Towing a trailer for about 1400 miles round trip. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-14-2009, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Towing a trailer for about 1400 miles round trip.

So I bought a new 09 Sahara with the 18's on it. I added a hitch and the wiring myself. I did use it to pull a decent sized trailer and a new riding mower about 100 miles round trip to my parents place. The JK didn't seem to like it a lot.

Anyway in a little over a week I'm taking off for a 1400 mile round trip drive pulling a small trailer and 2 sportbikes. 450-500 lbs each. I'm thinking 1500 lbs TOPS.

Now I have the stock Sahara gearing - and I'll be honest... I have no idea what that is. With the stock sahara wheels and tires. Jeep is bone stock except a drop-in filter and lots of pirate stickers inside

So do I need to completely stay out of overdrive for this entire trip? Also - say at 70-75 mph what kind of MPG should I expect? 10? 13? This is gonna be expensive I know.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Granite Guru

here's what i can tell you;

I have 35's with 5.13 gears
I took a trip, about 650 miles round trip
roughly half was flat as a pancake and the other half texas hill country
I was pulling a 1900lb popup camper
averaged a little over 13mpg and that was driving anywhere from 55-75

I'd imagine stock gearing and stock tires would net you a tad under that so 11-12 mpg probably depending on terrain/speed

-One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-14-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post

I'd imagine stock gearing and stock tires would net you a tad under that so 11-12 mpg probably depending on terrain/speed
Cheezus crust! Okay well this is gonna be pricey. Most of the trip is flat - until I get up in the mountains - TN/NC area. Hopefully I'll get a little better if I'm easy on the pedal - especially with smaller tires than you have.

So did you run with OD off the entire way?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post

But your lifted on 35's he is bone stock tire size and gearing he should get atleast 2 mpg better then you did. Just an estimate it may be more
post #5 of 16 Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 PM
JKO Addict!

But 35's with 5.13 gears puts the Jeep in a better power band and you can run with overdrive on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #6 of 16 Old 05-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Granite Guru

yeah I ran with overdrive on the whole time. it kicked out a couple times when overtaking etc but nothing out of the ordinary.

IMO, I'd say that 35's and 5.13's is better for towing than a stock rubi with 4.10's

I never towed with the Jeep stock and honestly don't remember how it drove stock (bought it new and within 3 weeks I had 35's). I can tell you that I wouldn't even think about towing with 35's and 4.10's, I couldn't keep it in OD going over the overpasses when it had 4.10's :/

-One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Rock God

Deals Gap trip?
post #8 of 16 Old 05-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1naylor View Post
So I bought a new 09 Sahara with the 18's on it. I added a hitch and the wiring myself. I did use it to pull a decent sized trailer and a new riding mower about 100 miles round trip to my parents place. The JK didn't seem to like it a lot.

Anyway in a little over a week I'm taking off for a 1400 mile round trip drive pulling a small trailer and 2 sportbikes. 450-500 lbs each. I'm thinking 1500 lbs TOPS.

Now I have the stock Sahara gearing - and I'll be honest... I have no idea what that is. With the stock sahara wheels and tires. Jeep is bone stock except a drop-in filter and lots of pirate stickers inside

So do I need to completely stay out of overdrive for this entire trip? Also - say at 70-75 mph what kind of MPG should I expect? 10? 13? This is gonna be expensive I know.

Thanks.
We've DYNOed alot of JK's and we know exactly how much power they make and where they make it. These engines get the best gas mileage around 2200rpm, that's where the engines efficiency cross's over (coincidentally it where our supercharger kicks in). Unfortunately the transmissions tuning wants to keep your RPM's down BELOW 2000 for emissions which completely kills your power band.

There are two things you want to keep in mind 1) if your JK has less than 5000 miles its actually de-tuned. Its tuned more conservatively for the "proper" break in period. Typically after 5000 miles you'll pick up a bunch of throttle response and about 7hp over all. 2) The 3.73gearing sucks for towing, its completely mismatched for the over drive and torque converter lock up... If your going to keep it stock try to find some 4.10's used and install them, they are better matched to the automatics gearing (and what originally came as an opion for tomwing is 07). 4.10's are stock rubicon gears, there should be plenty laying around. Or if you are going larger tire eventually the minimum gearing is 4.88 (33's) 5.13 (35's) 5.38 (37) - this combination best matches the power band/trans gearing.

Or you could always supercharger it and make 240 rear wheel HP and 243lb/ft of torque

Sorry couldn't resist...

RIPPTECH
post #9 of 16 Old 05-15-2009, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

You guessed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangling Steel View Post
Deals Gap trip?
For the past uhhh 7 years or so about 100 or more of my crazy friends and myself converge from all over the country and Canada to take over a hotel in Alcoa, TN for about a week. We ride Deal's Gap daily and whatever other roads we feel like - then drink until about 4am every night... it's lots of fun
post #10 of 16 Old 05-15-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rippmods - don't think I haven't already been checking out the supercharger option! The car I traded for this jeep was a mazdaspeed 6 - awd turbo with a LOT of mods and tuning. It was close to 350hp at the wheels and was a lot of fun. Unfortunately I broke a lot of stuff... went through a few turbos and a clutch and still owed money on the car - it was an 06. My warranty was about to be done in a few miles so I knew I wouldn't like paying to fix it and make payments as well.

I drive 80 or more miles a day and figured I'd get a JK and make use of the lifetime warranty. My payment stayed the same, insurance went down, gas mileage sucks but at least I don't have to use 93 octane anymore.

The only problem is the JK just doesnt... uhhh GO when I tell it to. Unfortunately the supercharger is gonna destroy my warranty and that's why I got this thing. Of course who knows what will happen to all these warranties before long they way Chrysler is going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
We've DYNOed alot of JK's and we know exactly how much power they make and where they make it. These engines get the best gas mileage around 2200rpm, that's where the engines efficiency cross's over (coincidentally it where our supercharger kicks in). Unfortunately the transmissions tuning wants to keep your RPM's down BELOW 2000 for emissions which completely kills your power band.

There are two things you want to keep in mind 1) if your JK has less than 5000 miles its actually de-tuned. Its tuned more conservatively for the "proper" break in period. Typically after 5000 miles you'll pick up a bunch of throttle response and about 7hp over all. 2) The 3.73gearing sucks for towing, its completely mismatched for the over drive and torque converter lock up... If your going to keep it stock try to find some 4.10's used and install them, they are better matched to the automatics gearing (and what originally came as an opion for tomwing is 07). 4.10's are stock rubicon gears, there should be plenty laying around. Or if you are going larger tire eventually the minimum gearing is 4.88 (33's) 5.13 (35's) 5.38 (37) - this combination best matches the power band/trans gearing.

Or you could always supercharger it and make 240 rear wheel HP and 243lb/ft of torque

Sorry couldn't resist...

RIPPTECH
post #11 of 16 Old 05-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1naylor View Post
Rippmods - don't think I haven't already been checking out the supercharger option! The car I traded for this jeep was a mazdaspeed 6 - awd turbo with a LOT of mods and tuning. It was close to 350hp at the wheels and was a lot of fun. Unfortunately I broke a lot of stuff... went through a few turbos and a clutch and still owed money on the car - it was an 06. My warranty was about to be done in a few miles so I knew I wouldn't like paying to fix it and make payments as well.

I drive 80 or more miles a day and figured I'd get a JK and make use of the lifetime warranty. My payment stayed the same, insurance went down, gas mileage sucks but at least I don't have to use 93 octane anymore.

The only problem is the JK just doesnt... uhhh GO when I tell it to. Unfortunately the supercharger is gonna destroy my warranty and that's why I got this thing. Of course who knows what will happen to all these warranties before long they way Chrysler is going.
Yea... we totally understand - we've been in the "import" performance business for 17years - in 07 we made the jump to Jeeps... couldn't be happier....

Bottom line - Jeeps don't break - not that they don't break or you can't break them - there not the same - we took this engine apart at 33000 miles and were very impressed with the internals. The pistons are flat top and strong ring landings a nice size rod with extra oil squirters and Teflon coated skirts.. Plus blowers are nothing like turbos implemented the way we do - there's a lot less heat and RPM -

We're here to help - and no pressure - if you get a chance drive one of our rigs and see if you like it -

if you want NA power we tested the MBRP exhaust to be the most powerful and air filter kits are good to. The combination is good for 19whp - The Hypertec tuning tool works too...

Questions welcome
RIPPTECH
post #12 of 16 Old 05-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Rock God

It would appear that we are like minded when it comes to our toys; although this isn’t my first Jeep.

I also enjoy awd turbo cars, and sport bikes… I sold the STi, and miss it terribly; but I had to let go of one of my toys to save my marriage. The wife doesn’t have the stomach for it, and I had a problem with leaving her at home with the kids while I went off and played. Not good when you don’t include the wifey they say! I will not part with my bike though; it’s staying… She enjoys the Jeep, and we all fit with relative comfort.

And the 11-12mpg is about what you will get if you’re lucky. With a 2 place trailer I am lucky to see 12mpg, and that is with a manual, 4.10’s, and 32’s…

Have a safe trip at the Gap; don’t leave any parts on the tree of shame!

My former, and still current speed fix’s…

post #13 of 16 Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 AM
Granite Guru

I pulled a 12' trailer w/ 1 adult ATVs' and 2 kids ATVs on it and the JK didn't even notice it was there. I would assume I was towwing around 1750 lbs. If the load is balanced w/ the correct amount of tonque weight then you should not see an issue.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Rock God

RIPPMODS, how are the automatics holding up with all that extra power? I was kinda iffy about putting a supercharger on these things, but if the 3.8's internals look as beefy as you say they do, then maybe it would hold up ok over the long run.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #15 of 16 Old 05-17-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Nice busa :0 I still have my cruiser and my sport bike is a Honda 954rr with full hindle system, PCIII of course, filter, Lots of random little hacks and tweaks. Plus a 45 shot of nitrous at the moment.

I keep eyeing new bikes but man for the power mine makes - and weighing LESS than 400 lbs. I can't get rid of it. It weighs less than all the new bikes - even 600's. Now that I've dropped some heavy stock parts off it weighs even less

If you ever need anything for your bike - just let me know. I am the owner of biker performance here in Sherwood.

Check it out www.bikerperformance.com

Of course all the gazillion parts aren't on the site so if you don't see it there - just give us a ring. We don't get beat on price or service.

Take care and ride safe. Oh as for me - I've eaten pavement before on the Dragon so I tend to be a little more cautious these days.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
RIPPMODS, how are the automatics holding up with all that extra power? I was kinda iffy about putting a supercharger on these things, but if the 3.8's internals look as beefy as you say they do, then maybe it would hold up ok over the long run.
Our Shop JK's are automatics. We have tested over 50k miles (since 2007), including wheeling every chance we get, and cross country driving, 2500 mile trips at 12 lbs of boost. We have not had or seen any deterioration from the auto trannys performance. As far as we are concerned the transmission is a tank.
i would like to reference a supercharged JK (Rock Krawler's) heating its tires on an incline before pulling itself basically straight up while the tranny starves for fluid.
YouTube - Rock Krawler Suspension 4 Door JK in Hot Tob on Hells Revenge at Easter Jeep Safari 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode