soft top questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-01-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

soft top questions

With the soft top on and latched down it is still about a 1" from being flush with the front of the windshield. Does anyone else's look like this? I haven't had a chance to roll down to the dealer and cruise their lot to double check.

I've never noticed it being that much of a gap until this past weekend when rain poured in to my jeep. Any help would be appreciated.

I throw a pic up later.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Granite Guru

Mine is flush. I have a hard top for "winter", but I put the soft top on "just in case".

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top

Last edited by Mule'Con; 01-08-2011 at 10:47 AM.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-01-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Wow!! I'm not even close. I'm 1 1/4 inches from where you're at.

to the garage I go.

Thanks for the pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Granite Guru

Attach the front first, then, stttreeeetch the rest of it back. I did it in the sunshine, 75f+, but you should be able to start from the front, and work it back. Luckily the camera was ret to roll, and it was still light outside. I got the jeep hitched up to the jetski for some surf action tomorrow am.

post #5 of 24 Old 05-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Granite Guru

Don't forget the factory soft top has a front bow that needs to be attached.

Last edited by Mule'Con; 05-01-2009 at 08:52 PM.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got it within 3/8 or so. Taking it in to the dealer to morrow to inquire about the steel header I found a part number for. Too many guiness to keep messing with it tonight....kept eyeing the rubber mallet
post #7 of 24 Old 05-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Granite Guru

NAh, save the rubber mallet for other uses. You're really close, sounds like its down to adjustment of the latch.

post #8 of 24 Old 05-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

My experience with the softtop is that it's pretty easy, but if you're not familiar yet, it's easy to get it misaligned. If it's not matching up, you may not have it seated correctly on top. My first top would do what I wanted, so I tried to encourage it a little and it ripped.

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
post #9 of 24 Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Rock God

I had alignment problems too. When I did it in the correct order it lined up better ,found instructions on youtube
YouTube - OPERATING A SOFT TOP UNLIMITED 4 DOOR JEEP WRANGLER

2008 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited (stock)

PAVED ROADS
A fine example of needless
government spending
post #10 of 24 Old 05-02-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Mule,

Are you talking about the front latches or the ones where the sunrider latches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockredsahara View Post
I had alignment problems too. When I did it in the correct order it lined up better ,found instructions on youtube
YouTube - OPERATING A SOFT TOP UNLIMITED 4 DOOR JEEP WRANGLER
Thanks for the video

None of my zippers pull that easy. I'm off to the dealer to see what they have to say. Plus I'm picking up some rescue green paint.

edit added....

Went to the dealer to do a couple things....

1. Ask them to flash the comp to adjust the spedo/odometer for the new tires I put on. The "service manager" asked me what size. When I told her 33s she said they could only go up to 22s??? After some explaining she got it through her head that I didn't need my 33" rims balanced. She said she didn't know if they could do that but thinks someone at some time might have came in and asked the same question but she wasn't sure of the answer.

2. I asked about the gap on the front of my soft-top. Showed her where it didn't line up and that the leading edge sticks above the front of the windshield. Told her avout the wind noise and the indoor waterfall action I get when it rains. She gave me two possible solutions both were jaw-dropping stupid.

-The first was the top fits like it is supposed to and the 1/2 inch gap was normal. I had purposly parked next to a Wrangler with a soft top on their lot. I asked that we walk over to it and look at the fitment on that one. We did and guess what? I lined up perfectly with the windshield.

-the second was that some jeeps aren't designed for a soft top and that was probably my issue. I assured her that mine was designed to have a soft top and showed her the sticker. She said that she still needed one of her techs to take a look at it. Conveniently, none were in today.

I'm taking it in Monday to show a tech and hopefully get some better service.

Last edited by dizug; 05-02-2009 at 11:39 AM.
post #11 of 24 Old 05-03-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Finally got some pics of the top.
Attached Images

post #12 of 24 Old 05-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Granite Guru

Dizug-I'm sorry, I jumped in & was talking about the bikini top bridge. You definitely have a fitment problem on yours as its not even sitting in the gasket properly. Hopefully a tech will fix it. My salesman happened to be super knowledgeable about jeeps, as he is on his second one for the past 18yrs.

post #13 of 24 Old 05-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizug View Post
Finally got some pics of the top.
The gap on my 2dr I just bought looks exactly like yours. Mine does not go flush like the first pics. Hmmmmmm

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #14 of 24 Old 05-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NorthGAX Send a message via Yahoo to NorthGAX

I have had this problem also (usually after using the sunrider option). Check your back C pillars and see if the cloth is seated into the groove on the tub. I have found that when using the sunrider the whole soft top can move backward making it very difficult to put the windshield latches back.

My fix is to pull the velcro on the side windows and push forward on the back of the soft top. This will move the top more forward and the latches will seat properly and pull the top.

Love you brother and you will always be my hero!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Rock God

I'll have to play with it tomorrow .. it's raining right now. I do notice that my passenger side fits more flush than the driver side ... 1/4 inch gap on passenger side and 3/8th on driver side ...

The last time I messed with the top I did only have the Sunrider open ...

post #16 of 24 Old 05-04-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Took the Jeep to the dealer today. My build date is outside the what the TSB covers but after some convincing but they "found a way" to apply it. Should be replacing the seal at the top of the windshield and the header unit.

I can pick it up tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it works.
post #17 of 24 Old 05-05-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Screw'd o de Mayo

Picked up the Jeep this evening. Dealer called me @ 1645 to say it was ready. They close @ 1800 so by the time I got there all the techs had went home.

Right away I could see that the gap was still there. The write up said they replaced the header gasket and from the smell of adhesive and coffee mug rings on my hood, I knew they had done something. I told the service manager that the gap looked the same but I'd get it on the road and see what it sounded like.

Drove off and even at 20mph I could tell something was off so I pulled over in a parking lot. Found the dealer had put the door surrounds back but they didn't put back in the bolts that hold them in place on the roll bar. I called the dealer and the service manager told me the tech that had done the work was gone and asked that I bring it in tomorrow. I said no at first but didn't feel like leaving it for another night so they threw in an oil change. I'm normally fairly chill but this is a little ridiculous.

I can't really tell if what they did fixed it because without the door surrounds being in the right spot it kind of throws the whole thing off. I'm kicking myself in the ASS FOR NOT CHECKING CLOSER BEFORE I DROVE IT OFF THE LOT.

Top showing the misalligned door surround
Passenger side view
Driver's side showing the new and improved header gasket.
Attached Images

post #18 of 24 Old 05-05-2009, 07:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Dude...is there another dealership even remotely close to you? Sound like a change in atmosphere is in order.
post #19 of 24 Old 05-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Rock God

I played around my top today ... loosened up the top and fully latched it first before putting everything back together. Although the official JEEP video says that installing the top will be harder if not impossible if you latch it first ... I did not have any issues. Perhaps not having issues proves something isn't right?

The passenger side pretty much goes all the way to the edge of the windshield gasket with just about no gap. The Driver side still has maybe a 1/4 inch gap.

Even with with the latch fully closed and the sunrider latch open (I thought maybe the sunrider latch was preventing it from fully seating) the gap does not change. I can only assume that the windshield gasket is not installed 100% straight causing the bigger gap on one side than the other.

It does not leak so I'm not gonna mess with it anymore ...

post #20 of 24 Old 05-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Granite Guru

I did not watch the video, as the manual spells out a simple procedure, and if followed when the top is above 70f, then attaching the front FIRST, then streeetching back is the preferred method. I tried it attaching the back first, and it does not work correctly, as it ends up too short, like the pics (I had a few pints in me, so I wasn't on my game baby).

post #21 of 24 Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule'Con View Post
I did not watch the video, as the manual spells out a simple procedure, and if followed when the top is above 70f, then attaching the front FIRST, then streeetching back is the preferred method. I tried it attaching the back first, and it does not work correctly, as it ends up too short, like the pics (I had a few pints in me, so I wasn't on my game baby).
No matter which I end I fasten first ... my top does not seal as neatly or as tightly as your top ...

post #22 of 24 Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Went back to the dealer this morning so I could pick up my door surround bolts they forgot to reinstall. Service manager was back and forth asking me questions and relaying the answers to the tech. Eventally I asked if I could just talk to the tech myself.

Long story short everyone agrees my top does not fit like it is supposed to. We also discussed where the leak is coming from. The jeep stayed outside at the dealer Monday night, it rained and the floors were completely soaked. They don't think that much water is coming in from the top and I'd have to agree. That maybe it is coming through the engine compartment because the carpet is wet behinfd the pedals.

I brought up the possibility of mold living in my Jeep and their faces went white.

They are called the manager and I was told they were calling Chrysler on this issue. Maybe there is an 09 K in my future
post #23 of 24 Old 05-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Rock God

Yeah way to go kick in that "Lemon law clause and just hold out for that 09 because of all the pain and suffering you have had to date. Document everything or it's your word against there's.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #24 of 24 Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Rock God

There are two JK's in the parking garage at my office everyday ... One unlimited and one X . I couldn't find the Unlimited today but the X had the exact same gap at the windshield ... it wasn't flush.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode