A challenge for those DIY'ers... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

A challenge for those DIY'ers...

(Admins, sorry if this is posted in the wrong category; feel free to move this thread if necessary)

So I can tell we have a few exercisers of the 2nd Amendment on this forum! Sitting in the car today I began to think about where I could safely carry a handgun that is out of sight yet still accessible (*disclaimer*, I am not trying to illegally conceal a weapon; just making it ummm, hidden safely so kids won't find it).

I was about to buy the padded center console arm rest off eBay last night when it dawned on me; why not turn a center console arm rest into a handgun carrier?!? It would serve two functional purposes; safely store and lock a weapon and also have some added padding on top to make my elbow a little less sore!

So it'd be a pretty simple project I'm assuming; except I'm not that handy to make it without messing up a couple times. Instead of taking it to a custom shop to have them build while they look at me like I'm crazy; I figured I'd shop it here first. If anyone thinks this is a cool idea and has the means to build one; I will not only buy one off you; but I have the means to mass manufacturer them based off a prototype should this mod gain interest.

Easiest way to explain it would be a box that sits atop the center console (or completely replaces the top lid). The top of the box has a thick padding so serve as an armrest (could probably make out of memory foam and neoprene). Inside this little 2"/3" tall box would be a slide out drawer (that slides out towards the dash)- big enough to fit a handgun with the clip removed. Add some sort of kitchen cabinet sliding bracket to slide the drawer out- the most practical thing would be to add a keyed lock for safety purposes; although it'd be cool if someone could do it James Bond-esque with a small pneumatic pump that would automatically slide the shelf out at the touch of a hidden button.

So come on all you "Pimp My Ride-ers", what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 01:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Lack of handgun storage areas is why I went with the tuffy replacement console.
Not stealth like what you're talking about but at least its steel, secure and on a different key than the jeep (think service, tire places, oil change, etc where you have to hand over your key)
I had a gun vault in my old truck and could NOT find a good place to put it in the JK.

I'll probably just mount a holster to the underside of my console lid, but your project will definitely be in the back of my mind

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 03:44 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the tuffy console insert for locking it up when I run into restricted carry areas.
As far as an accessible mount I have been looking at the molle door setups (I forget the thread and mfg.) It would be easy to add a molle holster to one for access.
Only problem for me is that im a lefty and drawing from the door to the drivers window(carjacking robbery) is awkward. As for the rightys out there it would be an odd draw (across body and down) under the same circumstaces.
Ultimately ive been looking at a fobus paddle mount and holster to place near the 4wd shift lever, and learning a right handed draw. I know I can shoot righty but never tried drawing righty.
As far as kids finding it. Lock it up. My niece and nephew have found everything there is to find in the jeep. They once asked me why when you pull up the carpets there are doors in the floor(drainplugs). If you have a carry permit, carry the gun, if you cant carry it, lock it up or leave it home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 03:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
As far as an accessible mount I have been looking at the molle door setups (I forget the thread and mfg.) It would be easy to add a molle holster to one for access.
Raingler makes them
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8534

Quote:
post #5 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 04:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
Thanks. I had been looking at the safari straps stuff earlier today so my brain couldnt remember two products at once.
There door stuff looks great and should fit better than the seat covers I got from another mfg. Even if no pistol is involved.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hawaii does not issue carry permits so as much as I'd just like to mount a holster somewhere and always ride with one in the chamber I don't want to take the risk.

Why I want to do the center console mod is because I can most likely get away with carrying one in the car all the time and if I ever do get pulled over (and searched) I can at least have it under lock and key which gives me an excuse to say I'm transporting it to/from a range or store.

Don't have kids so I'm not to worried about them getting to it. Don't want it exactly accessible either though; I figured something stealthy that still gives me the peace of mind.

Come on guys...I know you think its a good idea, now who is going to be the guinea pig?
post #7 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Granite Guru

What about the above the stereo tuffy box that covers a GPS unit? That would fit my Glock23. I have a problem with law enforcement taking my vehicle for an internal inspection. I have too many law enforcement family members to fool anybody. So my Glock & Kimber stay at home, or in my carryall when going camping/to the shooting range.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #8 of 17 Old 04-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL II RTL View Post
Hawaii does not issue carry permits so as much as I'd just like to mount a holster somewhere and always ride with one in the chamber I don't want to take the risk.

Why I want to do the center console mod is because I can most likely get away with carrying one in the car all the time and if I ever do get pulled over (and searched) I can at least have it under lock and key which gives me an excuse to say I'm transporting it to/from a range or store.

Don't have kids so I'm not to worried about them getting to it. Don't want it exactly accessible either though; I figured something stealthy that still gives me the peace of mind.

Come on guys...I know you think its a good idea, now who is going to be the guinea pig?
You can't carry or concealed carry in Hawaii?
post #9 of 17 Old 04-25-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Nope. Technically they can issue carry/conceal permits but they have to come direct from the chief of police. I have never heard of a person getting one though- even my military friends. There's a ton gun owners on the island that have been petitioning this for years but no luck so far- and with this current administration I doubt we're going to see any improvement.

For transportation they require that the gun be carried in the car out of hands reach, which means in the trunk, in a lock box with the clip removed. I figure since I'm going to take the top off the back completely and add a cargo net that kind of ruins my "trunk" so I could probably get around it storing it in the center console. It is still taking a risk but most cops are cool here and I doubt I'll run into much trouble.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 AM
Granite Guru

Sounds like a killer idea - when not carrying I keep mine in a locked gun box under the seat with a seperate key, cabled to my seat mounts. Pretty cheap, from cabelas for about 30 bucks...
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

I have thought about the center consol mount too. Just not as much as you.....I like the idea about the secret area on the consol. My problem is when the doors are off and I cannot carry on person. Then I am back to hiding under dash or locking in back compartment or something?

Has anyone tried those locking glove boxes? I know that the stock one is a joke and you could literally rip it our from the bottom up?
post #11 of 17 Old 04-26-2009, 02:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Heres a couple of other thoughts:

theres room inside the dash to the left of where the glove box "box" tilts into.
Open your glove box, flex the sides inward to get past the little retainer posts and tilt it farther forward and it will lift off, look back and to the left and theres a nice, med-large handgun sized slot there.
Just gotta figure out access.........

Also another spot for a James Bond slide out affair might be the dash itself.
On both sides, if you look at the bottom, theres a center panel about 3" tall by maybe 12" or 14" that looks like its part of the dash, its not.
It's a rubbery plastic panel that pops on/off on both sides with a fair amount of room behind it.
Could be a perfect "drawer front".

Something tiny like my KelTec PF9 9mm is less than 1" thick and still carries 8 rounds of 9mm hydrashock goodness, lots of little hidey hole possibilities for it

Just tossing out some ideas here.

Quote:
post #12 of 17 Old 04-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

I like the idea of using the console, but you might have to beef it up to keep someone from ripping it off the top since the console is just plastic, but it would give good access and I like the idea.

I've actually noticed that there is space on the dash on the right side under the steering wheel where a holster could mount. It doesn't affect my legs, so it would be a good spot to be able to reach a weapon quickly, problem is whether it would be considered "concealed". You wouldn't be able to see it unless you were looking real close, but its not covered.

I was thinking of having something made similar to my cross breed super tuck holster (custom kydex mounted to leather) and screwing it directly to the dash in that area to the right under the steering wheel. Actually wouldn't need to be on leather if you wanted to screw the kydex directly to the dash, but the leather would keep you from scrathing up the dash when holstering and un-holstering.

This would not be a solution for locking it up though.

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
post #13 of 17 Old 04-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Wheeler

i was going to say this until i noticed you live in HA...

Quote:
the best place to carry your handgun when you leave the jeep is ON YOU. get a permit if ya need one.

the best place to have a handgun when you are in the jeep is laying on the passenger seat.
now that i've noticed, my advice to you is to move. no, i'm not kidding. the choice to embrace your unalienable right should not be compromised.

i know you said you aren't trying to illegally conceal a weapon, but know that the fuzz won't see it that way if it's discovered. also know that none of the suggestions here are useful in the least for self defense, if that's your goal.

Last edited by phaed; 04-26-2009 at 08:21 PM.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
Heres a couple of other thoughts:

theres room inside the dash to the left of where the glove box "box" tilts into.
Open your glove box, flex the sides inward to get past the little retainer posts and tilt it farther forward and it will lift off, look back and to the left and theres a nice, med-large handgun sized slot there.
Just gotta figure out access.........

Also another spot for a James Bond slide out affair might be the dash itself.
On both sides, if you look at the bottom, theres a center panel about 3" tall by maybe 12" or 14" that looks like its part of the dash, its not.
It's a rubbery plastic panel that pops on/off on both sides with a fair amount of room behind it.
Could be a perfect "drawer front".

Like both ideas here...how can we make this happen. I do not have the skills to make something like this look good after. With my luck I would just end up with wholes in my dash....lol..
post #15 of 17 Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Another guy on these boards from Hawaii is helping me draft up some ideas for the center console slide out. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll let you know if we've made any progress.

I do like the idea of a drawer in the dash. Can anyone provide pictures of the spot you're referring to? I plan on gutting my interior soon anyways so maybe I'll fool around with options for a dash drawer.

By the way; back home in NY where I'm from this would be a common mod that many shops would do. If anyone on here works in law enforcement I'm sure they're familiar with all the hidden drug compartments that can me modded into almost any car. Most of them are operated using electromagnets and pneumatic pumps and I've seen some some pretty cool ones; push a sequence of buttons on either the radio knobs or odometer resets and a secret compartment slides out of an airbag or underneath the dash; completely undetected!
post #16 of 17 Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I do like the idea of a drawer in the dash. Can anyone provide pictures of the spot you're referring to? I plan on gutting my interior soon anyways so maybe I'll fool around with options for a dash drawer.
!
I can get you a pic of the area later, but if you go to the center of either side of the dash, under the steering wheel or under the glove box, theres on wide panel, reach under the edge of the dash and push on it, it feels rubbery and it will pop right off towards the front

Quote:
post #17 of 17 Old 04-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Another guy on these boards from Hawaii is helping me draft up some ideas for the center console slide out. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll let you know if we've made any progress.

By the way; back home in NY where I'm from this would be a common mod that many shops would do. If anyone on here works in law enforcement I'm sure they're familiar with all the hidden drug compartments that can me modded into almost any car. Most of them are operated using electromagnets and pneumatic pumps and I've seen some some pretty cool ones; push a sequence of buttons on either the radio knobs or odometer resets and a secret compartment slides out of an airbag or underneath the dash; completely undetected!
Please keep us in the loop......maybe there is a place in TX that would do the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode