Someone not complaining about JK power... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Someone not complaining about JK power...

Alright I am probably gonna catch h*ll for it but ....Someone please explain to me about this huge lack of power everyone claims ???? Is it the guys with the unlimited auto's, or the guys that wish they would have got a diesel dually. Sure I wish it had a Hemi but it is a Jeep. I have owned a 90 with the 4.2 auto stock tires and 33's,(my JK would smoke it) I have owned a 94 with a 4 popper stock tires/33's/then 35's (talk about a dog) JK would have smoked it in reverse..And have driven a few TJ's with 4.0 and They didnt overly impress me when compared to my JK 2 door 6 speed. Now it is a little lacking in the power department with the 35's and 321's but I knew it would be untill I regeared it..I would have loved to trade in the Suburban and bought a new Rubicon Unlimited but I knew it wouldn pull the car trailer near as easy. But like I said it is a JEEP.....Oh maybe the 09's have alot more power then previous years LOL OK I know I am in for it now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Granite Guru

I always want more power and less weight, but I'm a freak. I think it is more about how the power is delivered more than it is a lack of power. Rev it up a bit and there is plenty.
post #3 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 03:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm with you brother. I went from a '66 Bronco with a high compression 302 and a great low end cam. With 4.10's and 35's I could nose up to a tree, let the clutch out and dig 4 holes. My wife had the same happen to her trying to pull it out of the garage one day, she thought it was out of gear when she hit the starter; it learched backward and started to drive up the back wall. As soon as the rear tires lifed off the ground the fronts gave with a bark and the truck fell back to the floor. It would repeat the cycle until I came out there and told the wife to turn the engine off.

The Jeep isn't the power house the Bronco was but I think it's plenty. I never have any problems getting out of the way, or running down the highway. I'm about to switch to 37's and 5.13's, I think it will be fine, and I won't have to worry about twisting the pinion shaft off like I had happen on my Bronco. Power can be overrated even on the trail.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Rock God

I sold my TJ after driving my dad's 2 door JK and thought it had a ton more power than my TJ. My 4 door wasn't bad either... but on the road with the 4.10s and hilly area we are in it searched for gears like crazy. I think it's really more of a gearing issue when they are stock than anything... even with 4.10s, the tranny is geared to high for the powerband of the 3.8L. I think the rubi's should come stock with 4.56s and people would be much happier.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #5 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 05:08 PM
TrailDuty.com

I don't really feel a lack of power here either, it's a wheeling vehicle to me that also gets me around, and while I'd welcome more power I don't think it is lacking. But then again I drive like Miss Daisy
post #6 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Well, I agree with this thread. All I have to say is drive a XJ with the 4.0 around with 37's or 35's for a while then get back in your JK. It automatically gives you a boost of about 20 Hp lol
post #7 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
I don't really feel a lack of power here either, it's a wheeling vehicle to me that also gets me around, and while I'd welcome more power I don't think it is lacking. But then again I drive like Miss Daisy
X2. Even when I was running 37s with stock gears I didnt think it was that bad.
post #8 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Granite Guru

I think my 2007 Rubicon is just fine in the power department.

Of course it's not like wife's WJ with a 4.7 HPO engine, but it's just fine by me.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #9 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Openly Hostile

I think a v8 would be nice, but I don't really have any complaints about power. Hell, I am only even doing 4.88 gears now because I plan on getting 37's this summer. The 4.10's and 35's has worked fine for me in a 2 door.

Jason
post #10 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 PM
JKO Addict!

When I got my JK 2 1/2 years ago, I drag raced a few of my buddies in their TJs and beat them.

I think stock to stock- the JK has more power.

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #11 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Rock God

I have no issues with power; it is what it is I think the 6 speed makes a difference, you can hustle it thru the gears nicely. I am still running the with the stock 32s, but will be moving up to 35s soon, and I am not anticipating this being much of a concern, even with the 4.10s.

I also live in the flat lands, so I am sure this also makes it easier to deal with. Although, on my trip to Moab last June it seemed to pull the hills fairly decent; I just had to make sure and keep it in the power band.
post #12 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 06:25 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm with you on the power. I don't really have any complaints.
post #13 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Granite Guru

My two door, 6 speed JK replaced a 5000+ lb Isuzu Trooper with 33's. It had a 215hp 3.5 V6 and 4 speed auto. I never felt it was lacking for power. My JK feels pretty sporty compared to the Trooper! Just wish it had a little more grunt below 2000 RPM.
post #14 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Granite Guru

i want a freakin diesel.....

'69 CJ (sold)
'96 stroked XJ (sold)
'81 Toy Flatbed-d-ded
'09 Rubi Unlimited
post #15 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohana fab View Post
i want a freakin diesel.....
Lol. I have a hot rod diesel pickup I drive daily, and I'd rather have a 6.1 Hemi in the Jeep.
post #16 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

For me the power is fine. More would be better but my JK with an auto feels just the same as my TJ with an auto did so I'm used to it. More would be great but I have no prob getting up to speed on the hwy so no complaints here.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #17 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 08:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Haha, It does OK, but I wanna do front digs.
post #18 of 35 Old 05-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Rock God

Ive beat down some TJ's and a lot of FJ Cruisers and so far they dont even come close. All of them mostly stock.

Compared with my older rides im happy with the power. No complains here.

JKOutcast Member
post #19 of 35 Old 05-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Granite Guru

I think the Jeep JK has enough power and no complaints at all about the power in mine.

Teraflex 4" Lift with 8 Flexarms - Mickey Thompson Classic Locks - 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlar - Shrockworks Mid Width Front Bumper - Shrockworks Full Width Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier - SkidRow Oil/Tranny skid plate - Rock Hard 4x4 JK Evap Canister Skid Plate - Coast Front and Read Driveshaft - Teraflex Front/Rear Differential Covers - Superchip Flashpaq - Mile Marker 9500 - KC SlimLights - ARB on-board air/CB/Ham radio - Yukon 5.13 - Sleeved and Gussets
post #20 of 35 Old 05-14-2009, 05:12 AM
Granite Guru

OK, so they're better than older Jeeps, granted. But the rest of the world is growing up around us. All vehicles have greater power and higher efficiency than their predecessors. We've come to expect it. The only place I need more power is in the mud, the dunes, and on the highway. Thats about 80% of my driving. So yeah, I still think it's underpowered.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #21 of 35 Old 05-14-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
OK, so they're better than older Jeeps, granted. But the rest of the world is growing up around us. All vehicles have greater power and higher efficiency than their predecessors. We've come to expect it. The only place I need more power is in the mud, the dunes, and on the highway. Thats about 80% of my driving. So yeah, I still think it's underpowered.
Good response. I love and I mean love my new JK expect the motor. It just feels so flat, underpowered and worthless. If you don't know what I mean go drive any modern pickup or suv with any v8 option in it. I'm thinking there will be a lot of supercharger kits sold to help out these doggy motors!!!!! Something like the Chevy 4.8L engine would be amazing in our JKs. Great power and great mileage!
post #22 of 35 Old 05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm happy with the 3.8,but I did free it up a bit with exhaust and intake stuff.Cheap,easy,and adds a bit of pep to it.I'm just waiting on a diesel JK.I know sooner or later they will have one here for the states,and I will buy one for sure.Till then,it's cool

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #23 of 35 Old 05-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinLawyer View Post
Good response. I love and I mean love my new JK expect the motor. It just feels so flat, underpowered and worthless. If you don't know what I mean go drive any modern pickup or suv with any v8 option in it. I'm thinking there will be a lot of supercharger kits sold to help out these doggy motors!!!!! Something like the Chevy 4.8L engine would be amazing in our JKs. Great power and great mileage!
You are comparing a V8 in a pickup to a v6 in a jeep. Sure the V8 will have more power, but there is no way I would compare my Jeep motor to a V8 and then label it as worthless or doggy because of this reasoning. If that is the case then the V8 is underpowered too and sucks and is doggy because I would want to hop into a drag car to compare that motor in that to the V8. After this comparison the drag car motor is doggy and sucks because I just hopped into a vehicle with a jet engine installed making the jet engine vehicle better... Maybe some of us can use some other illogical reasoning to label the Jeep motor as crap and show the relationship to a minivan motor also as reasoning to make the Jeep motor look bad...... I have no problem with my Jeep motor and has never failed me one bit.

Teraflex 4" Lift with 8 Flexarms - Mickey Thompson Classic Locks - 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlar - Shrockworks Mid Width Front Bumper - Shrockworks Full Width Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier - SkidRow Oil/Tranny skid plate - Rock Hard 4x4 JK Evap Canister Skid Plate - Coast Front and Read Driveshaft - Teraflex Front/Rear Differential Covers - Superchip Flashpaq - Mile Marker 9500 - KC SlimLights - ARB on-board air/CB/Ham radio - Yukon 5.13 - Sleeved and Gussets
post #24 of 35 Old 05-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Granite Guru

Having never driven a 4.0 TJ I can't compare, but with ours being a 6 speed, and as long as you aren't afraid to bring the revs up, I can't complain about the power. I've heard plenty who do ***** about it though........

Jeepless until:.....:....
post #25 of 35 Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Wheeler

There was no lack of power in the1997 TJ 4.0L
Just loved the power of the1999 WJ V8
Hated the 2003 KJ 2.8 CRD
The 2003 TJ was OK
Finally my current JK's power for on road driving is very disappointing. Off-road it's absolutely fine. She's shortly going to get RIPPed which should address the problem somewhat although I realise it's not a Hemi.

2008 JK Rubicon Unlimited AEV equipped (US)
51 4'39.70"N, 243'22.67"W
About to be RIPPed
Jun 2008 - Rubicon Trail
Oct 2008 - Fins n' Things
Oct 2008 - Hell's Revenge
Oct 2008 - Seven Mile Rim
Oct 2008 - Strike Ravine
Oct 2008 - Kane Creek Canyon
Apr 2009 - Gold Bar Rim
Apr 2009 - Flat Iron Mesa
Apr 2009 - Copper Ridge
Apr 2009 - Hell's Revenge revisited...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode