lifts are durable and cheap for a 4?
37" tires? Disregard my last post. You need a bigger budget, my friend. Maybe it would help us if you stated a monetary figure, instead of just saying "cheap". Your definition of cheap might be different from mine.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well I already have a set of 37/12.5/17 dick cepek mud terrain from my old truck and was lookin to spend about 2,ooo on a lift. That's my money range

post #7 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Granite Guru

2 door or 4 door?
post #8 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Granite Guru

And you are gonna have to...well want to regear if you are gonna run 37's. 4:10 gears with 35's are pushing it.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

4 door wrangler unlimited

post #10 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 12:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Agreed- plan on a re-gear. 4.56 is MINIMUM with 37's, 5.13's seems to be more the going rate. That alone will hurt that budget a fair bit if you don't DIY. Even so, figure $5-600 for gears alone, maybe $5-800 for installation. OEM gears with 37's will leave you DEAD slow.
Figuring beyond that, check with Rough Country- their 4" lift (without arms) runs $499, and they'll do a discount if you say you're from the "other" forum (they'll ask- say yes ). Beyond that, you'll at LEAST want front lower control arms ($249 from Rock Krawler, and they may hook you up since you're on here), a front track bar ($149 from RK), and an alignment- figure $100-150 for that.
Beyond that, sooner or later, you'll need an aftermarket driveshaft ($500 or so), adjustable rear upper control arms ($199 from RK) to set your pinion angle.
That's about as cheap as possible with new equipment. Even if you install the gears and lift yourself, that's still $1500 for the basic kit, with track bar and front LCA's, not including shipping on parts or discounts.
Doing a 4" lift yourself for ~$2k is POSSIBLE, but I wouldn't recommend it. Save up the extra scratch to have an oh **** fund for the DS and rear upper control arms, and to do a full lift kit. The 3.5" lifts from Rock Krawler are a great setup for not a ton of $ (and they're good guys to boot), as are the Fera Flex, although their setups are more expensive (still great guys there, too). The bottom line is, while you CAN, you would be MUCH better off saving up the $ to do it RIGHT. Adding more adjustable control arms (in kit form, or individually) will allow you to improve, or at least maintain, your ride quality on-road and off. Having the cushion $ for a driveshaft and rear uppers is almost mandatory above 4", and at least the smart thing to do.
Best of luck, and ask any questions you come across- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #11 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 01:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ya know,if you sell the 37's,buy a set of 35's you could get away with a 2"bb and a 1" bl.You can always go big after your done with school.If I were in your boat,I would go for 33's with a 2"bb and call it done for awhile.....just a thought

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #12 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
Ya know,if you sell the 37's,buy a set of 35's you could get away with a 2"bb and a 1" bl.You can always go big after your done with school.If I were in your boat,I would go for 33's with a 2"bb and call it done for awhile.....just a thought
x2. And with the money you save you could still afford a bumper, winch, a high lift, some recovery gear, floor mats, CB radio...well, you get my point. But hey, it's your money.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Appreciate the info and advice. Schools out for summer so I'm just gonna save every dime for a good setup in the fall. I just need to quit lookin at this forum cause all yalls jeeps look great you bastards lol

post #14 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Rock God

5" of lift is ALOT for the JK's. From what my friends in older Jeeps have said, you had to lift alot more to get the same results. I have a 2.5" lift and 35"s with tons of room. Also don't "have" to regear yet with the stock rubi gears. My build so far has been fairly inexpensive and really functional. If I had it to do all over again and had 2 grand to spend on the lift and "needed" to fit 37's on(Assuming you have a different budget for gears/armor) I would go with the TeraFlex or PolyPerformance 3-3.5" complete lifts (track bars and control arms addressed) and either trim the fenders, get some xenon flares or a 1" body lift.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #15 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 02:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

You know, you could always sell a kidney on the black market... not that I've tried...

I would agree on selling the 37's. Throw down a set of 35's, and spend the extra green on hooking up a nice 2.5" lift. If you rub, a 1" body lift runs about $100, so no biggie there (a trip or 2 to the sperm bank ). That'll be a fair bit lower maintenance, AND you still get a sick rig. Plus, from that lift, you can always go higher later Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #16 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So what's the black markets number so I could get a hold of them lol. Marshin do u have any pics I could see of your lift and tires?

post #17 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 02:37 PM
TrailDuty.com

There are many way you can do this, and a whole range of lift kits available, and even more opinions as to which one to get.

If it were me, I'd go with a Poly Performance Stage I and their Synergy monotube shocks. Then do the gears as and when I could afford them, then look at building on the Stage I kit to get it closer it to a Stage III.

You are likely to need drive shafts, at a front, at some point, but get whatever use you can out of the front first.

You'll also need to trim the fenders for some flex room.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 02:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean green View Post
So what's the black markets number so I could get a hold of them lol. Marshin do u have any pics I could see of your lift and tires?
I know you asked Marshin but this is mine. 35" tires (on 15" rims) w/ 2.5 spring lift and 1" BL

Nothing fancy but it gets me through the same trails that guys around here run with much nicer rigs.
post #19 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That looks great.....nice job

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #20 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That looks sick. That's prolly the route I will take. I appreciate it

post #21 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 05:41 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
That looks great.....nice job
X2 Looks purposeful
post #22 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Rock God

Of corse the 4 door picture is probably a little better for you to get a good idea from. IMHO with the SWB the tires look bigger.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode