some advise - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-24-2009, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

some advise

Just wanted some advise about some good yet affordable mods that someone that is on a limited budget can do yet still good for everyday use. Everything and anything would be good from power to lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-24-2009, 06:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchmelo View Post
Just wanted some advise about some good yet affordable mods that someone that is on a limited budget can do yet still good for everyday use. Everything and anything would be good from power to lift.

You're opening a big can there buddy....too many things to list

Check out the for sale section and see if you can find something used or look at one of our vendors that we have.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Granite Guru

Spend $20 on a roll of 5/16 fuel line hose at the auto parts store and another $7 on 2 new axle vents (PN J5352955) at the dealer. Extend your front and rear axle vents and transmission and transfer case vents. The trans and t-case vents are a PITA to get to. Just use the 2 new vents for those with the new hose. The axle vents can be reused on the new hose.

I terminated my 3 front vents up as high on the firewall as I could, and the rear vent is up as high as I could in the body cavity in front of the taillight.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to orcusomega

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchmelo View Post
Well, I will be the first to bite - so here goes.

First, here are street-friendly mods I have done (or are in the process of doing) to mine to make it easier/more comfortable/more convenient for everyday purposes:
  1. Daystar dashboard holder - replaces the tray over the radio to give you little storage space there.
  2. Grab handles - makes it easier for my short girlfriend and my kids to get into and out of the Jeep - also handy to tie things down with (general stability - not load bearing)
  3. Gadgets - I am a gadget guy, so I am installing three power bulkheads in the firewall to safely run hot, switched, and ground from the battery/engine compartment. This way I can wire up toys SAFELY
  4. Power Inverter - did I mention I liked gadgets?

As for the street stuff, when I start building mine for the trail, this is what I am planning on doing, based on past experience with my YJ and TJ:
  1. Lift Kit - this is almost a religion-like conversation. Cost is always an issue here, but you get what you pay for. I am saving my pennies for the RE 3.5" extreme kit - long arm, radius arm, VERY flexy, GREAT ride - but expensive - $2500-$3000. Does not include driveshafts either.
  2. If you want to start wheeling NOW on your budget, ARMOR should be your #1 priority. You can do a lot low, but you are likely to rip something. Start with oil pan, gas tank, muffler armor, and go from there.
  3. Bumpers - again, a religion in itself - personal opinion: get one that is solid, but doesnt hurt your approach or departure angles. I personally like ARB, but that's personal preference.
  4. Wheels - I would go with basic black rims - they are cheap and if you tear them up, who cares. Steer away from bling at all costs
  5. Tires: Go for an all-around good tire, on and off road. The Swamper TSL Radials are good if you do a good amount of wheeling, but there are tons of different options.

If you boil everything down, here are the NUMBER ONE AND TWO lessons -
--- DO NOT SKIMP --- It is better to wait and do it RIGHT ONCE than spend twice the time and money re-doing it because you got cheap junk.
--- SHOP AROUND --- I like 10 miles from a Quadratec warehouse, so they get almost all my business - but they are not always the cheapest. Find the guy who IS, and they will match it. If you can, stay with one supplier, history goes a long way if down the road there are issues or you need help.

Hope this helps!

Bob
post #5 of 5 Old 04-24-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

great idea i will def do that! any1 got anything else........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode