Trail capabilities of a stock X Unlimited - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-13-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Trail capabilities of a stock X Unlimited

So I知 thinking about getting an X Unlimited, I would love to get a Rubicon just cant afford it. I知 thinking that eventually I値l ad a 2.5 spring lift, 33痴, bumper and a winch. But I was hoping to hear from some stock X owners on where they have wheeled and limitations the stock truck has.

Tuna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-13-2009, 08:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaboat View Post
So I’m thinking about getting an X Unlimited, I would love to get a Rubicon just cant afford it. I’m thinking that eventually I’ll ad a 2.5 spring lift, 33’s, bumper and a winch. But I was hoping to hear from some stock X owners on where they have wheeled and limitations the stock truck has.

Tuna

Buy the X and build it the way you want it. I had the same thoughts when I bought mine. I think that I can spend the difference in the money and build it stronger and better.... IMO.

I got a case of the wants about a month ago and was properly b!tch slapped by some forum members - I actually needed it to get back on track.

The guy in this photo was in a stock 2dr X and he hung in there on a 4 rated trail and only had to get winched twice - both of which would not have happened if he had a lift.

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 05-13-2009 at 08:37 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

One of the guys that I wheel with has a bone stock X. Only mod is that he bought my 32" rubi wheel / tires that I pulled from mine when I went to 35"s. He's always able to do 90% or more of what us locked up guys can do in our Ribi's. This will vary depending on the level of trail but bottom line is that a stock X is a very capable Jeep. Get it and just add lockers later when you have the money and IF you develop the need.

Another thought, get the X and in the next couple of years you'll see more and more D44 axels units pulled from Rubi's up for sale used as the hard core guys go D60. So that would be an option as well down the road.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 05-13-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

And if you aren't currently a Jeep guy here is another option for you to think about. As much as I love my JK (and I really do love JKs!) you could get a used TJ rubi for about the same or less than the JK X. The TJ (and the longer LJ) are fantastic Jeeps and you would be very happy with one.

Sorry if I'm giving too much advice, just love talking jeeps

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
Sorry if I'm giving too much advice, just love talking jeeps
Dont be sorry, Im looking for all the advice I can get.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-14-2009, 05:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

As a base X owner myself, best advice- GET RID OF THE PIECE OF **** STOCK TIRES! If you have the 16" wheels/tires, destroy them. The Wrangler ST's are simply the worst tire I have ever had the displeasure of driving on. Upgrade to Rubi wheels (usually 250-400 for all 5) and a decent 32-33" tire ASAP. Then, a 2.5" lift (BB, spring lift), and a locker, and you're set. This is the route I'm going with on ours.
Since you're in rock/sand country, some basic armor (diff covers, EVAP canister skid plate) would also be a great idea.
It may sound like a lot, but for the $10K I saved over buying a Rubi, I'll have it built MY way, and you can too
Just take the time- do it right the first time, and save $ later- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #7 of 10 Old 05-14-2009, 06:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

We struggled with the Rubi vs X question when we bought... it was our first Jeep and we weren't sure we needed the extra capabilities of the Rubi to deal with FL sand. We bought an X, had the dealer send it off for a lift/wheels/etc and took delivery on an X w/ 2.5" lift and 35's for less than the cost of a stock Rubi. Granted this was last summer before dealer incentives were being applied to the only Chrysler model with positive figures.... we could do better on one now. We're glad we went with the X. We can always add capability as we need it, and this gives us the ability to figure out what we really need vs. what sounds cool.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #8 of 10 Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 AM

Definitely shop around if you think you might want the Rubi. Two month ago I bought my Rubi and paid a couple hundred over the sticker price of an X due to employee pricing and rebates.

Granted I got the 2dr, but the corporate money off was equivalent across the board.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-14-2009, 07:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

EPP is long gone. There's $1,000 in regional discount (at least, here in the Northeast), and there MAY be some more $ depending on how long a vehicle's been on the lot. That's about it- certainly nowhere near the $ to make up between a base X and a Rubi- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #10 of 10 Old 05-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Rock God

Dont be afraid to look for a used. 4k miles on a 4door Rubicon with half doors cost me $23k and that was about a year ago so deals could be a lot better now for used.

As far as an X, it will do alot. All I have on my Rubicon is a 2.5" lift and with that, the stock tires and the use of the lockers I can do a lot. I say take the X, get some 32's or 33's, 2.5" of lift, lock the rear and maybe do an aussie in the front and call it day.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode