So I am doing it....driving to the desert. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 05-11-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So I am doing it....driving to the desert.

My plans are starting to unfold for a surprise trip (driving of course) to see my dad Ret. USAF, for fathers day next month. I figured 850 in gas and KOA camp grounds to save money unless I need a motel. So, hard top is off the 08 Sahara and soft top is on.

Google says 1,614 miles from Nashville TN to Tucson AZ at about 1 day of driving. In reality, two days split into 12 hr segments. So, am I out of my mind? This just seems to be a soul searching type of road trip not to mention hitting up some serious canyon drives.

I am 33, single, no children (hope not).......

'West is the best" ... Jim Morrison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Rock God

You're certainly not out of your mind! That's a nice trip you've got planned. Try to take some back roads on your trip. It helps break it up a bit and gives you something interesting to look at during the day.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Stop by phoenix and hit a trail with us! Sounds like a fun trip.....

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 05-11-2009, 04:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Enjoy yourself and take your time. I used to enjoy getting lost on my Harley and figuring out where all those backroads go.... the same thing in a Jeep sounds like fun.

Take some pics as you go.

post #5 of 25 Old 05-11-2009, 04:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJeeper615 View Post
My plans are starting to unfold for a surprise trip (driving of course) to see my dad Ret. USAF, for fathers day next month. I figured 850 in gas and KOA camp grounds to save money unless I need a motel. So, hard top is off the 08 Sahara and soft top is on.

Google says 1,614 miles from Nashville TN to Tucson AZ at about 1 day of driving. In reality, two days split into 12 hr segments. So, am I out of my mind? This just seems to be a soul searching type of road trip not to mention hitting up some serious canyon drives.

Google sez 1 day of driving? You would have to drive 24 hrs and average 67.25mph.Take your time and enjoy the trip

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #6 of 25 Old 05-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Rock God

that is def. a wonderful drive, but take your time and enjoy it...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #7 of 25 Old 05-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Granite Guru

I did form Fort Bragg Nc to Prescott Arizona on my harley. I kinda wandered the entire time. Took me 8 days and about 3300 miles. dont think I would ever trade that experience. I agree take your time and enjoy all that you can of a trip that everyone should take once in there life.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-11-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Stop by phoenix and hit a trail with us! Sounds like a fun trip.....

Jason
I will do that man. I think my dad and I will do some type of night desert ride. Will give you a shout when dates are confirmed. I am taking 2 weeks off, yeah take that Corp. America.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-11-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUERUBI View Post
enjoy the trip! I have made the cross country journey a few times! I use to live in Arizona for a couple years and definitely plenty of places to wheel the Jeep! You will enjoy the trip along I-10 going west....and No El Paso doesn't take the hour it feels like to get through the city! But dont leave anything unsecured or out of site if you stop in El Paso....the border is within eye site of the highway and off-road vehicles and high-profile cars get stolen a lot there!

Also, don't stop for hitchhikers anywhere in West Texas along I-10 as they have a maximum security prison out there and will see the signs that says do not pick anyone up.

It will be a great road trip though...will get to see desert dust devils, great scenery like all the boulder hills/mountains when you are in New Mexico. Don't forget to stop and see the "mummy" just as you are about to leave New Mexico entering Arizona! I would recommend Texas sites for you, but you are wanting to limit travel days and these things are along your way.
Yeah, watching the 70s version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre has made me weary of W Texas. That and Varsity Blues.... lol Pics will be taken except for the drive through Arkansas.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
Google sez 1 day of driving? You would have to drive 24 hrs and average 67.25mph.Take your time and enjoy the trip

Maybe I'm a little weird but I seem to beat the google estimates when I need to get somewhere. Don't hesitate to take a road trip, your Sahara will be great. I'm thinking of riding my motorcycle from Oregon to North Carolina in June to go to a 2 day school. I'll have 3 days to get there and 4 days to get back. I think I can make there in less than 2, and then hang out in Ashville and rest for a day before the class. If I was considering driving the Jeep, I would make it in a little over a day. The key is 2 or 3 hours rest stops. Eat, nap, have a cup of coffee, drive, repeat.
Last month I drove from LA to Bend Oregon straight through in the Jeep with a trailer, and last week I drove 7.5 hours straight, only stopping for gas and coffee.
post #11 of 25 Old 05-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Wheeler

You probably already know this.. but your going to be driving in the really freakin hot desert... take extra water!

08 Silver 4 Door X - XD Bumpers - Slightly lifted, and some modest welding underneath... and a really loud stereo to block the wind noise

post #12 of 25 Old 05-11-2009, 08:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
You probably already know this.. but your going to be driving in the really freakin hot desert... take extra water!
You know what it feels like when you are cookin' biscuits and you stand a little too close when you open the oven to check them.... you know that hot rush of air that kinda makes you step back.... now imagine someone shoving your head into the oven at that exact point.... that is how I remember it anyway... I took the "fiery death" tour on a motorcycle a few years ago and the feeling kinda sticks with you.

post #13 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Granite Guru

I drive from SE Texas t Tucson twice a year, once in the summer and once in the winter. The summer trip we do at night, West Texas sucks in the summer!

I've done Houston to El Paso and I've done Dallas to El Paso and even though Dallas to El Paso is better overall, the Midland/Odessa to El Paso is the worst!

It will be worth the drive though, there are some really nice spots along the way

Oh and I did the trip ONCE on a sport bike when I was stationed at Ft Hood. It was one of those "glad I did it but will never do it again" things

-One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.
post #14 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 06:17 AM
Wheeler

You're definitely not crazy. I've taken several road trips to Phoenix and I love it everytime I go back. I wheeled there once in my old Liberty and it was a blast.

The best drive going out there was from Cedar Rapids, IA and we went through Colorado and down through Moab. Unfortunately we didn't have time to stop long at Arches NP but that drive was the best I've ever taken so I highly recommend it if you want a scenic drive and get the chance to take the long way.

Even if you don't, I hope you'll still love AZ. Like said before, take plenty of water it really is like sticking your head in the oven.

2017 4 Door Rubicon
Midland 75-822 with 3' Firestik
post #15 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 06:23 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJK View Post
Maybe I'm a little weird but I seem to beat the google estimates when I need to get somewhere. Don't hesitate to take a road trip, your Sahara will be great. I'm thinking of riding my motorcycle from Oregon to North Carolina in June to go to a 2 day school. I'll have 3 days to get there and 4 days to get back. I think I can make there in less than 2, and then hang out in Ashville and rest for a day before the class. If I was considering driving the Jeep, I would make it in a little over a day. The key is 2 or 3 hours rest stops. Eat, nap, have a cup of coffee, drive, repeat.
Last month I drove from LA to Bend Oregon straight through in the Jeep with a trailer, and last week I drove 7.5 hours straight, only stopping for gas and coffee.
I tend to drive straight through for most road trips and take 5 - 15 minute stops though I usually have somebody else with me. I always beat the google estimates for overall driving time but when I add in stops, they are almost exactly what google said.

2017 4 Door Rubicon
Midland 75-822 with 3' Firestik
post #16 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Rock God

seems good to me. Just do as some others have said and bring some extra water and maybe some fuel if you can store it. I normally dont worry but the thought of running out in the desert in the summer... better to be ready for it!

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #17 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Rock God

Garage
Question hard top is off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJeeper615 View Post

If it was me, I'd keep the hard top on for that long of a trip. If for no other reason than security of being able to lock up the jeep. When you are traveling you are a target for sticky fingers of anything loose in the jeep. Also you may want the A/C coming across the desert! HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!!!!!!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #18 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Skype™ to rage344

i drove from western mass out to monterey ca and i did the trip in three days not the funnest trip in the world but i was in a convertible two door sports car so i had an average speed of about 95 and that includes the full night of sleep in oklahoma one experience ill never forget thats for sure highway 40 seems like it never ends but AZ and new mexico are by far the most beautiful states ive had the privledge of driving through have fun and buy some fireworks!! set them off with the top down

Riverraider Rubicon 2 door (under construction)
[QUOTE=priell3;158092] you have the old style with dirty balls.QUOTE]
post #19 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Rock God

Drove my JK from Sacramento, CA to Miami, FL > Augusta, GA > Pittsburgh, PA > Sacramento, CA.

12 hours of driving a day is a little tiring and doesnt allow for much stopping. If you can, Id make it 3 day (8 hours of driving a day) or even 4 if you want to stop and smell a few roses. I checked google earth and looked for cool stuff Id be driving close too and ended up stopping at the grand canyon, ruby falls and the biggest meteor crater in the US. Definatly worth taking your time.

Previous to that trip I had drove cross country 2 other times for PCS moves (Army) and did the whole 10-12 hours a day of driving. Missed out on a whole lot of cool stuff and regretted not giving myself more time. I also found out that, more than hills, WIND will have the most adverse effect on MPG. Strong headwinds killed my JK through Wyoming.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #20 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 09:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

No you are not crazy, sounds like a great road trip. If you have the time to spare, try to plan things to do and see along the way. If not travel like we do.

The wife and I did it (here to Albuquerque) in two days, October '07 when the Jeep was only two months old. Took I40 through Amarillo. We took shifts and drove from roughly 8am - 10pm IIRC. She is the perfect travel partner. No bathroom or food stops unless we need gas. We made it all the way across Arkansas without ever stopping.

Be warned the wind going into NM is unbelievable. This is where we learned about the hood lift issues first hand. If you don't already have them, a hood lock in the center or Daystar latches will come in very handy before you make the trip.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #21 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Rock God

X2 on what gold knight said on the hood lift. I've driven my JK all over west Texas, New Mexico and Colorado. The fawkin hood lift gets down right scary when you have cattle trucks barreling down at you. Take a few zip ties and use them as limiting straps on the hood straps. Basically make a ring around the hood strap length wise. I've had mine on there since November and they work beautifully. You don't notice them and their a lot cheaper than hood wranglers.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Rock God

the daystar latches were one of the best investments for the JK I have made...no lift now...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #23 of 25 Old 05-13-2009, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Wow! thanks for the replies guys. I considered the extra water hence a trip to cosco and one extra fuel carrier just in case.
post #24 of 25 Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 AM
JKowners Vendor

TennesseeJeeper615
Let me know when you arrive here in Cali and maybe we can hook-up and I can show you some of the desert while you are here!

-John the sPOD guy
switches jeeps panels jk-forum carling contura led switch windshield
post #25 of 25 Old 05-14-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
If it was me, I'd keep the hard top on for that long of a trip. If for no other reason than security of being able to lock up the jeep. When you are traveling you are a target for sticky fingers of anything loose in the jeep. Also you may want the A/C coming across the desert! HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I thought about that but should be fine. I need to get my carrying permit but that gets a little sticky from state to state. Just going to use common sense to where and when I stop plus, I know Karate lol. Tucson freaks me out a little though. Flew out there last year and people are stealing the copper wiring from the light poles. Out at my dad's place is pretty cool. No light pollution so plenty of sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode