"IMPOSSIBLE" JK Trials - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
It never ends...

"IMPOSSIBLE" JK Trails

Guys, I was reading a post on the Maze trail thread. It got me thinking....fairly frequently someone will say something like: "you can't put your school bus through there...only buggies could make it without being destroyed". Of course I usually have to try. I mean, what the heck, Rex is made to wheel and try stuff, and I bet there are others like me...who want to push it a bit.

So I would like to collect a list of trails that "you can't get your JK through without destroying it" or "really hard trails than have never had a JK through them", or "people would pay money to see a JK try that trail" or "To go where no JK has gone before"

I'm taking all ideas. .

Here is the collection so far:

Really Hard Trails Where JKs or JKUs have completed the trail (albeit with dings, body damage, scrapes)
Carnage Canyon, Buena Vista, CO
Independence, Penrose, CO
Patriot, Penrose, CO
21 Road, Grand Junction, CO
Die Trying, Montrose, CO
Megasaraus, Rangely, CO
Chain Reaction, St. George, UT
Lions Den, Harlan, KY
Calico, Johnson Valley, CA
Schizo, Johnson Valley, CA
Afflication, Raush Creek
Can Opener/Funny Rocks/Moon Rocks, Naches, WA
Green Mamba Extension, Clayton, OK
Shoot the moon, Raush Creek
Tobasco Twister, Las Cruces, NM
Pitzacuaro's Revenge, Las Cruces, NM
Habanero Falls, Las Cruces, NM
Upper Helldorado, Area BFE, Moab UT
Brittany Spears, Area BFE, Moab, UT
Smashing Pumpkin, Area BFE, Moab UT

Really hard trails believed not yet to be conquered by a JK or JKU:
Captain Crunch in the Black Hills.
Arrowhead, St. George
Full of Hate, Johnson Valley CA
SOS, Johnson Valley, CA
Bloody Mary, Johnson Valley, CA
Boulder Canyon, Montrose, CO
Calamity, Montrose, CO
Cactus 1, Montrose, CO
Cactus 2, Montrose, CO
Death Row, Montrose, CO
Calico, Johnson Valley, CA
Schizo, Johnson Valley, CA
Most of the Rangely Off Road Park Trails, Rangely CO.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adventures of Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LeftHandRubi; 02-21-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
"IMPOSSIBLE" JK Trials

Lions Den; Black Mountain Harlan, Kentucky

The drop in

The middle

Then a break

And the exit

Oh, all that and if you mis-step and slide left, you fall down the mountain. Freaking killer.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

Last edited by TCdawg; 02-16-2013 at 12:43 PM.
post #3 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 02:16 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

What is stopping you and your rig from doing anything other than balls and ability (rig and driver)? Might be wrong... but believe the guy that said that about the JK in that other thread was just talking on a balls perspective. I would guess few JK owners have yet to ascribe to the "chicks dig body damage" rule.

I like your idea... "trails you say I can't do!" But what is the criteria? Most trails have plenty of bypasses for the good stuff and the buggy lines aren't usually even the trail itself. Are we talking trails where you must take the hard line or what? Then there is the whole my rig is different than your rig issue.... I might have an exo and not worry about body damage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
It never ends...

"IMPOSSIBLE" JK Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
What is stopping you and your rig from doing anything other than balls and ability (rig and driver)? Might be wrong... but believe the guy that said that about the JK in that other thread was just talking on a balls perspective. I would guess few JK owners have yet to ascribe to the "chicks dig body damage" rule.

I like your idea... "trails you say I can't do!" But what is the criteria? Most trails have plenty of bypasses for the good stuff and the buggy lines aren't usually even the trail itself. Are we talking trails where you must take the hard line or what? Then there is the whole my rig is different than your rig issue.... I might have an exo and not worry about body damage?
Good point. Trails with buggy, and bypasses, I don't think should count. We can usually find those and do them. For example I've done all the trails at BFE. While some of those are hard, they aren't THAT hard. I'm thinking harder than those. Trails where guys say any of:

A) don't go in there. You'll get destroyed.
B) you rig is too big to do it.
C) only buggies can do it
D) JKs suck. They will never make it.
E) a JK never has done it.

Potential body damage comes with the turf (so to speak). Same with roll over potential. Same with breakage. Shit happens.

I guess we need a list of trails, and special obstacles.

For example a few years ago I did Die Trying in Montrose. That trail had an obstacle where the bet was Rex would never make it. Legend was no JK, especially a four door had made it. And there was no bypass. When Rex took "the big JK (Rex) line" the spectators were surprised. The local club guys thought that Rex might have been the first JK through (who knows really?).

So I guess we need a list of trails, and spectacular obstacles. Especially where no JK has gone before.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #5 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
It never ends...

"IMPOSSIBLE" JK Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Lions Den; Black Mountain Harlan, Kentucky

The drop in

The middle

Then a break

And the exit

Oh, all that and if you mis-step and slide left, you fall down the mountain. Freaking killer.
Lions den goes on the list. I like it.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #6 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Rock God

"IMPOSSIBLE" JK Trials

^^^ that looks like a fun trail. I'd try it but only after a cage.
post #7 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
It never ends...

"IMPOSSIBLE" JK Trials

Another "criteria" : "if you break in there you'll have to hire a helicopter to get it out".

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #8 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 PM
JKO Addict!

I do believe Green Mamba Extension in Clayton, Oklahoma meets your criteria. I love this trail. My TJ and a friends CJ.

The entrance is the tightest spot. I have left paint there before. (random Jeep)

Green Mamba Extension - YouTube

It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.― Ronald Reagan

Last edited by redneck ron; 02-16-2013 at 04:23 PM.
post #9 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 04:53 PM
JKO Addict!

I have been to Harlan and Lion's Den and I don't know how you'd get a JK through there. I'll admit, I'm a doubter.

We will be there the first weekend in April and another group is having an informal competition in/on Lions Den that first Friday of April at 10am. Come on out!

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #10 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Honestly, and don't take this wrong, but most of the pics in this thread are of obstacles no more extreme than I have already taken my JK through regularly.

I don't care about body damage or a flop, and wheel with some like-minded folks. I don't purposely destroy my rig, but don't cry when it happens either. What keeps me off certain trails is:

1) A 50% or greater chance of experiencing a nasty roll-over (not flop). Like I said, I will not purposely make my Jeep a total loss.
2) A trail that is dangerous beyond the safety capacity of my JK. My JK will save my life in a normal roll-over, but might kill me if I do 3 back-flips down a cliff. JKs are not structurally built for that type of abuse - I have a buggy for that shit.

So, you can take a JK through anything, but have to be willing to live (or die) with the consequences. Its all about the risk to your investment and your well-being.

Of the top of my head, I can think of several that I would absolutely not take my JK on:

SOS in Johnson Valley (although it is getting destroyed by the rock stackers and getting easier every year);
Name:  SOS.jpg
Views: 2718
Size:  223.5 KB

New trail, "Bloody Mary";
Name:  bloody Mary.jpg
Views: 3768
Size:  97.3 KB

Full of Hate is a good one;
Name:  FOH1.jpg
Views: 2193
Size:  116.2 KB

There are also a couple of super-secret trails in Ridgecrest I am not allowed to talk about, but I would never take my JK through them
post #11 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Rock God

Re: "IMPOSSIBLE" JK Trials

I think Id pay to see you run lions den. With no b pillar you might have a chance. Guarantee to get a few dents

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
post #12 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Honestly, and don't take this wrong, but most of the pics in this thread are of obstacles no more extreme than I have already taken my JK through regularly.

I don't care about body damage or a flop, and wheel with some like-minded folks. I don't purposely destroy my rig, but don't cry when it happens either. What keeps me off certain trails is:

1) A 50% or greater chance of experiencing a nasty roll-over (not flop). Like I said, I will not purposely make my Jeep a total loss.
2) A trail that is dangerous beyond the safety capacity of my JK. My JK will save my life in a normal roll-over, but might kill me if I do 3 back-flips down a cliff. JKs are not structurally built for that type of abuse - I have a buggy for that shit.

So, you can take a JK through anything, but have to be willing to live (or die) with the consequences. Its all about the risk to your investment and your well-being.

Of the top of my head, I can think of several that I would absolutely not take my JK on:

SOS in Johnson Valley (although it is getting destroyed by the rock stackers and getting easier every year);
Attachment 62719

New trail, "Bloody Mary";
Attachment 62718

Full of Hate is a good one;
Attachment 62720

There are also a couple of super-secret trails in Ridgecrest I am not allowed to talk about, but I would never take my JK through them
No offense taken. Damn, that looks fun.

It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.― Ronald Reagan
post #13 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
It never ends...

Thanks for posting up. I like these trails.

OK. Another way to think about the criteria (inspired by Frankie): "I'd pay money to see a JK go through that".

Hey RedneckR, Green Mamba goes on the list. Nice rigs BTW. I want to get a TJ rig eventually (in addition to the JK).

DDog, I too am in the camp of I'll try almost anything and see what happens. We have got to wheel together sometime. SOS, Bloody Mary, and Full of Hate go on the list. I look at those pictures and think it would be fun to try. From the pics they look "doable"

So what trails other than those named so far, haven't had a JK through it yet but should? (Maybe this is a better statement of the criteria)

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #14 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
I have been to Harlan and Lion's Den and I don't know how you'd get a JK through there. I'll admit, I'm a doubter.

We will be there the first weekend in April and another group is having an informal competition in/on Lions Den that first Friday of April at 10am. Come on out!
Make sure to take good video. I will be in Moab on the 1st Friday in April. Are there other trails in that are around Harlan that are worth the trip from CO? I would like to come out there.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #15 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
It never ends...

We should also start a list: Trails YOU did, that your buggy and TJ buddies couldn't believe you did. List the trail and location.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #16 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Rock God

Re: "IMPOSSIBLE" JK Trials

Might as well take lions den off the list. Been there. Done it. In a 4 door on 40's the tree was the hardest part.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #17 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Love this thread and it will become my bucket list.

You mentioned all the trails at BFE and from my experience a 4 door is not capable of the final climb out of Helldorado/waterfall without running a line.

Here is Larry/Poison Spyder at the top and a guy standing on the wall to put the climb in perspective.

Larry, Mel from OFE, and Andrew in the Falken JK all attempted in 4 doors and cleared everything up to this point. The breakover on top of the waterfall appears to be too much for the unlimited wheelbase. I hope you can prove me wrong.

It can be done in 2 door because Joe Daro and I almost had it and it was in the 30's and wet. We were very close and with a little more traction I am confident we would had made it unassisted.

post #18 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
Love this thread and it will become my bucket list.

You mentioned all the trails at BFE and from my experience a 4 door is not capable of the final climb out of Helldorado/waterfall without running a line.

Here is Larry/Poison Spyder at the top and a guy standing on the wall to put the climb in perspective.

Larry, Mel from OFE, and Andrew in the Falken JK all attempted in 4 doors and cleared everything up to this point. The breakover on top of the waterfall appears to be too much for the unlimited wheelbase. I hope you can prove me wrong.

It can be done in 2 door because Joe Daro and I almost had it and it was in the 30's and wet. We were very close and with a little more traction I am confident we would had made it unassisted.

The breakover is hard. I finished by winching. No shame. Last time, I landed on the rock at the top and broke my front drive shaft Finished by winching. A little winching is OK in my book. Safety lines are ok too.

Next time I will get a more of a running start and launch it.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #19 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Rock God

This thread wins
post #20 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
It never ends...

"IMPOSSIBLE" JK Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
Might as well take lions den off the list. Been there. Done it. In a 4 door on 40's the tree was the hardest part.
Cool.
I think we need another list: hard trails, where only a few JKs have made it.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #21 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Rock God

There are a few lines in the Funny Rocks/Moon Rocks area of Naches, WA that I wouldn't try to run a JK through.

There are a lot of ways up these rocks so you can technically bypass... But whatevs.

This one is called can-opener
http://www.dragtimes.com/video-viewe...NivyE8&feature
post #22 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltz View Post
There are a few lines in the Funny Rocks/Moon Rocks area of Naches, WA that I wouldn't try to run a JK through.

There are a lot of ways up these rocks so you can technically bypass... But whatevs.

This one is called can-opener
http://www.dragtimes.com/video-viewe...NivyE8&feature
Cool. Never heard of these. Thanks. They go on the list.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #23 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
It can be done in 2 door because Joe Daro and I almost had it and it was in the 30's and wet. We were very close and with a little more traction I am confident we would had made it unassisted
I ended up being a pussy and winching that fall (the rest of the trail was easy in a 2-door on 42s). I almost did a back flip when my front coilovers unloaded at the top. I little more umph under the hood would help too. A nicely built 4-door with stickies should handle it.
post #24 of 79 Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi View Post
We should also start a list: Trails YOU did, that your buggy and TJ buddies couldn't believe you did. List the trail and location.
Back in 08 NOBODY really wheeled their JKs hard. WayOfGay was considered hardcore

As soon as I got my JK, I slapped on a 2.5" budget boost and 35s and ran sledgehammer & Jackhammer. Everyone said I was the first JK. Sledgehammer was still considered hard-core back then.

Then in 08, one of the most built JKs at the time, the Finishline West Unlimited, attempted Calico Gatekeeper to be the first JK up. He broke almost everything and got wedged in some rocks causing a very difficult and long recovery. 3 JKs from my club went over there the next month and made it through. Everyone said "JKs are too wide to make it":
Name:  MCK_3782.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  93.9 KB
Name:  calico GC.jpg
Views: 2515
Size:  152.9 KB

Prior to 2011, 3 JKs had completed Little Sluice on the Rubicon (Mel Wade, Dave from Poly, and another guy ) - but none without winching. Then Abendx decided to make it his bitch and be the first and last JK to make it unassisted and without cheating by running along the side wall. This obstacle is now gone forever:
Name:  little sluice.jpg
Views: 1996
Size:  112.6 KB
Name:  little sluice1.jpg
Views: 2148
Size:  104.7 KB

That same year, I ran the Schizo trail, never completed by a JK (everyone said it was impossible):
Name:  waterfall1.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  164.6 KB

Builds have gotten so big over the last 5 years, I don't think there is anything that will stop a JK now!
post #25 of 79 Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
"IMPOSSIBLE" JK Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post

It's a damn tough trail. You'll notice in my pictures...my JK was not shown, I didn't get in it.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode