tall Suspension tech opinions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-07-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

tall Suspension tech opinions

I do a lot of mechanical work myself Jeeps being a specialty. I would like others to chime in who KNOW about what I am considering doing or those who have tried it. I am possible going to larger tire range I know many here like lower lifts for center of gravity but I like monster size and mad flex. I need two more inches (max) of suspension increase but I do not want to change trackbar mounts. I have full adjustable control arms so thats not a problem (except for trying to figure the right length) I will either add 2 inch spacers to my 4 inch lift coils or but 5.5 inch coils. heres my setup so yall can do your math. 4.5 inch suspenion bracket kit, includes 4" coils, adjustable control arms all around, and 2 inch body lift. can I turn my short arm 4 into a short 6 or Is it goin to be a big deal. If the steering is fine and the trackbars work I dont see a problem at all. Im sure a 1 inch spacer would work fine the thought of two is pushing it. those of you who run 38 39 40 what did you do to get taller past tthe 6 inch point... I want everything built the right way with no short cuts. Im guessing adjustable tbars be the best way but want to know if it will work with out. thanks

"Duca Brothers Customs"
2008 Rubicon, (Dana44s locked), 5" BDS adj. suspension lift, 2" BDS body lift, 15x10s, 37x14.50 15 toyo mt, custom painting, river raider bumper/highlift mount, Pioneer touch screen, custom system (3) 10s, hd reel driveshaft, Rock Krawler hd steering/tierod.

Last edited by DucaBrothers; 05-07-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

For a while I was running 4" TeraFlex springs with a 2.5" BB spacer in the rear and a set of ACOS Pros up front. The 4" springs netted just over 5" after weight (bumpers, winch, 37" spare) was added. So with the spacers I was at about 7.75" of suspension lift. I ran this with a full set of TF adjustable control arms in the factory brackets/locations. I did have adjustable TF track bars a well.

The Jeep drove fairly well but the flex was limited due to the extreme angle of the control arms. I also had an interference issue with the front shocks hitting the frame when fully flexed. This was attributed to the limitation of the control arms when at full droop pulling the bottom of the shock inward towards the center of the vehicle.

Getting adjustables would be "building it the right way" but you can at least try it without and see how it feels.

I like the bigger/higher/monster look as well. Currently I have a TF 6" LA kit with ACOS Pros up front and ACOS in the rear. They are dialed out a little with a decent amount of rake front to rear. Overall suspension lift is about 8.25" with 37" tires. Considering bigger when these wear out.

Good luck with your build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-07-2009, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thankk you for the info. could you email or post a pic of your rig with the 8 inch setup with 37s thats what im looking at doing....debating 38s. I had not considered the face of actual limiting flex b/c of control arms thats a good point might just put a 1 inch spacer and call it a day.

"Duca Brothers Customs"
2008 Rubicon, (Dana44s locked), 5" BDS adj. suspension lift, 2" BDS body lift, 15x10s, 37x14.50 15 toyo mt, custom painting, river raider bumper/highlift mount, Pioneer touch screen, custom system (3) 10s, hd reel driveshaft, Rock Krawler hd steering/tierod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

Here is a recent one from a couple of weeks ago:

Theres well over 9" clearance from the top of the tires to the underside of the wheel wells in the front and even more in the rear.

The pic in my sig (click on the text) is when the JK had the 4" lift and ACOS/spacers combo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scrogg; 05-08-2009 at 12:21 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-08-2009, 06:46 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucaBrothers View Post
;ike monster size and mad flex.
You don't necessarily need more lift to get more flex, especially with larger tires, as you will be reducing up travel to avoid clearance issues, so you can build for droop not compression.

Quote:
I need two more inches (max) of suspension increase but I do not want to change trackbar mounts.
I think you'll find that with 6" of lift or more you'll want a high steer drag link, which will mean relocating the front track bar at the axle anyway. Also with more lift, things like the roll center become more important, so you may want to raise the track bar mounts at the axle end anyway to improve the roll center. Adjustable track bars would be a good idea anyway.

Quote:
I will either add 2 inch spacers to my 4 inch lift coils or but 5.5 inch coils.
I want everything built the right way with no short cuts.
Answered your own question Get the coils.

Other considerations with 6"+ of lift are things like the pinion angle. Back when I was at 5-3/4" at the front, it was difficult to get a good compromise between pinion angle and caster with an aftermarket drive shaft, which you will need. You can get away with less caster with larger tires though, so you may just be able to get it okay.

Hydro assist will help considerably in turning large tires, both on and off road, and acts as a 1500 psi steering stabilizer on the street. Not essential, but helpful.

I think the need for long arms becomes greater once you get over 6" of lift. At 6" you are most probably okay, but anything over and I'd certainly consider them.

You'll need to pay attention to rim size to run large tires, with 40's 4" of BS is too much, but you can't go much less though. They rub on plenty at the front and rear. More lift will certainly help for the street, but off-road you are going to run into some clearance issues. A sawzall will take care of most, but not the frame rubbing you'll get at the front. Setting up your bump stops correctly will help too.

As already mentioned, moving the lower shock mounts outboard slightly will help with shock clearance issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode