any mechanics in the house? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

any mechanics in the house?

So the other day i was on my way back from a party when i go to shift into 3rd gear and my jeep litterally wouldnt let me! thankfully i was able to glide her to the side of the road to see what the problem was but i couldnt figure it out i would push the clutch down and try to force it into 1st gear(or anygear for that matter) but it was stuck in nuetral.....to make a loooooong story short i ended up having to call my dad at 1AM and he drove to where i was broken down and he used his triple A to get me a flatbed to tow it to the dealership s thankgod everything is still under warranty.....but nobody can look at it untilll later today....im just curious what do u think is up with my jk???? ...when i turned it off i could put it into gear if that info helps at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-27-2009, 07:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

sound like your clutch isnt working, i had a leak in my slave cly and this happend but i could tell thats what it was because the clutch pedal was very light, easyier then normal to push down.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #3 of 11 Old 04-27-2009, 07:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

How does your clutch pedal feel?

If your pedal is normal and there's nothing wrong with the hydraulics, sounds like a clutch-related problem. A broken pressure plate, frozen or damaged throw-out bearing, grease,oil or dirt on the clutch material, frozen pilot bearing, or broken springs on the clutch disc just to name a few of the possibilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Rock God

Or all the friction material is gone...
post #5 of 11 Old 04-27-2009, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
How does your clutch pedal feel?

the pedal actually felt pretty normallll but idkkk i havnt had it since Sat. night so i couldnt tell you for sure if there was a true diffrence
post #6 of 11 Old 04-27-2009, 07:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverkid View Post
yeah, that, too. But I would think he would have mentioned a burnt-clutch smell if that was the case. And usually, smoked clutches aren't all of a sudden...usually.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Rock God

Yep, but that is what happened to my buddy Dave at Clevenger last trip, no smell, nada, just all the material colored itself gone...
post #8 of 11 Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954jeepin View Post
So the other day i was on my way back from a party when i go to shift into 3rd gear and my jeep litterally wouldnt let me! thankfully i was able to glide her to the side of the road to see what the problem was but i couldnt figure it out i would push the clutch down and try to force it into 1st gear(or anygear for that matter) but it was stuck in nuetral.....to make a loooooong story short i ended up having to call my dad at 1AM and he drove to where i was broken down and he used his triple A to get me a flatbed to tow it to the dealership s thankgod everything is still under warranty.....but nobody can look at it untilll later today....im just curious what do u think is up with my jk???? ...when i turned it off i could put it into gear if that info helps at all
It definitely sounds like you lost our clutch slave cylinder. I have an 07 Rubi and mine went about 8 months ago, they towed it to the dealership at their cost, replaced it with a "newly" re-designed slave cylinder. If you would have seen a leak at the bellhousing clutch mating area and it smelled like DOT3 brake fluid then it is definitely a slave clutch gone bad. Mine was so bad I had to turn it off as well to put into first and get off the street in front of my house waiting on a wrecker, lucky I broke down where I did. This is a warranty item if you're within the 3yr/36mon or lifetime drivetrain.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-27-2009, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
yeah, that, too. But I would think he would have mentioned a burnt-clutch smell if that was the case. And usually, smoked clutches aren't all of a sudden...usually.

ahhh! to tell you the truth i have been getting a burnt clutch odor every once in a while but the odor was really noticeable after i took it wheeling in the everglades but i thought nothing of it.....
post #10 of 11 Old 04-27-2009, 08:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Yep, but that is what happened to my buddy Dave at Clevenger last trip, no smell, nada, just all the material colored itself gone...
That's why I said "usually". When I used to turn wrenches, I saw two cases where the material just flaked off in chunks - no slippage-type burning involved...but that's pretty rare.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-27-2009, 08:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Now, that I thought about it some more (I'm still beat from this weekend and too tired to think clearly), if his clutch was gone, he would have no power transfer, but still be able to shift.

To the OP: if you can start it in first gear and go, you're clutch isn't fried...or at least, not completely. You either have a hydraulic problem or something on the lines that I have mentioned already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode