Your local Jeep dealer may be gone in two days. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 Old 05-12-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Your local Jeep dealer may be gone in two days.

Chrysler to cut 800 dealers on Thursday.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090512/...rysler_dealers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 05-12-2009, 08:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

hopefully they will close the doors on the ****ty ass Victorville and barstow dealers

www.jeepasylum.com
post #3 of 86 Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Granite Guru

My local dealer stopped carrying Jeep parts and vehicles about 2 months ago.

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
08 Wrangler X 4dr. 6sp: Winched, bumpered, Atlased, 5:13 Rubi axles, 37" Kevlar MTRs, Treks skids.
87 Toy BJ70 LandCruiser. Winched, bumpered, 35ed, locked, slidered, dieseled.
87 Toy 4r. Winched, bumpered, dual cased, 35ed, locked, slidered. -Sold, to pay for Jeep parts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 86 Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Rock God

so THATS why Magunnes Jeep set my TSB appt for tommorrow?!?!?! I'd be pissed if I showed up and no one was there heh

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #5 of 86 Old 05-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

It's already happened where i live...

We had 2 Jeep dealerships close in the last few months, And another dealership absorbed their inventory.

This sucks because the good ones are now gone, And the remaining ones are not customer friendly when it comes to Jeeps.

Oh well, Those warranties were trash anyways

Phase 1 Complete. Sold JK
Phase 2 Complete. Bought a Tow Rig
Phase 3 on-hold. Buying a trail rig. Thinking a TJ or XJ
post #6 of 86 Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 PM
lbh
Rock God

The dealer in Lodi where I bought mine shut its doors, too bad because it was better than the crappy dealer I have now.

2007 JK
post #7 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 12:57 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I was trying to avoid this topic because its highly contiversial among dealers. Basically the chapter 11 is letting chrysler pick and choose which dealers stay and which go bye bye. Project genensis started 3 years ago and merged chrysler/jeep/dodge dealers together eliminating close to 800 dealers. Chrysler is trying to get to the Toyota number of 1500 stores, in which they sit at 3600 today. On Thursday dealers will see their fate..823 to be exact.

Here in AZ our prediction will be the rural stores closing after many years in business likely some will stay and get other franchises or become used car stores....I think the number in AZ is arround 20 Rural stores and maybe a few in the valley will get the AX. I believe we are ok we merged with a Dodge store back in December but others will not be so lucky. In a normal circumstances chrysler would have to buy back dealer franchises to terminate them, Today they are using chapter 11. Some dealers say there will be a round 2 in the near future, I doubt that chrysler/fiat would have enough $$ to terminate 800 more stores.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #8 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 03:45 AM
Wheeler

I don't think it matters if they close 800 are all of them. I don't see them being around in 5 yrs. anyway. Their product is junk. I had one of there K-cars the driver door literally fell off one day when I opened it. There were a lot of other issues with it also. Gave them two more chances purchased two trucks a 95 & 97 which were problems from the beginning.On the 95 they did 5 pages of warranty work on it and never did get it fixed and it had less than 3K miles on it. As stupid as I'm I bought the 97 and nothing but problems with it from the beginning also. So far my Jeep been OK but that could change any day.
post #9 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 05:59 AM
TrailDuty.com

Our only Jeep dealer closed its doors a few months back. Someone tried to buy it, but Chrysler would not play ball.

Unless both Chrysler and GM do something drastic, and I don't just mean laying off people and closing dealerships, then I don't see a very rosy future for either of them. I think Fiat's influence may be the saving grace for Chrysler, as clearly what Chrysler do isn't working. I don't see much hope for GM.
post #10 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 06:08 AM
TrailDuty.com

Here's a question, how much does a dealership cost the manufacturer and what will they save by closing them?
post #11 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 AM
Rock God

Mine closed 2 months ago
post #12 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 06:18 AM
Granite Guru

I'll be checking mine out today when I get my mail. Should be interesting as its a Chevrolet/chrysler/dodge/jeep dealership, and the multi line dealers were spared if they had enough "distance" in between other dealerships.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #13 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

I'm actually fairly nervous about the outcome of this. While we are a TINY dealership (we're scaled down to about 50 new cars, 15-20 used right now), our service side is one of the top in the nation, due to our local competitors being CRAP in terms of customer service/appreciation. So we shall see...
On a side note, a Kia rep inspected the Jeep store yesterday. They are thinking of adding a Kia franchise in the Jeep store, and moving Jeep up to our C/D store. So I may be the ONLY Kia salesman in the county! As much as I'd miss Jeep, I can't say no to that label Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #14 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I was trying to avoid this topic because its highly contiversial among dealers. Basically the chapter 11 is letting chrysler pick and choose which dealers stay and which go bye bye. Project genensis started 3 years ago and merged chrysler/jeep/dodge dealers together eliminating close to 800 dealers. Chrysler is trying to get to the Toyota number of 1500 stores, in which they sit at 3600 today. On Thursday dealers will see their fate..823 to be exact.

Here in AZ our prediction will be the rural stores closing after many years in business likely some will stay and get other franchises or become used car stores....I think the number in AZ is arround 20 Rural stores and maybe a few in the valley will get the AX. I believe we are ok we merged with a Dodge store back in December but others will not be so lucky. In a normal circumstances chrysler would have to buy back dealer franchises to terminate them, Today they are using chapter 11. Some dealers say there will be a round 2 in the near future, I doubt that chrysler/fiat would have enough $$ to terminate 800 more stores.

Jason
You and I are lucky that our stores are 3-pack stores and are doing well.
There will be another Big dealer closing here in the valley.
The numbers for them are not up to par.
I have my ideas and I am sure you do too.
I also saw this coming back in '08.
post #15 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
hopefully they will close the doors on the ****ty ass Victorville and barstow dealers
......and hopefully they will not close Yucca Valley Jeep. That is where I bought mine and they have been great. I have only been there twice tho. Buy it. Have oil changed. No issues with my 08 whatsoever.

2008 JK Rubicon
86ish Formula Toyota
post #16 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Rock God

mine is 3 min. down the street. going to have to see what happens.

2012 ARCTIC
SILVER. 2 DOOR.
IN SERVICE 12/17/11
post #17 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
You and I are lucky that our stores are 3-pack stores and are doing well.
There will be another Big dealer closing here in the valley.
The numbers for them are not up to par.
I have my ideas and I am sure you do too.
I also saw this coming back in '08.
What dealer do you work for? What do you do there?

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #18 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
I'm actually fairly nervous about the outcome of this. While we are a TINY dealership (we're scaled down to about 50 new cars, 15-20 used right now), our service side is one of the top in the nation, due to our local competitors being CRAP in terms of customer service/appreciation. So we shall see...
On a side note, a Kia rep inspected the Jeep store yesterday. They are thinking of adding a Kia franchise in the Jeep store, and moving Jeep up to our C/D store. So I may be the ONLY Kia salesman in the county! As much as I'd miss Jeep, I can't say no to that label Mark W.
Yeah I hear yeah! I am not worried we ranked number 3 in our business center (CA,NV,NM,OR,WA,AK and HI) and #43 in the country last month.
I hope you guys are ok, this whole think makes me sick to my stomach that guys like you and me will be unemployed and its a tough job market right now.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #19 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino64 View Post
I don't think it matters if they close 800 are all of them. I don't see them being around in 5 yrs. anyway. Their product is junk. I had one of there K-cars the driver door literally fell off one day when I opened it. There were a lot of other issues with it also. Gave them two more chances purchased two trucks a 95 & 97 which were problems from the beginning.On the 95 they did 5 pages of warranty work on it and never did get it fixed and it had less than 3K miles on it. As stupid as I'm I bought the 97 and nothing but problems with it from the beginning also. So far my Jeep been OK but that could change any day.
It does, stores like mine will get more customers and sell more cars and trucks. The quality of our cars drastically improved since 1998, the older ones were problematic. This is bad for cunsumers in small towns that may have to drive hundreds of miles for warrantee or service needs.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #20 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
What dealer do you work for? What do you do there?

Jason
The Fabulous Tempe Dodge Chrysler Jeep
I am Asst Parts Mgr.
I will see you this weekend.
post #21 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
The Fabulous Tempe Dodge Chrysler Jeep
I am Asst Parts Mgr.
I will see you this weekend.
Cool, I am looking forward to meeting you this weekend

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #22 of 86 Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Skype™ to rage344

great idea all of jko puts some dues in and we buy a dealership just for us jko guys

Riverraider Rubicon 2 door (under construction)
[QUOTE=priell3;158092] you have the old style with dirty balls.QUOTE]
post #23 of 86 Old 05-14-2009, 06:54 AM
Rock God

Anyone see a press release yet? I did a little looking and haven't seen much... other than it's still just speculation.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #24 of 86 Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlMan View Post
......and hopefully they will not close Yucca Valley Jeep. That is where I bought mine and they have been great. I have only been there twice tho. Buy it. Have oil changed. No issues with my 08 whatsoever.
x2. Yucca Valley was probably the most pleasant buying experience that I have had, and this is my 5th vehicle bought from a dealership in 8 years. It would also suck to have to drive all the way to Palm Springs area for any services that I may need.
post #25 of 86 Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

Well, I imagine the one I've been going to won't be going anywhere anytime soon. AND, if they were to, they'd make a KILLING on their lot. Several acres right between two of the most desirable if not most expensive parts inside the loop (River Oaks and West U.) -- but the plethora of inhabitants buying from them and bringing cars in for service probably puts them pretty high up on the value list for Chrysler. As of yesterday, they still had a 3-story garage full of new jeeps and chryslers.

They don't sell any dodge trucks, and never have from what I can tell. They've been good to me, but occasionally get a bad rap - mostly due to their size (12 main service reps anyone?). While I was there yesterday, I saw at least 10 people shopping for new cars.

!c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode