someone tell me i am not missing anything - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-09-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

someone tell me i am not missing anything

So I changed my engine oil and front and rear diff's while at work today. I have done this a few times before already. Engine went just fine but when I filled my diff's neither the front or the rear took the amount of fluid listed. I put just barely 1qt in the front when it is listed to take 1.35qts and i put 1.9 qts in the rear; again when it is listed to take 2.375qts. I changed the fluids through the drain plug and did not break the covers off. Obviously, I filled both the front and rear until the fluids came out the fill hole and yes the JK was on a flat surface. I remember it not taking the full amounts previously, just thought I would check here.

I'm not missing anything am I? I left both the front and rear drain bolts out for over 3 hours while i went out on an extended call.

2012 Sahara Tan Unlimited Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

If lifted, have you considered the change in camber of the diffs? If they have been changed, then your fill hole is lower then stock. This may be why its holding less.
Also do you have stock covers? Different designs = different fluid quantities.

This is always a tough thing.. everything I have read seems like noone knows for sure what the rules are regarding diff fluid levels.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Rock God

That diff. angle thing sounds the most logical to me...and if that is the case, I wonder if you are able to get enough oil in the diff...I am interested too, because when I changed mine the first time, I was not lifted...now I am...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-09-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Nope, my lift is still sitting in my garage screaming at me to install it already, so it is still stock. I am going to check the level tomorrow after I drive it home from work in the morning.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
That diff. angle thing sounds the most logical to me...and if that is the case, I wonder if you are able to get enough oil in the diff...I am interested too, because when I changed mine the first time, I was not lifted...now I am...
I have a 3" lift and had to change the pinion angle. I just used the fill hole for as much as I could get in, and then i closed the plug and put the rest in via the vent tube hole.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Rock God

Garage
Diff Fluid Change

I have after market covers with the holes WAY TO HIGH. I just put in the amount listed in the manual for each and let it go at that.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Granite Guru

Ok so maybe i am way off. If I have a 2.5 lift and am goign to change to sythetic soon. If i drain adn then fill so it is a littel in the over flow tube will it really hurt anything? or does even th pressure of it comign out the tube hurt something?
post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I have a 3" lift and had to change the pinion angle. I just used the fill hole for as much as I could get in, and then i closed the plug and put the rest in via the vent tube hole.
Hey, thanks, problem solved...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #9 of 14 Old 05-11-2009, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i checked it again yesterday and it was still right at the fill hole on both front and rear so i guess it's good. I'll just keep an eye on it.

post #10 of 14 Old 05-11-2009, 07:21 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcrash View Post
Ok so maybe i am way off. If I have a 2.5 lift and am goign to change to sythetic soon. If i drain adn then fill so it is a littel in the over flow tube will it really hurt anything? or does even th pressure of it comign out the tube hurt something?
You won't hurt anything by overfilling it.

The idea of after market covers having a higher fill plug is that you can put the correct amount of fluid in the diff when the vehicle is lifted and pinions are rotated. It does not mean you have to fill them to the fill plug.

Once the pinion is rotated from a lift it is a good idea to add more fluid than stock to ensure the pinion gets lubricated.

I've found that you can put as much as you want in the rear without it venting out the breather. The front is more fussy and will vent if overfilled. Syn fluid seems to expand less than dino and causes less overfull venting issues.

FWIW I run 7.5 pts in the rear and 4 pts in the front.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Rock God

FWIW, the fluid level should *ideally* be at the bottom of the axle tube. That's about where the stock covers place it.
Ziptie dipsticks work good for higher than usual fill holes. So would a bore scope.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
FWIW, the fluid level should *ideally* be at the bottom of the axle tube.
True, unless the pinion is higher than normal. I know the fluid gets picked up the RG and transferred to the pinion, but I've found with the pinion pointing up a lot that the pinion bearings can end up a little short of fluid.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-11-2009, 02:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

^ And that's where the lubricity vs. friction vs. overfill issue becomes VERY complicated Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #14 of 14 Old 05-11-2009, 03:59 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
^ And that's where the lubricity vs. friction vs. overfill issue becomes VERY complicated Mark W.
Oh I'm sure there is an engineering reason not to overfill the diff, but I've always found that too little fluid can lead to damage, whereas too much fluid never seems to lead to any issues. Besides which more fluid = better cooling and the rear diff gets hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode