XHD bumpers? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
XHD bumpers?

Anybody wearing a Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper? I'm shopping a front bumper that meets the following criteria:

1) Stubby or darn near for good approach angle
2) Incorporates factory fogs cuz I'm too cheap to buy new ones (yet)
3) Incorporates winch w/o blocking the entire grill
4) Has a stinger, cuz my wife likes 'em, and it's a good place to hang the winch hook
5) Doesn't look or function like a piece o' crap.

I'm leaning toward the rugged ridge cuz I know it meets 1-4. Anybody have an opinion? I trimmed my fenders last week and now the stock bumper looks even worse than it did in the first place. That's what I get for a free mod Oh yeah forgot to mention I'm poor, so price is always part of the equation...

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Granite Guru

I just installed a ruggid ridge front stubby with stinger. I love it! No winch mount though. I know Venom has the same but a winch mount and he said he likes it. I installed delta fogs in my bumper, had to bend the mount brackets a bit to fit but it eventually got in there. I also installed the xhd rear bumper and very happy with it as well. Phil D is running a stubby...I think...with a huge arse stinger. Not sure what it is though. So far, I haven't heard of any complaints from anyone about the ruggid ridge bumpers.
post #3 of 48 Old 05-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Granite Guru

Got one with winch mount....love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have a stubby with stinger and winch.AND LOVE IT!!! I have even used my stinger to slide up very steep aproach angles.
good quality welds too.
post #5 of 48 Old 05-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Wheeler

Have the front, rear and tire carrier. They should have put some gussets in the rear bumper ends but other than that they've been awesome.
[IMG][/IMG]
post #6 of 48 Old 05-20-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Sweet thanks for the pics, the bumper looks great with Xenon's. I looked pretty hard at those fenders myself but decided to try my hand at a home trim first, if I can't get it right I figure I was going to trash the stock fenders anyway.... I've got the top halves cut & installed, and the front wells installed, haven't done the rear wells yet and I haven't figured out how to tie the two back together. If it would quit raining for thirty minutes I might be able to work on it..... it's been raining 3 days nonstop and it's supposed to keep going all weekend Anyhow, back on topic...... Everything I'm hearing is good and I found a review on this sight as well...... so the trigger is pulled!

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #7 of 48 Old 05-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Wheeler

I've beat the crap out of mine and it is still hanging on there. Don't bother getting the end caps unless you have smaller tires or don't flex, though... I have to take mine off before I go wheeling because they end up rubbing.
post #8 of 48 Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Granite Guru

I've got the XHD with the pre-runner and really like it. It cuts down slightly on approach angle, but has already saved me from a broken headlight, smashed grille or worse.

Once, lady backed into me a drive thru lane, ruined her trunk, not a spot on my bumper.

Another time I slid hard into a tree on a muddy trail, with just the stubby it would've hit the passenger side of the grille for sure.
post #9 of 48 Old 05-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJTJK View Post
I've beat the crap out of mine and it is still hanging on there. Don't bother getting the end caps unless you have smaller tires or don't flex, though... I have to take mine off before I go wheeling because they end up rubbing.
Just an FYI - we saw this happening on some of the early ends, and have since altered the design to provide a bit more clearance. They will never have the clearance of the stubby, but it is now improved. 37's would still hit, but you'd have to work to get 35's to hit with the updated design.
post #10 of 48 Old 05-27-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

ARGHH I hate waiting...... stupid bumper is on backorder.... supposed to arrive in Miami warehouse June 1... having it free shipped to Fortec shop in Jacksonville so I can pick it up and save a few pennies. Hey RR guy this backorder is just a minor hiccup right, not some "we're held up in customs indefinitely and wait til Christmas" kinda thing??? I kinda figured since they've been on the market for a good while that all the supply chain issues would be ironed out by now. I swear I'm like a little kid with this stuff... I have all he patience in the world in every other aspect of my life, but the Jeep brings out that "instant gratification" thing in me like crazy.

post #11 of 48 Old 05-28-2009, 03:56 AM
Rock God

I ordered the RR rear bumper/tire carrier in June '08. Received it in February '09. If things haven't improved, it sounds like you better go to your doc and get some Valium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-mitchells View Post
ARGHH I hate waiting...... stupid bumper is on backorder.... supposed to arrive in Miami warehouse June 1... having it free shipped to Fortec shop in Jacksonville so I can pick it up and save a few pennies. Hey RR guy this backorder is just a minor hiccup right, not some "we're held up in customs indefinitely and wait til Christmas" kinda thing??? I kinda figured since they've been on the market for a good while that all the supply chain issues would be ironed out by now. I swear I'm like a little kid with this stuff... I have all he patience in the world in every other aspect of my life, but the Jeep brings out that "instant gratification" thing in me like crazy.

'07 Rubicon
post #12 of 48 Old 05-28-2009, 04:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just wish Rugged Ridge would make a "Stubby" tire carrier bumper.
post #13 of 48 Old 05-28-2009, 05:01 AM
Rock God

the bumpers are worth the wait. I had the front with a stinger, their rock rails and now their front skid. They all have done their job for much less that the price of other companies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #14 of 48 Old 05-28-2009, 05:22 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
the bumpers are worth the wait. I had the front with a stinger, their rock rails and now their front skid. They all have done their job for much less that the price of other companies
I'll agree with that. If you're tired of looking at 500+ dollar front bumpers or thousand dollar rear bumpers, the RR bumpers bring a lot of bang for the buck.

'07 Rubicon
post #15 of 48 Old 05-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Granite Guru

Anybody know the thickness of the plate used in that bumper?

Their website doesn't say, no writeups in 2 catalogs say a thing about it. The winch mount, the mounting plate for my winch and pre dilled bolt pattern is all built in right? I've been trying to find a shot down into the bucket of the winch bumpers to see. All the above I ordered 6500.00 in everything else but the front bumper because I'm a bit hesitant.
post #16 of 48 Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 AM
Rock God

Not sure on the thickness but yes the area for the winch mount is pre drilled so just put your winch on it and bolt it up. From when I installed mine I suggest mounting the winch first and the putting the bumper on... It was a little rough picking up the bumper + the SI9500 mile marker winch. The winch was a bit of a tight fit so I had to feed some cable through the opening first, then put on the fairlead with the bolts reversed and then put on the winch. Good thing was the bumper sits on frame rails so you can then put the stinger on it and bolt it all up and not worry with it falling on you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
post #17 of 48 Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Not sure on the thickness but yes the area for the winch mount is pre drilled so just put your winch on it and bolt it up. From when I installed mine I suggest mounting the winch first and the putting the bumper on... It was a little rough picking up the bumper + the SI9500 mile marker winch. The winch was a bit of a tight fit so I had to feed some cable through the opening first, then put on the fairlead with the bolts reversed and then put on the winch. Good thing was the bumper sits on frame rails so you can then put the stinger on it and bolt it all up and not worry with it falling on you.
YUP. IN ORDER OF INSTALL...

1. fairlead
2.fog lights
3.cable through
4. winch
5. TOP bolts of stinger
6. place on frame rails
7. BOTTOM bolts of stinger to bumper

TRUST ME. I learned the hard way.
post #18 of 48 Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I just wish Rugged Ridge would make a "Stubby" tire carrier bumper.
Ditto on that. Once my fund is built back up I may go with the one they have and cut it down myself, but I'd rather get it finished out of the box. I definitely don't want the ends on the rear bumper. My fenders are trimmed down and I think the factory one looks stupid sticking out.

post #19 of 48 Old 05-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
YUP. IN ORDER OF INSTALL...

1. fairlead
2.fog lights
3.cable through
4. winch
5. TOP bolts of stinger
6. place on frame rails
7. BOTTOM bolts of stinger to bumper

TRUST ME. I learned the hard way.
yep. Only thing I did different was I put the bumper on the frame and then the stinger on. I was by myself, no jacks to get up with so it was much easier to pick up with no stinger on. Who knows, maybe I will get another one when i start spending money on my Jeep again.

2006 LJ - current
post #20 of 48 Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I was by myself, no jacks to get up with
yup . me too. That was why I attached the stinger 1st. it gave me somewhere to grab onto. it worked for me, but I'm 6'3", so I had pretty good leverage.
post #21 of 48 Old 06-03-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Hehe the bumper is in on time and waiting for me... all I have to do now is find an excuse to get up to Jax! I'll post pics as soon as I get it on. I'll have a "tow hook & light hole" bumper to sell here soon, I'll post it in the appropriate spot once it's off the jeep but I figured I'd go ahead and mention it if there's a need out there. Have those of you with XHD bumpers been able to install the factory fogs or should I plan on aftermarkets? It looks like they are in a similar position so I'm guessing I won't need to extend the harness... guess I'll see when I get into it.

post #22 of 48 Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

they fit. it's tight on length, but they fit.
post #23 of 48 Old 06-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Granite Guru

Plenty of room with the Delta upgrade harness.
post #24 of 48 Old 06-10-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Ok picked up all the pieces/parts last Friday and Saturday and had time and help installing the bumper and winch Monday night. Here are some pics for any of you considering the same thing. Notes to follow:

and from inside this is all the stinger you see:

I had 2 problems a more intelligent or experienced person could have avoided. First, I installed the winch on the bumper before installing the bumper. That was GOOD. I did not however install the black negative cable to the winch first. It attaches on the bottom of the motor in the 3/4" gap between the motor and the winch plate, as indicated by the arrow. That was BAD. I had to pull the winch back off after the bumper was installed to fix this, and it was a major PIA.

Second, once everything was bolted up I stepped back and there was the fog light harness, dangling like Christmas lights from the bottom of the bumper. There is a SMALL gap between the skid plate bar and the bumper, as indicated in this pic. You cannot fit the harness and it's plug ends back through this gap, so my brother-in-law had to loosen off the lower 4 bolts and "bounce" the bumper upwards by pushing the stinger while I stuffed the harness and ends up through the gap. This was STUPID and I'm lucky to still have all my fingers for the effort.

Anyhow, when all is said and done I'm very happy with it. Besides my own stupid errors the thing went on very well... all the bolt holes lined up perfectly and I had PLENTY of slack to keep the factory fog light harness, in fact I had to secure the extra with some wire ties.

post #25 of 48 Old 06-10-2009, 04:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-mitchells View Post
paint that thing black and it would look just like mine!
looks good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode