Newbie Questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 05-15-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Newbie Questions

Sorry for te newbie post, but Ive got a couple of questions I was hoping to find answers to that I couldnt find searching.

Im about to buy an 09, and am trying to figure out a few details.

I was planning on getting the 32" tire package, but as far as I can tell the deepest gears I can get from the factory would be 3.73. How would they be with 32" tires? Not as a wheeler, but a DD. Gas sucker and gutless? 4.10s be better? Regearing would be an option I suppose, and 33's.

Obviously the problem goes away if I get a rubicon, but Im not holding my breath.

Are there any suspension/drivetrain differences between the X and X S? I can find out all the option differences, but I was curious if there are any important differences.

Anything you owners out there passed up but wish you had had from the factory? Or got talked into and didn't need?

How much are these things going below MSRP these days? Never bought new, don't really know a starting point to work out price.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Wheeler

As far as pricing, here is what a dealer is selling for in AZ.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7381

I bought the Rubicon package, so can't really help you with the options.

09 Silver Unlimited Rubicon
Goodyear MT/Rs 285/70R/17
Poison Spyder BFH
Finishline West Rear bumper
post #3 of 33 Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I was thinking ~2K under MSRP would be about right. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 05-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Rock God

The stock 32" set up with 3:73's is great. I have, and would only buy an off-road Wrangler with, the 6 speed. But you should test drive several and know for yourself what you're getting.

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #5 of 33 Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98XJSport View Post
I was thinking ~2K under MSRP would be about right. Thanks.

Do your homework. You can do better
post #6 of 33 Old 05-16-2009, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It will have to be an auto unfortunately since the only reason Im getting another jeep is to have a DD that my girlfriend can drive. Otherwise I would be searching out manual cars, etc.

I figure starting 3-4K less than MSRP and wouldnt complain if I got it for 2K less. Things tend to be a it more expensive up here it seems.
post #7 of 33 Old 05-16-2009, 06:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98XJSport View Post
It will have to be an auto unfortunately since the only reason Im getting another jeep is to have a DD that my girlfriend can drive. Otherwise I would be searching out manual cars, etc.

I figure starting 3-4K less than MSRP and wouldnt complain if I got it for 2K less. Things tend to be a it more expensive up here it seems.
Back when I bought mine was when the JK Unlimiteds were flying off the lots so fast they couldn't keep them in stock. So it was really tough to negotiate lower price. But I was able to get $2000 below MSRP which made it $500 over invoice (a fantastic deal at the time). Now with car sales in a slump and the JK is no longer an exciting "new" vehicle, I'm betting a savvy negotiator could get below invoice.
post #8 of 33 Old 05-16-2009, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The dealership seems overly excited to make something work out, so Im hoping to use that to my advantage.

Any thoughts on how an auto with 32" tires and 3.73s is going to do?

If I have to regear Ill probably just do 33x12.50s and do it once. Wont be a wheeler for years.Looks like if I did a 1" body lift or a coil spring spacer BB I would hve mroe than enough room for 33s? Might not even need that. So many threads to read, so little time...
post #9 of 33 Old 05-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Granite Guru

Seems that you should just spend a little more and get a Rubicon. You get 4.10 gears, 4:1 transfer case, lockers and the 32" tires.

2008 JK Rubicon
86ish Formula Toyota
post #10 of 33 Old 05-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to srbaker2 Send a message via MSN to srbaker2 Send a message via Yahoo to srbaker2

Right now I'm running 33" tires with 3.21 gears in my X and it's not to bad. I do wish I had gotten the rubicon though.
post #11 of 33 Old 05-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Rock God

IF a Rubicon package is what you want/need you can get great deals on some of the packages. I have a friend that just bought one because the dealer gave him a deal that was only slightly over the X sticker he was looking at. But since they're the same Jeep - get the one that fits YOUR needs best. 32's are the stock tires for JK's (other than the X base package) so rest assured there's no problem or even consideration running them.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #12 of 33 Old 05-16-2009, 07:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

My advice would be to teach the girl to drive stick! Also, good life advice- don't make big decisions based on a girl until there's a ring involved! Been there, done that- nothing good comes of it. Get it in stick, turn it into a project for her to learn on your new baby Good way to learn if she's a keeper or a throw-back Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #13 of 33 Old 05-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
My advice would be to teach the girl to drive stick!

Ron - 2010 Wrangler JK Sport 4dr - Dark Charcoal
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" Jimmy Buffet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 33 Old 05-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Rock God

255/75/17 = 32.1x10/17 w/3.73 and auto=real good as a DD. I get 23.4mpg on the highway.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #15 of 33 Old 05-16-2009, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Tried out a Sahara today. Nice, the gears work out fine. It doesn't throw you back on the butt dyno like my 4.0 does, but its as fast or faster judging by the traffic around me. Course anything feels fast compared to a XJ with 33s and 3.55s.

Looks like as soon as the can locate one (rare around here right now - lessens my negotiating chances) I will be the owner of an 09 X S package, soft top auto. Looking at right around 20K (thats including the over 2K in tax and fees) is as good as I can find, like I said its become a rare vehicle. Ive been to many dealerships with less than 3 JKs, some of the big dealerships had 5 or 6. Usually they have 10-20 this time of year.

I checked out a nice Rubicon there too, lots of stuff on it with a MSRP of ~37K. Ouch.

And as far as teaching her to drive stick, I actually have. Shes just not good at it, and I dont like replacing clutches. Ah well jeep tends to make a good feeling auto, I can live with it.

Last edited by 98XJSport; 05-16-2009 at 01:40 PM.
post #16 of 33 Old 05-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Rock God

They're never good at it - and you'll think they'll never get it but........ I bought my 16 year-old a '97 TJ 5-speed and she learned to do it great. Not in the first or second week but after a few weeks it finally clicked. Now she can do what most of the guys can't - wheel a manual Wrangler. That puts her where a lot of the "guys" would like to be. Plus it's a skill they'll always have.

post #17 of 33 Old 05-16-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

For mine its a mental issue. I got her into my celica and had her try it once. Took off 3 times, no stalls no grinding. Then she starts to think about it, overcomplicates it and scares herself.

Plus I dont want her wheeling my new jeep, she can wheel the XJ if anything its bulletproof and relatively worthless. Can always trash it, steal the parts and buy another for a couple grand.
post #18 of 33 Old 05-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Wheeler

I did a lot of research before I went looking for my JK, I bought a used Unlimited X with the 6 speed. It came with factory tow package, Rubi springs and 4:10 gears front and back. Put the 33" s on it and new rims. This is my daily driver / service vehicle. I can average 12.9 Km/100L if I drive like a conservativly. The choice is ultimatly yours, what do you want it to do for you in 5 years? Take the time to research and then make an informed decision, you won't regret it if you do.
post #19 of 33 Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Like learning a language, immersion is the key to learning stick. If you have to do it regularly, you WILL improve. Either way, best of luck, and enjoy Mark W.

post #20 of 33 Old 05-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Rock God

I say if you can swing it, go with a Rubicon. You'd probably save yourself money in the long run. If you went to 33's, you wouldn't have to regear, and even if you decided to go with 35's, it would be livable. I have an X and wish like heck I would have had the money to get a rubicon. Unfortunately, I didnt' even have the money to get the S package with the 32" tires. I'm stuck with the little 29's and I scrape on everything out on the trail, its really annoying.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #21 of 33 Old 05-17-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ill hear back in the next couple of days to see if a S package has been located. Then Im going to do 32-33s myself. The one I test drove had the 255/70s so a 32" tire and it felt fine. Probably go to a wider 32, maybe a Cooper STT or a BFG.

I would save for the Rubicon but I already have an XJ Im building. Its cheaper, and more capable for the wheeling I do. Mostly back roads, camping etc where I need the cargo space.

Couldn't agree more about learning to drive stick, thats how I taught myself. I was 17, bought myself my first vehicle, an 87 YJ. Learned to drive it in a day, perfected driving stick in the weeks to come as it was my only transportation.

Adapt or die trying
post #22 of 33 Old 05-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to armedsks

I bought a standard X wrangler and ended going on Craigslist and picked up a set of 5 sahara wheels(550$). With under 5k miles on them

Heck of a difference getting rid of the pizza cutter tires!

I did however notice a slight difference in power loss with the bigger tires. I have to downshift out of 6th gear more often on inclines. I do have the 3.73's

Plenty of good deals to be had if your looking for factory upgrades. Lots of people get rid of stuff as soon as they buy it.

I also picked up factory step bars for 100$. Listed on mopar for 289$
post #23 of 33 Old 05-18-2009, 03:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm running 35's with 3.73's and a six speed and have NO problems.
post #24 of 33 Old 05-19-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well I did it. Put a down payment on an X S, will be getting it thursday afternoon.
So my next question, what kind of tires do they usually come with? Any idea of relative worth? Probably gonna sell them rght off and put on something a bit more agressive in a 32 or 33 ish tire.
post #25 of 33 Old 05-19-2009, 04:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Congrats, brother! Did you end up kicking down for the stick, or go auto?
Also, on the tires, check with Tire Rack for as-new pricing- go by that, give or take, and throw them up on the forums and Craigslist Mark W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode