Starting Problems? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Starting Problems?

Has anyone else experienced problems with their Jeep starting?

Since day 1, I've had a problem that has no coorelation to amount of time sitting, temperature, etc. Occasionally, I will go to start my '07, and it will crank, but not start. I have to shut the key off, then try to start it a second time, which will start without a problem.

My Jeep is headed to the dealer tomorrow for it's 4th attempt to fix the problem. The first time was a "Can not dulipcate". Second time they "replaced the cam sensor". The third time they "reprogrammed the computer with software updates". I have been less than impressed with the dealer maintenance in regards to a few other things, but unfortunately it's the dealer I purchased the vehicle from, and I want to keep a paper trail since it's still under warrantee.

The dealer is a bit baffled, as they say that there are no codes in the diagnosis computer that show up, so they cannot diagnose the problem. They are at the point that they want me to let someone drive the Jeep for a couple days, to see if they can duplicate it.

I've got 19k miles on it, after just over two years of owning this thing. I'm ready to have the dealer drop a grenade in the fuel tank, and let NASA let me know when it's reentering the atmosphere, so I can pick it up again!

Any others having a similar problem? I'd like to hear the findings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Granite Guru

my heep has done this from day one and the dealership has NO idea what to do
post #3 of 6 Old 04-29-2009, 02:24 PM
JKowners Vendor

Same here, it is very random. It just did it on Saturday and hasn't done it for months prior. Give us an update an let us know if they find anything?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Ok, the latest fix is installing a new Totally Integrated Computer something-or-other. They've been scratching their heads for a while, and can't figure it out. Nothing for codes in the computer, no consistency, so replace the parts until it stops. We'll see what happens!

What have others had done from the dealers?
post #5 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Rock God

NUMBER: 08-001-08 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: February 23, 2008

SUBJECT:
Long Engine Crank Time And/Or MIL Illumination Due To DTC P0340 / P0344

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the reprogramming of the PCM and the possible replacement of the engine camshaft sensor.

MODELS:
2008 (JK) Wrangler

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.8L engine (sales code EGT) and built prior to February 13, 2008 (MDH 0213XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience one of the following conditions:
1). A Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination when starting due to one of the following DTCs:
a). P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit - Bank 1 Sensor 1
b). P0344 - Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent - Bank 1 Sensor 1
2). Long engine crank time.
3). Two engine start attempts prior to engine starting.
4). Due to the “TIP Start Feature” on automatic transmission equipped vehicles, once the ignition key / switch has been released from the “START” position, the starter may stay engaged for up to 10 seconds while the engine attempts to start.

hope that helps

.[___]

(OllllllO)
{}--o{}
post #6 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 03:31 PM
14ers

Yeah, they replaced the cam sensor about 1500 miles ago and it has been starting without issue ever since.

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode