So, is the dealership going to come after me for the damages? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Update: Bought another Jeep from Jason @ Airpark in Scottsdale

Long story short.

I purchased a car on 4/22, the dealership finance dept called me back today and said they couldnt get me financed. I told them there was some mileage and wear/tear put on the vehicle....after all I drove around in the damn thing for 2 weeks thinking it was mine. The finance manager said they wouldnt do anything about the mileage but any damages would be up to the sales manager.I brought the vehicle back to them and they gave me my vehicle back. I gave them the keys and they said "sorry we couldnt make the deal". I asked him if he needed to look at the Jeep, the general sales manages said no.

The vehicle in question is a Jeep, over the 2 weeks we had the vehicle we put 1000 miles on it and took it on a couple trail rides, chewed up the tires a little and put some brush scratches along the textured fender flares and such.

I called my insurance company this evening, explained to them the situation and had them take this Jeep off my policy and put my old car back on. I told them rep about the brush scratches, he said if they did say something it would be a comprehensive claim and subject to my $100 deductible.

So, do you think they will call me back within the next couple days about the damages or not worry about it and fix it themselves? I've never been through this before so I dont know.

Also, as far as being denied why do you think? I've got decent credit score of 680, some credit card debt but nothing major. I applied for a loan through capital one and was just approved for up to $31,200 but there is only 1 dealership in arizona I can go to that will accept there blank check.

UPDATE DOWN BELOW:
Thanks Jason

Last edited by Msokol13; 05-09-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Rock God

They will probably run it through their detail shop. If the scratches buff out, no problems. If they require painting in a body shop, they will charge you.

They usually do the same thing with the demos that their key employees or the owners drive. After about 1000 miles, they detail them. If there is damage not fixed in the detail, then they charge the owner or employee.

As far as financing goes, I know that in my area the dealers have had a hard time getting financing for scores under 700--especially if you are flipped (owe more than it is worth) in your trade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 Old 05-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Rock God

Wow, man, that sucks...I have never heard of a dealer letting you off the lot if the paperwork and stuff is not completely in order...at least none around here...good luck!

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

If they call and say "damages....this and that"....I would tell them to kiss my pretty little white ass. WTF??? Are dealerships seriously letting people drive off for 2 friggin weeks, without a signed contract??? What legal means do they have, to tell you that you owe them money if there were damages? I mean....we all know how much a vehicle depreciates after we sign the papers and drive it off the lot....so what are they gonna do....go back and sell this vehicle as "new"???

Maybe this is common procedure to some, but I have never heard of such a shady and/ or desperate dealership, that would allow someone to take possession of a vehicle for this long, before they even know whether or not you will be able to be financed. Whatever- jmo.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 04:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i say if they didnt want to look at when you brought it back f'em. what do you think would happen if you bought a jeep had it for 2 week then came back to the dealer because you found a dent or scratch that you didnt notice when you picked up the jeep when it was new? they would tell you to pound sand and that yo did the damage

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #6 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 04:42 AM

Angry

never heard of such a thing.
you could not get off the lot in my neck of the woods!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 05:03 AM
Rock God

Wow that is a bit crazy but I agree with Stub. I mean seriously, I can understand a day because you bought it on Sunday and the banks are closed but 2 weeks? Yeah so what do they do with it now? Is it still new or used? I bet they say new.

The finance thing is rough. Heck, I just got turned down for an REI credit card with my credit score around 730. I find it hard to believe no dealers will take the capital one blank check. They just want you to use their companies cause I am sure there is a kickback somewhere. When I went to a dealership with the blue check they gave me a hard time about it but were going to take it. Times are bad, if they won't take the check, walk out of there, you might get a call later.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #8 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 05:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
Wow that is a bit crazy but I agree with Stub. I mean seriously, I can understand a day because you bought it on Sunday and the banks are closed but 2 weeks? Yeah so what do they do with it now? Is it still new or used? I bet they say new.

The finance thing is rough. Heck, I just got turned down for an REI credit card with my credit score around 730. I find it hard to believe no dealers will take the capital one blank check. They just want you to use their companies cause I am sure there is a kickback somewhere. When I went to a dealership with the blue check they gave me a hard time about it but were going to take it. Times are bad, if they won't take the check, walk out of there, you might get a call later.
I bought mine last month with the Capital One Blank Check ... no issues. Actually Capital One had every Jeep Dealer ( and Ford and Chevy as well) in 100 miles from me on the approved dealer list.

The blank Check has quite a bit of FINE PRINT though. I actually was going to use it to purchase a 2008 Rescue Green with 3.73 gears / Tow package / Power windows and Locks / Infinity Stereo and 6-spd. After getting the check and reading the fine print the dealer wanted more than NADA wholesale for it so I would have had to put down over $3,000 for the difference and sales tax since Capital One would only finance Wholesale value.

I then found the deal on my 2009 Deep Water Blue X for $5K below sticker. Capital One will only finance INvoice value on new cars and I was about $3K below invoice so I had no problem there. Heck I was able to add the chrysler 7 year B2B warranty + Hitch/wiring and Sahara Side steps ... Plus sales Tax ... and Still came under invoice price so I didn't put anything down. PLus the interest rate was WAY lower on a new vehicle than a used one.

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles

Last edited by dmhines; 05-07-2009 at 05:26 AM.
post #9 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Rock God

What dealer?
You should try Airpark and/or Tempe.
Airpark talk to Jason.
Tempe talk to Frank or Dave Z.
If you have a blank check tell them and they will do the best they can to get you back on the trails.
post #10 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
What dealer?
You should try Airpark and/or Tempe.
Airpark talk to Jason.
Tempe talk to Frank or Dave Z.
If you have a blank check tell them and they will do the best they can to get you back on the trails.
Thanks!

Now some of you seem shocked by this and it happens more and more because of the banks not approving even people with good credit. You should not be responsible for anydamages since the lazy ass sales manager would not look at them. I have to say your more honest than most people out there. Capital ones blank check comes in green and in blue, one of them is near impossible to get financed. Your credit score seems fine, what about income? What about history? Please do not post any more personal info that I am asking....Just trying to see what happened? Also, capital one does have stipluations, like Proof of income,residence,references. There are ohther banks out there that are more competetive. Give me a shout....

Jason 602-751-7382

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #11 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Rock God

I forgot to mention. My dealer did make me sign a paper indicating that if for some reason the financing had issues and I had to return it I would be allowed 40 miles per day put on the vehicle. It said I would be charged for mileage over that amount and also any damage. I have bought quite a new cars and never had to sign a paper like that so apparantly it is becoming more common.

post #12 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
I forgot to mention. My dealer did make me sign a paper indicating that if for some reason the financing had issues and I had to return it I would be allowed 40 miles per day put on the vehicle. It said I would be charged for mileage over that amount and also any damage. I have bought quite a new cars and never had to sign a paper like that so apparantly it is becoming more common.
BTW nice looking jeep! I love 1/2 doors!

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #13 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
BTW nice looking jeep! I love 1/2 doors!

Jason
Thanks!

post #14 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 08:01 AM

Legally, your liability is limited unless you signed a temporary lease or "bridge contract" that would have allowed you to be culpable for these actions pending a final financial decision. If you walked out of that dealership with a bonding sales contract and now if they have to breach their contract (which is not even legal after 72 hours) due to shaky financials that they were unable to secure, it is not even your problem.

You could have simply attained legal counsel and told them this vehicle is mine, and I have a bonded sales contract. They are in the wrong and they should have never allowed you to leave that dealership with their asset unless it was properly bonded and secured. They would be foolish to go after you for anything & they are lucky you did not know your rights and refuse to return the vehicle. Unless you had prior knowledge or falsified credit/income records, I would have been irate. I am surprised that you were so willing to just "bring it back" ----

In any case, I wish you the best.
Andy

Last edited by AndyLA; 05-07-2009 at 08:04 AM.
post #15 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLA View Post
Legally, your liability is limited unless you signed a temporary lease or "bridge contract" that would have allowed you to be culpable for these actions pending a final financial decision. If you walked out of that dealership with a bonding sales contract and now if they have to breach their contract (which is not even legal after 72 hours) due to shaky financials that they were unable to secure, it is not even your problem.

You could have simply attained legal counsel and told them this vehicle is mine, and I have a bonded sales contract. They are in the wrong and they should have never allowed you to leave that dealership with their asset unless it was properly bonded and secured. They would be foolish to go after you for anything & they are lucky you did not know your rights and refuse to return the vehicle. Unless you had prior knowledge or falsified credit/income records, I would have been irate. I am surprised that you were so willing to just "bring it back" ----

In any case, I wish you the best.
Andy
Thats why we do Back up contracts in these situations with banks we have no control over. We give the consumer 3-5 business days to bring the money or we cash our contract either way the deal is done and secure.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #16 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

It's not unusual to get to drive off in a new vehicle before the financing is secured.

In the last two vehicles I purchased (including this wrangler) I was in and out in just over an hour -- because I didn't have to wait for financing. In both cases, they established that I had "preliminary approval" based on my credit score and income through in-house (Chrysler Financial), I signed the papers at the preliminary approvale rate, gave my down-payment, and drove off. Within two weeks each time I got a nice letter from Chrysler stating everything that was on the paper I signed, and gave me an account number.

I had (up until this recent economic situation) a gauranteed future sign-and-drive deal from the dealership I bought two wranglers from. (I've bought three jeeps past four years, two from one dealer, one from another.) Basically, they've said, "come in, prove you have x amount of disposable income, and that your credit score is the same, and we'll let you leave with any vehicle you want. We'll take care of the financing at an approved range of APR."

It all depends on who you are, their history with you, and how they handle these things.

!c
post #17 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Wheeler

In 99 I traded in a Jeep Grand Cherokee on a new Corvette. It was a holiday weekday (New Years) and all of the banks were closed. They gave me the keys and told me they would call me the next week. Middle of the next week I called the salesman (new) and he didn't have a clue. They didn't call me back until Monday of the next week. They had "forgot" about my paperwork and I needed to come in and fill out new paperwork. After all the hassle, they forgot to pay off my Jeep and I got a blackmark on my credit report. I basically drove the Corvette 2 weeks without them knowing where it went. In the meantime they put new tires on the Jeep and had it sold to someone else. No wonder some dealers are closing.

2007 Rescue Green Rubicon Unlimited
4" Superlift with Bilsteins
37" Mickey Thompson Baja Radials with PSC Spyderlocks
5.13 Yukon Gears and Custom Driveshafts
Mopar Offroad Rear Bumper
Smittybilt Front Stubby with Warn 8000
PSC Rocker Nockers with PSC Body Armor
PSC Front Tube Fenders
KC Lights
AEV Procal Programmer
Powertank
Rockcrusher Diff Covers
1" PA Bodylift
Rockhard Evap Skid
Corbeau CR-1 seats
post #18 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Wheeler

I bought my unlimited from Jason at Airpark he was great to deal with. Give him a call maybe he can get you wheeling again
post #19 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsracing1 View Post
I bought my unlimited from Jason at Airpark he was great to deal with. Give him a call maybe he can get you wheeling again
THANKS!

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #20 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 06:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i also got my jeep even though i stilled owed 10k on it, i was puttng 10k down but couldnt get it on the day i was supposed to pick it up and they let me take it , i couldnt get the cash for another week , i dont remember signing anything saying i would pay them the cash but i might have, i was kinda excited that day.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #21 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Thats why we do Back up contracts in these situations with banks we have no control over. We give the consumer 3-5 business days to bring the money or we cash our contract either way the deal is done and secure.

Jason
You know, even thought I've never met him, I really do like Jason.

I was a factory rep for years (parts & service, sales on the side...don't ask: cheap mfg making me do double duty)....and I've seen that a million times.

Let me guess....the dealer said they couldn't get you financed...BUT...if you put down another $5K, they could try to work something out. This is called recontracting, and I've seen it a million times. I've also come down extremely hard on some of my dealers for doing it (believe it or not, if you file a consumer affairs complaint and get a rep who knows what he's doing, you will get some action)....and yes, Phoenix was part of my district.

Like Stub said, tell the dealer to kiss your arse. You owe them nothing and, if they can't get you financed, you go yourself to a credit union and apply for the loan. Take that paperwork back to the dealer and be done with it. Or just take the Jeep back (though we'd all hate to see that) and tell the dealer that you're not giving them one cent more.

Then call Jason and get yourself a REAL deal.

Dirty's Minions don't officially exist. They are a myth, a bedtime story, a whispered rumor. They are ghosts.

post #22 of 27 Old 05-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
You know, even thought I've never met him, I really do like Jason.

I was a factory rep for years (parts & service, sales on the side...don't ask: cheap mfg making me do double duty)....and I've seen that a million times.

Let me guess....the dealer said they couldn't get you financed...BUT...if you put down another $5K, they could try to work something out. This is called recontracting, and I've seen it a million times. I've also come down extremely hard on some of my dealers for doing it (believe it or not, if you file a consumer affairs complaint and get a rep who knows what he's doing, you will get some action)....and yes, Phoenix was part of my district.

Like Stub said, tell the dealer to kiss your arse. You owe them nothing and, if they can't get you financed, you go yourself to a credit union and apply for the loan. Take that paperwork back to the dealer and be done with it. Or just take the Jeep back (though we'd all hate to see that) and tell the dealer that you're not giving them one cent more.

Then call Jason and get yourself a REAL deal.

Thanks Chris!

Matt and Stacey picked up this nice 2009 JK today after some issues with another dealer. Thanks again for buying a jeep from ME!

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #23 of 27 Old 05-09-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks Jason, the 40 mile trip out to Airpark was defenitely worth it. By far the best buying experience I've ever had with buying a vehicle.

You have a customer for life, I will tell anyone who is interested in a Jeep to come see you first!
post #24 of 27 Old 05-09-2009, 09:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I love a happy ending

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #25 of 27 Old 05-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
I love a happy ending
I got a massage once and was offered a happy ending.....

2' Rusty's coil lift....got 3" out of it
ProComp 7189's 16x8
Goodyear MT/R Kevlars 315/75/16
Jeeperman front Stubby
Smittybuilt XRC8 Hella 500's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode