Trektop - offroad Heros - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-27-2009, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Trektop - offroad Heros

Looking to buy a new soft top which one trektop or offroad heros likes - dislikes??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-27-2009, 05:39 AM
Rock God

Search for Offroad Heros top & you'll see that a lot of guys really love it... but you can't be in a hurry for it cause it could take a few months to get.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #3 of 27 Old 04-27-2009, 05:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

This one has been covered in depth here several times - do a search for trektop and you will see a few ORH vs trektop threads.

Here's a couple to get you started

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...hlight=trektop

I've had my ORH for over a year and it's still one of my favorite mods.
Only problem seems to be getting ahold of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 04-27-2009, 06:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatTreater View Post
Looking to buy a new soft top which one trektop or offroad heros likes - dislikes??
i just sold a trektop for 100 bones

im currently running a trektop and i love it and the price is right the ORH top is awesome just to spendy for me.....

www.jeepasylum.com
post #5 of 27 Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 AM
JKO Addict!

I bought the Trektop because of the lower price. If I were to do it again, I would get the ORH. The reason has nothing to do with quality or looks, as both tops are top quality and looks great. The reason I wish I had gone with the ORH is its ability to convert to a bikini top.

I love running topless. But if you're on the trail all day, you want a little protection from the sun.

FWIW- I have redneck-engineered a way (using some bunji cords) to convert my Trektop into a bikini. But definitely not as simple as the ORH converting to a bikini.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-27-2009, 10:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I bought the Trektop because of the lower price. If I were to do it again, I would get the ORH. The reason has nothing to do with quality or looks, as both tops are top quality and looks great. The reason I wish I had gone with the ORH is its ability to convert to a bikini top.
I love running topless. But if you're on the trail all day, you want a little protection from the sun.

FWIW- I have redneck-engineered a way (using some bunji cords) to convert my Trektop into a bikini. But definitely not as simple as the ORH converting to a bikini.

i agree with you 100% i love the differnt configurations of the ORH but the $$$ is just way to much

www.jeepasylum.com
post #7 of 27 Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Wheeler

I just wanted to chime in and let you know that the "long wait" for the JK top doesn't exist anymore. I emailed Ed at Offroad Heros last week and he said he has lots of JK tops in stock. I placed my order on his website on Sunday and it shipped Monday. I should have the top tomorrow. It takes about a week to get it as he is located in Canada and US Customs can be a pain. My top has been in Chicago waiting at the Intl Shipment Center for 4 days.

Ben
post #8 of 27 Old 04-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnben View Post
I just wanted to chime in and let you know that the "long wait" for the JK top doesn't exist anymore. I emailed Ed at Offroad Heros last week and he said he has lots of JK tops in stock. I placed my order on his website on Sunday and it shipped Monday. I should have the top tomorrow. It takes about a week to get it as he is located in Canada and US Customs can be a pain. My top has been in Chicago waiting at the Intl Shipment Center for 4 days.

Ben
That is certainly good news for those on the fence about getting one.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #9 of 27 Old 04-27-2009, 03:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Phil... what issue did you have with the ORH warranty?

I like the ORH for the same reason that has been stated - you can change it up easily. The weather changes here like crazy, the hard top is a PITA - the perfect answer for me is the ORH combo top. Simple to convert and simple to batten down the hatches (two terd floaters in two weeks with another one on the way tonight) when needed.

I dig it.
post #10 of 27 Old 04-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

im surprised to hear that they are in stock, i ordered a combo top for my unlimited rubicon on march 17th and still dont have it, i have sent countless emails and some of the time they reply and say it wil be sent out that day others they reply and say they are still working on it, it was 90 here this past weekend and i took my hardtop off hoping it would arrive before the rain came and nope, had to put my hard top back on. its sucks playing the waiting game but i dont want a trektop i really want the orh top
post #11 of 27 Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
im surprised to hear that they are in stock, i ordered a combo top for my unlimited rubicon on march 17th and still dont have it, i have sent countless emails and some of the time they reply and say it wil be sent out that day others they reply and say they are still working on it, it was 90 here this past weekend and i took my hardtop off hoping it would arrive before the rain came and nope, had to put my hard top back on. its sucks playing the waiting game but i dont want a trektop i really want the orh top
Seems like a common problem with ORH. But from the reviews im guessing the frustration and heart ache is worth it in the end.

www.jeepasylum.com
post #12 of 27 Old 04-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Granite Guru

The ORH looks like an awesome top, especially the combo one. I'll have to look into this if I run the soft top into the ground. I've been looking at options to line my hardtop, and this looks like the first one I found.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #13 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Rock God

When my factory soft top is worn out; I will weigh the options at that time, but if that were today the combo top would be the way I'd go.
post #14 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Rock God

If they were to resolve the wait time issues, and answer some emails, it would be a whole lot easier to order a ORH top...I certainly like it better, but the trektop is not bad either, it doesn't look like...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #15 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Rock God

I have checked with their dealers and decided it was just too much hit-or-miss for me. My money is hard to come by and, while their product may be great, I ordered the Bestop Trektop today after seeing Pete Bach's last week.

He has tested, demo'd, run it at Moab and has had no problems. Plus the Trektop is considerably cheaper. Mine comes in on Monday and as soon as I have a safe place in the garage for the hard top the Trektop goes on.

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #16 of 27 Old 04-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
Thats a bummer. I ordered the full top, not the combo, maybe that is the difference. I don't know. I know that Ed shipped my top the next business day after I paid. It is certainly worth noting that I still do not have the top as US Customs has detained it for some reason. I certainly can not blame that on Ed or ORH. I knew before I ordered that they were located in Canada. Its always a crap shoot with Customs. Good Luck!!

Ben
post #17 of 27 Old 05-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

im starting to get frustrated i just sent them another email last 3 haven't been answered, ill probably wait a few more days if i dont here from them i will have to call my credit card company and refuse the charge this is ridiculous its been over 6 weeks with at least half a dozed promises it will be out that day
post #18 of 27 Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Rock God

No reason to get frustrated brother. The company is known exactly for this. No or delayed response. No or delayed product. Unfulfilled delivery dates......... so (expecially if you've read all posts about the company) unless you are patient and the type willing to order and wait for protracted periods without update or product, order from someone who will actually provide your product. Frustration will only make your Friday look like Monday leading you into a Tuesday instead of a peaceful weekend.

Shalom

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #19 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Granite Guru

I installed the Trektop yesterday.
It poured last night. It has two leaks so far. Both at the header. The two screw clamps (header knob and plate) are not seated well. The header bar does not follow the contour of the windshield very well, so you have to start the knobs at an odd angle and really crank them down to force the header into place. This causes the small plates to spin at a not-quite-right angle. If it ever stops raining, I will take the header bar to the anvil and give it a bit of adjustment.

If you want to run without the rear window and with the top rolled back, you may as well take the whole top off. Pretty easy to configure by one person.

However... you do not want to try to put it on in cool weather. The instructions say "72 f. and up" That ain't no joke. This thing shrinks like wool in a dryer.

The material is good quality. The door surrounds are ample for the job with good welds. The window tint is good. Tons of high quality Velcro (makes for easy adjustment for a good fit).

Overall, I'm happy enough with it.
Just that header bar is bugging me and I may have to use some large washers instead of the angled header plates. I'll wait for it to warm up and set in before "tweeking" anything though.

Cheers,
Duffy
post #20 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Rock God

that is the first I have heard of the top leaking at that point, hope a trip to the anvil fixes it for you....so the top didn't collect water and sag under the load over the front seats? At least not much? That was one of the big complaints, as I recall, from when the trektop first came out...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #21 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Granite Guru

Some water pooled over the rear seat, not the front. The pool didn't leak through, but I will be getting a can of the 3M waterproofing when I get a chance.

I got the header to sif fairly flush. I just would like to "adjust" it so it is easier to install.

post #22 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 08:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Some water pooled over the rear seat, not the front. The pool didn't leak through, but I will be getting a can of the 3M waterproofing when I get a chance.

I got the header to sif fairly flush. I just would like to "adjust" it so it is easier to install.

you have the knob on wrong that may be causin your leak

www.jeepasylum.com
post #23 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
you have the knob on wrong that may be causin your leak
Yup, it's on wrong. That was the only way it would fit due to the curve of the header and having to crank it down. Once I give the header a better bend, it should fit like it is supposed to. That's why I'm not too concerned just yet. Otherwise I'm happy with the top.

Cheers,
Duffy
post #24 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Yup, it's on wrong. That was the only way it would fit due to the curve of the header and having to crank it down. Once I give the header a better bend, it should fit like it is supposed to. That's why I'm not too concerned just yet. Otherwise I'm happy with the top.

Cheers,
Duffy
got you

my trek top seal just fine

www.jeepasylum.com
post #25 of 27 Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 AM
JKO Addict!

no leaks from my header (Trektop). But I have really bad leak at the drivers door top seal. It then drips on to the door armrest and splashes onto the driver seat. A long enough rain and my seat is soaked. So I now hang a towel up between the door and the seat to prevent the seat from getting soaked.

And I'll 2nd that you have the plate on wrong- you have it upside down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode