Brand new jeep-almost flipped-and insurance question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-02-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Brand new jeep-almost flipped-and insurance question

So,

Today my wife and I went off roading today. We are both pretty shook up because we almost flipped our jeep.

Here is what happened:

We were going up a hill and because of the verticle angle I could not see over my hood. We noticed the road narrowing very slightly, before we knew it we were at about a 45 degree angle sideways with our right front end about 5 feet below the left side. The left rear end was completely off the ground probably about 5 feet as well. If not for some other jeep owners who were able to help pull us out we would still probably be there. My heart is still pounding.

After our vehicle was rescued the only damages I can see at this point are to the fuel skid plate...literally a bunch of deep scratches....that is it. I still plan to take it in monday and have the alignment checked but I drove it 25 miles home at highway speeds without even the slight notice of the wheel being off or it pulling one way or the other.

So, a few scratches and a hurt pride is all I have to show. What had happened if my vehicle did flip? I dont think my insurance would have covered it. Does anyone here have a supplemental policy for off-roading on their vehicle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Rock God

I had always thought like you did that insurance would not cover it, but I have heard quite a few stories lately of massive Jeep carnage off road, and each time, at least until this point, they have covered it...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #3 of 12 Old 05-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Wheeler

My Tj was covered when I rolled it, they cover stupid...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-02-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by justajeep View Post
My Tj was covered when I rolled it, they cover stupid...
really!?! What did you tell them when you reported the claim?
post #5 of 12 Old 05-03-2009, 04:20 AM
Wheeler

last two time i went to moab , two different freinds rolled / totaled there jeeps ( one on potato salad other witch's crotch) ins. payed em both

12 Rubi - Dozher - wifes jeep
04 LJ - nameless to protect the guilty - my jeep
14 Raptor - daily/tow rig
post #6 of 12 Old 05-03-2009, 06:24 AM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msokol13 View Post
really!?! What did you tell them when you reported the claim?
I‘ve claimed off road damage before and they covered it. Just tell them the truth, they don’t seem to care where you crash.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Alec W

BTW, if you’re wheeling on unfamiliar trails, and don’t know what’s on the other side of a hill, get out and look next time
post #8 of 12 Old 05-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Granite Guru

About the only instance where the damage would not be covered is if you were in some type of competiion.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-03-2009, 06:32 AM
JKO Addict!

My insurance agent (who is also a good friend) told me that "full coverage means full coverage". He said that 4x4 vehicles get a bit higher rate because there are a percentage of owners that do actually wheel them. And insurance has to cover those regardless. Plus if the vehicle is financed, the insurance company has responsibility to the finance company to cover the damage regardless of how it occurs.

I'm completely up front with my agent about what I do. He has even told me to send him a complete list of my mods and photos so that if anything ever does happen to my Jeep, the pictures and mods are on file and are covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
About the only instance where the damage would not be covered is if you were in some type of competiion.
Yup- My agent told me the same thing. As soon as you enter a competition, you have zero coverage.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-03-2009, 08:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Another Duke already hit the nail on the head- coming from the racing world, I can tell you- if you stuff your car into turn 5 at the track, you're on your own. Find a local tow guy and have him pull you off the track and say you hit a tree, pay him $50 or beer, and call insurance, and you're covered

I still would talk to my insurance company HYPOTHETICALLY. Don't let them know you're rock crawling- just say you have friends who do it, and wanted to know if your coverage extends to that.

Some companies will even cover you, say for a weekend, if you let them know that you're heading to the track, or off-road. Just call them up, and shell out a few extra bucks, and you're covered. That way, if you're in the hospital (Heaven forbid!), and CAN'T pay off the tow guy, you're set Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #11 of 12 Old 05-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Wheeler

I would say the best bet is to just call your agent and ask. Each company is different in how the handle claims. If they do not cover it find a company who will. My agent knows I drag race and show my Mustangs. So I have Exhibition Auto Insurance on them to cover them for what I do with them. If you get in an accident the last thing you want to do is lie to insurance co. about it. If they get a bur up their ass and prove you lied get ready for some criminal charges.

2009 Unlimted X Bone Stock...for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Rock God

Cool, I've had mine jacked like that. Pucker pucker pucker. You kinda get used to it after a while. As far as insurance goes, I dont have a clue. Wished I had been there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode