Stock Rubi Unlimited Clearance - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-11-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Stock Rubi Unlimited Clearance

I have the spec sheets on the stock Rubi Unlimited. Does anyone know what part of the Jeep the clearance is measured at?

i.e....frame to ground, bottom of bumper to ground, etc..trying to determine how much lift I actually gained from stock Rubi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Rock God

I believe ground clearance is measured at the lowest point under the vehicle, which would be the bottom of the differential.

'07 Rubicon
post #3 of 11 Old 05-11-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
I believe ground clearance is measured at the lowest point under the vehicle, which would be the bottom of the differential.
Then I have a second question: If a coil spring lift is installed doesn't that just raise the frame? The axle, I believe, can only be lifted with bigger diameter tires. So how does one measure to determine how much actual lift they got with just the spring lift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Rock God

Pick a point on the bottom of the frame near the wheels and measure to the ground. After installing a lift, measure from those same points to determine the amount of lift you actually got. You could also measure from the rockers.

You're right, more ground clearance is gained only with larger tires. And a suspension lift will create the room for those larger tires. The larger the tire size, the more lift you'll need. A 3" lift, for example, is plenty for a 35" tire.

'07 Rubicon

Last edited by BigO; 05-11-2009 at 02:27 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Granite Guru

I used three reference points at each corner:
Ground to center of bolt on link of suspension;
ground to frame
ground through center of wheel to bottom of fender flare(just for visual, as they can be moved either way by hand). With my 4" spring lift, I gained 4" in front, 3 1/2" in rear, and leveled it out evenly(had a front rake & slight slant on drivers side when stock). It will go back to having a slight front rake when I put the new bumper & winch on it.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #6 of 11 Old 05-11-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Pick a point on the bottom of the frame near the wheels and measure to the ground. After installing a lift, measure from those same points to determine the amount of lift you actually got. You could also measure from the rockers.

You're right, more ground clearance is gained only with larger tires. And a suspension lift will create the room for those larger tires. The larger the tire size, the more lift you'll need. A 3" lift, for example, is plenty for a 35" tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule'Con View Post
I used three reference points at each corner:
Ground to center of bolt on link of suspension;
ground to frame
ground through center of wheel to bottom of fender flare(just for visual, as they can be moved either way by hand). With my 4" spring lift, I gained 4" in front, 3 1/2" in rear, and leveled it out evenly(had a front rake & slight slant on drivers side when stock). It will go back to having a slight front rake when I put the new bumper & winch on it.
Thanks guys,my problem is i never took a measurement of the stock Rubi. Do you guys know any of the original measurements?
post #7 of 11 Old 05-12-2009, 05:11 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepyJeep View Post
Thanks guys,my problem is i never took a measurement of the stock Rubi. Do you guys know any of the original measurements?
I didn't measure either, so I have no idea what they are. Maybe someone with a stock Rubi will see this.

'07 Rubicon
post #8 of 11 Old 05-12-2009, 05:18 AM
TrailDuty.com

To measure how much lift you have, measure from a fixed point on the vehicle to the center of a wheel, before and after. Otherwise the additional height gained by larger tires will be included. Of course if you want to know the overall gain (lift + tire) then measure to the ground, but it makes comparative measurements difficult as tire sizes vary so much.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Granite Guru

Good point PhilD. That being said, for reference on a stock 4dr Rubicon w/MudTA's at stock psi:
12 7/8t" in front (ground to lower suspension arm bolt on frame)
13 1/8" in rear (ground to lower suspension arm bolt on frame)

After 4" suspension lift:
17" in front (same as above measuring point)
17" in rear

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #10 of 11 Old 05-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Rock God

Garage
Thumbs down i never took a measurement of the stock Rubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepyJeep View Post
I'm guilty of this also, so I went to the dealer and measured several "Stock" jeeps. No two came out with the same measurements!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-12-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post

I'm guilty of this also, so I went to the dealer and measured several "Stock" jeeps. No two came out with the same measurements!
Ya, I believe that is because the springs rate for any given Jeep is based on the option packages it has, i.e. various weights = various spring rate=various heights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode