Dual top leaking - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-26-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Freedom top leaking

Went to hop in my new 09 after the first time it rained outside only to find the center console full of water. I see a TSB on the 07 and 08's. Is there an updated gasket?

Last edited by v10sport; 04-26-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-26-2009, 05:37 PM

I think they do replace the gasket, however I will say that a lot of people have been to the dealership 7 or more times, because it doesn't fix it and or it gets worse. Best thing to check first is to make sure you have the panels lined up, and your latching order. Which is put your passanger panel on make sure its lined up and fitting properly, then latch both latches starting with the one on the front window. The Driver side panel install that, line it up and then latch the front middle that latches to the other panel, then the front window latch and your work your way around. Basicly start latching twards the front windshield and work your way around twards the doors, (depending which side your on) untill you finnaly get to the screws and screw both of those in last when both panels have been installed and latched.

ETA:Also make sure the gasket is nice and clean, a lot of people use a little spray on silicone grease.

Last edited by RabidUmpaLumpa; 04-26-2009 at 05:40 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-26-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks, I'll give that a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Granite Guru

Also check to make sure the gaskets are nice and clean. Just a wet towel helps keeps things clean, and will avoid any particles to allow a breach in the seal. You can also use some heavy duty silicone spray, which makes the seals more flexible. I usually wash my vehicle, dry, then use the after towels to wipe down the door seals, etc. Every couple of months, spray all seals with heavy duty silicone spray/wipe with micro fiber cloth. No leaks to date when using this method.
Another tip-don't over tighten the freedom tops at the rear. They will button down the rear too tight, and make the front portion prone to leaks.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top

Last edited by Mule'Con; 04-26-2009 at 07:02 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-27-2009, 05:46 PM

The "problem" with the weatherstrip is that it attaches to the rear hard top with two sided tape and if there are gaps in the adhesion to the hard top, water migrates under the seal and creates the leak. Same thing happens to the windshield header seal. It's very easy to check. Gently apply pressure as if you are peeling back the seal and check for the gaps under it. If there are gaps, all of the tape needs to be removed and cleaned before the new weatherstrip is applied. IT'S A PAIN IN THE NECK but necssary to ensure that there will be no more leaks.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Wheeler

The first heavy rain we had after I got my '09 I had a leak. I didn't realize it until the next few days when I would hear a sloshing sound. I found out the passenger panel filled up with water. Then I noticed a slow drip from where the passenger panel screw holder is at.

I noticed dirty fingerprints on the panel, so I figure a sales person may had demo'd it and didn't reseat it properly.

I took both panels off, drained the passenger side and let it dry out. Reseated both according the manual, and haven't had a problem since (hopefully it will stay that way).

2009 JK X 2dr
2011 Patriot FDII
post #7 of 8 Old 05-01-2009, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I removed the tops and reinstalled with the recommended tightening order. No more leaks! Thanks!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Granite Guru

had that same problem with water filling up the pass. panel. and every now and then have a little leak above console most of the time fixed easily by just reseating the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode