Do I need a disconnect/sway bar? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-08-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Do I need a disconnect/sway bar?

I was looking on-line and noticed manual disconnect sway/bar links available on quadratic.com for about $110.

Granted I am not going to be hardcore on my Jeep I was wondering if this was a necessity if you are going off road? Does it really help the performance on the vehicle.

I was planning on buying one of the 2" budget boost first and then saving my money to buy the disconnect later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Get the quick discos... you will get tired of crawling underneath and taking the bolts out. I remember thinking.... too easy to just crawl under and unbolt it - now I want a set....
post #3 of 9 Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Rock God

If you're going to be off road where the terrain is pretty bumpy or rough/uneven then I think you will be happy to have disconnects on and disconnected. You will smooth out a bit of the body bouncing and it can help you maintain grip on the road as well.

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

The sway bar is for on road use. Its intention is to work from the body to the ground. IN a since, transefering G-force energy from cornering from the body into the axle and creating more traction and stability to the ground.

Offroad it works opposite. It will transefer the uneveness of the ground into the body. Essentially not allowing the axle to articulate without taking the body with it. So basically, your passenger will be banging thier head on the side window all day, lol.

Disconnecting allows the axel to more freely move seperate from the body.

IS it essential to do on mild offroad? NO

More hardcore offroad? yes, will allow more traction

MOre comfortable ride offroad? MUCH better ride on any difficulty of trail
post #5 of 9 Old 05-08-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So is there a brand that anyone would recommend. Again, I am not going to be crawling, just need something that is going to work well, take some abuse but doesnt need to be the best.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I like the TeraFlex.

They are greasable which is good but the most important part is they come with parks so you have an easy place to attach the swaybar when disconnected otherwise you will always be messi with bungie cords and such

PM Carl, our Teraflex rep on here and he will get you a JKOwners deal on it

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/privat...o=newpm&u=1767

Part #001753010

post #7 of 9 Old 05-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Rock God

x2 on the TeraFlex and the 2.5" lift I got came with them.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #8 of 9 Old 05-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Granite Guru

;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msokol13 View Post
I was looking on-line and noticed manual disconnect sway/bar links available on quadratic.com for about $110.

Granted I am not going to be hardcore on my Jeep I was wondering if this was a necessity if you are going off road? Does it really help the performance on the vehicle.

I was planning on buying one of the 2" budget boost first and then saving my money to buy the disconnect later.
You don't need them but nice to have. Smooths out the ride when off road.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-09-2009, 07:53 AM
JKowners Vendor

1. Yes, smooths out the ride in moderate to rugged trails--if you are a trail bomber--cruising 15+mph in washes, dunes, or mud, then don't bother.
2. Most important: improves your tire contact with the ground in uneven terrain. If you are not running lockers, it is almost a necessity, IMO. Even with TCS, you will get significant tire spin in only 12" ruts and rocks.

My favorite disconnect for the JK so far: JKS quicker disco. Very quick and easy install, and you don't have to worry about tying up anything, because you simply quick-pin both ends and put the links in the glove box. And all you need to install is an 18mm, 19mm (or 3/4), and a slim philips screwdriver (or other strong slender object to slide through the pin hole to hold the bolt steady while you tighten).
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode