Not a Jeep but pretty cool..Original 1966 Bronco - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Not a Jeep but pretty cool..Original 1966 Bronco

Just had this delivered to my shop. 1966 Brono that is in pretty good condition. Owner paid 5 grand. Spare tire carrier is taken off and we are going to smooth out the holes and refinish. I wouldn't mind having this in the garage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 10:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Nice! Yeah, I wouldn't mind having one in my garage.
post #3 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 10:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sold mine 2 months ago. First '66 sold in Medford OR. I was the 3rd owner.

I just had to have a JKU. I beat her pretty good and she was great to me. I couldn't beat on her anymore so I sold it to a guy who wanted to build it to have a show toy.
Attached Images

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.

Last edited by Broncojohn; 04-30-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Rock God

I wouldn't mind having one of those either...great looking vehicles...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #5 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Granite Guru

I used to want one of those so bad... ended up settling for a 80's big Bronco....

That is a great looking one there, just a little TLC would make it a show winner.

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
post #6 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

5 Grand?!?! I've had a couple of old Broncos and that one is CHERRY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #7 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Rock God

Nice. Been there, done that. Should have never sold it...
Attached Images

post #8 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Rock God

That's a pretty good price if all he paid was $5K.
post #9 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 12:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Gotta appreciate that. All of the Broncos posted are sweet. The first one is so cherry it would be a shame to mod it.
post #10 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 01:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just took a good look. It's not a '66.

'66 doesn't have back up lights
The Dash is wrong.
The lift gate has the wrong handle (original '66 is unique, could be a converted roadster)
Inside door handles are wrong
Shouldn't have side markers

It looks like it has a mix of '67 and '68.

The best way to check if its a real '66 is check for the vin plate. It will be on the drivers kick panel. If it's not there it's a rebuild with parts.

It's a nice truck.

Quote:

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #11 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Gotta appreciate that. All of the Broncos posted are sweet. The first one is so cherry it would be a shame to mod it.
After I repair the holes, and paint, it will stay how you see it. No mods planned and no plans to subject it to the Florida mud/beach cruiser. Owner had to do some mechanical repair to the front axle and put new wheels on it. That's it. He got a good one. Drove it in the lot and I love the simplistic nature of the transmission.
post #12 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 01:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post

The Dash is wrong.
The lift gate has the wrong handle (original '66 is unique, could be a converted roadster)

The best way to check if its a real '66 is check for the vin plate. It will be on the drivers kick panel. If it's not there it's a rebuild with parts.

It's a nice truck.
Well, there you have it. Good eye.
post #13 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
Drove it in the lot and I love the simplistic nature of the transmission.
3 on the tree is always fun. The vacumm wipers are a hoot too. I would get gigged for wipers inop at the inspection station, until I had them turn the engine on.

Quote:

post #14 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 01:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Don't get me wrong guy's its a slick truck. The guy made out great either way. I was mid restoration on mine when I sold mine. I wouldn't take less then $7500, and it was in pieces. It wasn't much of a '66 after I swapped the I-6 and bulletproofed the drivetrain. The '66 and '67 are very unique Bronco's and the parts are hard to find if you want to restore for original. I got $100 for an original set of lockouts. I still have the original '66 rearview and it should fetch a couple of bills.

$5k for a Bronco that looks like that is a steal.

Quote:

post #15 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Love those old bronco's, there are some nice ones out here in AZ that you see time to time on the trail.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #16 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Don't get me wrong guy's its a slick truck. The guy made out great either way. I was mid restoration on mine when I sold mine. I wouldn't take less then $7500, and it was in pieces. It wasn't much of a '66 after I swapped the I-6 and bulletproofed the drivetrain. The '66 and '67 are very unique Bronco's and the parts are hard to find if you want to restore for original. I got $100 for an original set of lockouts. I still have the original '66 rearview and it should fetch a couple of bills.

$5k for a Bronco that looks like that is a steal.
Really nice broncs guys, i bought one off of a ranch in far west texas back in the late 80's for $4500. had a total of 24,000 miles on it. it spent its life on the ranch and never went out on the highway. original red paint, white top 1968 model with 3 on the column, 4:10's, 289, dual gas tanks, and a 15000# koenig PTO winch, bulkhead and even a working original AM radio. I did a frame up on it with polyE bushings, dual front and rear shocks, traction bars, 4 inch lift 33" tires and american mags, bushwacker fenders, etc. Got all my parts from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. Don't know if they are still around, but man, they had everything you needed for 66 to 77 broncs. Gave it to my son when he got back from Desert Storm. Katrina Drowned her. Son rebuilt it and sold it.

EDIT: http://broncograveyard.com/

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 04-30-2009 at 02:31 PM.
post #17 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

The Dash is wrong.

It's a nice truck.
You know a lot more about these trucks then I do.

That could be my superstar receptionist more than the owner not knowing what year his truck is.

I went out and checked the kick panel and there is no vin plate. Can not find any plates anywhere on the truck. The interior has been sprayed and who knows what is underneath. Took a picture under the hood for you guys.
post #18 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Rock God

My dad had a 77 bronco ranger and i had a 71 all fibreglass body with a soft top and a chevy 350 in it!!

When i get settled in a house my future project will be another bronc with a F.I 5.0 rock rig...i love them..

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
post #19 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 06:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I lived these things since '94. It's not uncomon to see a vin swap. The most common place to find the vin on post '67 Bronco's is the Glovebox door ( yes the door comes off with 4 srews and that's all it takes to put a valid title on a salvage truck). If your into the trucks you'll find out the VIN is also stamped on top of the frame between the right front shock mount and the first body mount aft. Its hard to see and most likely full of paint. I found mine when I lifted the body and wire brushed the frame.

The dead give away for 1966 is the rear shock mounts. It is the only year the front and rear shocks were the same. The rear both face forward and they are the bayonet type. The frame side shock mount is a huge V-shaped angle sticking out of the side of the frame. There is a hole on the back facing side for the shock bayonet to mount to. If It's there then the frame is a '66 and the body was changed.

The V-8 was introduced in late '66 so it's hard to tell if it was original. The only way to swap it in if it was a I-6 is to cut the mounts off a doner. The Vacumm Brake booster is not original and the disk brake Mastercylinder isn't also. It should be a single chamber round master cylinder.

The dash board looks stripped and the heater looks removed(no hoses from the engine). The '66 knobs are unique to the Bronco but used on pre'66 Ford trucks. Same with the door handle on the inside which was borrowed from the trucks also. The give away on the doors is the flapper type inner handle the '66 had it's own seperate inside handle to open the door. On the outside of the door the key directly under the handle tells you the outside skin is '67 or earlier. If you look a riverkids pic the key is 4" below the handle. With the key location on the door and the flapper on the inside I would guess the doors are off a 67 or someone did some welding on the doors.

Does it have a dana 44 or 30? Dana 44 was introduced in '72. Power brakes in '76. Power steering in '74. Both are very common to swap in.

If you want any more info PM or post. I'm trying to drive my passion back to jeep. I was the same way with CJ's before '94. I could tell you what year buy looking in and under the thing. Jeeps were harder the changes were so small, I couldn't do it today. The Bronco is still fresh in my mind and covering my garage. I'm slowly getting rid of all the spare parts.

Quote:

post #20 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 07:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you look in the Wheel Well just above and aft of the forward spring mount you can see the V-shaped mount. This was only on '66 frames.
Attached Images

Quote:

post #21 of 27 Old 05-01-2009, 03:52 AM

Cool truck! Old Broncos are really neat trucks and a 5K for that kind of shape he can't go wrong.
post #22 of 27 Old 05-01-2009, 05:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Nice, reminds me of the 82 Bronco "Little Mule PEPE" in the movie "Romancing the Stone" circa 1984
post #23 of 27 Old 05-01-2009, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
Nice, reminds me of the 82 Bronco "Little Mule PEPE" in the movie "Romancing the Stone" circa 1984
I forgot about that. Love that scene..."They told you I had a car, those crazy comedians....they meant my little mule!!"
post #24 of 27 Old 05-01-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

FYI....The May Offroad Adventures magazine (4 Wheel Parts in-house mag) has an article on early Bronco's in it.
post #25 of 27 Old 05-01-2009, 08:14 PM
JKO Addict!

check some of these out , this is a shop here in Chico,ca that builds custom broncos, check out the video www.mpscustomrides.com anything old bronco he has it . anything suspension he can build it. that is a sweet bronco you got even if the wheel wells have been cut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode