Shop Equipment ??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-09-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil
Shop Equipment ???

Any recommendations on a light service repair shop.

Currently looking between

Challenger and Rotary Lifts

Coats Tire changer and balancer

Yellowjacket AC machine

American Lubrication oil service equipment

And an upright 7.5hp Industrial air compressor...2 stage, reciprocal, 220v

NAPA misc. eg. Battery chargers, benches, etc.

Looking at a 4 bay shop, no internal repairs just driveability. Oil, belts, hoses, lights, tire repair, starters, alternators, batteries, brakes, ac, etc.

Any input, advice, etc. is welcome.!

(I already know how difficult the people side of business is)

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Wheeler

Well first off I'd recommend the rotary lift. I have one in my personal shop and have used them many other times in other shops. Definitely don't skimp on the air compressor if you are buying a new one for a shop. You will never be disappointed that you got a bigger one.

I'd think about buying a decent 110V welder. I know you talking about nothing internal for repairs, but having a little welder would be great for little repair like exhaust leaks etc.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-10-2009, 04:24 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
Any recommendations on a light service repair shop.

Currently looking between

Challenger and Rotary Lifts

Coats Tire changer and balancer

Yellowjacket AC machine

American Lubrication oil service equipment

And an upright 7.5hp Industrial air compressor...2 stage, reciprocal, 220v

NAPA misc. eg. Battery chargers, benches, etc.

Looking at a 4 bay shop, no internal repairs just driveability. Oil, belts, hoses, lights, tire repair, starters, alternators, batteries, brakes, ac, etc.

Any input, advice, etc. is welcome.!

(I already know how difficult the people side of business is)

i kinda have the same deal here at home ( in ohio) and just thinking of how to move it when we move !
anyways

get a 10,000 lbs two post asymmetrical car lift , you will be glad you went bigger ,, i have a ' complete lift' bought off ebay for $1800 bucks

By jeepdaddy at 2008-04-06

i also have an old coats 20-20 tire machine .... don't bother with old weak equiptment it you working with jeep tires.. just rent new stuff thru napa .. yep they offer that thru a lease

on the a/c equipment , i know the yellowjacket machine is an all in one deal and real nice but you can buy used stuff from an hvac guy , save alot of dough and do the same thing ( i could help ya with that - got my refg licensees)

if you spend the extra on anything get a good compressor , your going to use alot of air.... tire machines , oil pumps , impacts... etc.. all us a ton of air

do you want to get into just jeeps? ya know lift kits/gear axle swaps?

i'll be in kissimmee in a few weeks if ya want to get together and chit chat about shop stuff / maybe a trail ride ( i'll have the xj)

jason

12 Rubi - Dozher - wifes jeep
04 LJ - nameless to protect the guilty - my jeep
14 Raptor - daily/tow rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Wheeler

If you are going to do driveability you are also going to need diagnostic tools and a source of information.

08 Silver 4 Door X - XD Bumpers - Slightly lifted, and some modest welding underneath... and a really loud stereo to block the wind noise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old 05-10-2009, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
If you are going to do driveability you are also going to need diagnostic tools and a source of information.
Thanks I forgot to mention that one. I am looking at Napa stuff.. They run a pro link software solution that gives me access to one of the major info sources, as well as work orders and live parts inventory and direct ordering from the parts house.

Jeepdaddy. Thank you for the info. It would be great to get together when your in Kissimmee. I kinda owe you lunch anyway!

The shop is going to be located in the 535/ Lake Buena Vista area, and about 1 mile south of I-4
Jeep stuff might come in down the road, but for now its just a general consumer target audience. I have known the tow company that handles AAA work in the area for a long time, and I will be the prefered shop once I get my AAA certification. (wink) I have worked the tourist area for over 20 years and take the approach of earning local business (read as fair and honest) then the tourist business is gravy.
On the other end of the building I will be in is the gas station I used to be a partner in. So Shell fuel.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD

Last edited by bfj aka tambil; 05-10-2009 at 07:52 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-10-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrocks View Post
Well first off I'd recommend the rotary lift. I have one in my personal shop and have used them many other times in other shops. Definitely don't skimp on the air compressor if you are buying a new one for a shop. You will never be disappointed that you got a bigger one.

I'd think about buying a decent 110V welder. I know you talking about nothing internal for repairs, but having a little welder would be great for little repair like exhaust leaks etc.
Have you ever used Challenger Lifts? I think they are the only two made in the USA even though they both offer overseas alternates.

Air compressor is a:
Curtis 7E2VT8-82A
STANDARD EQUIPMENT
Start-Stop Control
ASME Safety Valve
ASME Air Receiver
Pressure Gauge
Intake Filter-Silencers
Tank Shut Off Valve
Tank Drain Valve
Totally Enclosed Beltguard
Oil Level Sight Indicator
STARTER NEMA 1
AIR COOLED AFTERCOOLER 7.5HP
LOW OIL GUARD
ELECTRIC DRAIN 115V
VIBRATION PADS 80GAL

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #7 of 8 Old 05-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
Thanks I forgot to mention that one. I am looking at Napa stuff.. They run a ProLink software solution that gives me access to one of the major info sources, as well as work orders and live parts inventory and direct ordering from the parts house.
Just be aware the NAPA solution only provides parts lookup and ordering from NAPA.. no others. If you are going to sourcing parts and want to do it electronically from other sources like CARQUEST, O'RIELLY, ACDelco, Kragen and others you need a different solution.

You may want to join this forum and ask some of the members there what they have experienced. http://www.managerforum.net/

08 Silver 4 Door X - XD Bumpers - Slightly lifted, and some modest welding underneath... and a really loud stereo to block the wind noise

Last edited by JohnnyD; 05-10-2009 at 09:59 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-10-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Just be aware the NAPA solution only provides parts lookup and ordering from NAPA.. no others. If you are going to sourcing parts and want to do it electronically from other sources like CARQUEST, O'RIELLY, ACDelco, Kragen and others you need a different solution.

You may want to join this forum and ask some of the members there what they have experienced. http://www.managerforum.net/
Thank you for the link.. going to check it out today.

The new Tracs from Napa has access to Mitchell's OD5.com ... it may not be as big of a deal since I am only offering driveability though, but seems like you can never have enough info available regardless of how minor things seem.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode