Best/most affordable 7" aux lights? Any thoughts on LEDs? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-23-2009, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Best/most affordable 7" aux lights? Any thoughts on LEDs?

So considering buying a bunch of 7" offroad lights w/cages. Although I still haven't decided on a roof mount yet; I plan to mount 4 on the roof, 2 on the windshield and 2 on the back.

Honestly I probably will hardly ever use them, but I figure what the heck. I know PIAA's and most other are expensive, so I'm ideally looking for an affordable solution.

I found some good LED ones I'm still waiting on pricing for; wanted to know if anyone has experience with LEDs w/built in ballasts or if there are any other entry level aux lights I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-23-2009, 12:41 PM
JKO Addict!

All of the LEDs that are worth a damn a pretty expensive, but then again you wouldn't need all the lights you want with them either because they are bright.

Hella 500s are cheap and pretty bright. Look on Amazon.com and you can get a pair for about 40 bucks.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-23-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I think I'm actually going to have a manufacturer build me some custom ones....going to use this housing I think, but black out the "Jeep" letters and replace the halogen with LEDs
http://www.aodic.com/Products_View.asp?ID=1342

Anyone interested in a group buy? Should be able to get em for around $50 per light...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-23-2009, 12:48 PM
JKO Addict!

If you do, please let us know how they work.

I an not certain, but I think LEDs require a completely different reflector so I don't know if it's as easy as just swapping the halagen bulb for LEDs.

Here is an examble of good LED lights.
http://www.visionxoffroad.com/
post #5 of 11 Old 04-23-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yea they need a reflector + ballast...they company makes existing LED aux lights but they all have crappy fascias/protectors so I'm just having them add this nice looking "Jeep" one to it.

Still trying to negotiate prices with them; if I got a few of you on here interested in them I'm sure we'd be able to get a good deal.

Just curious; what do typical 7" LEDs retail for on the market?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-23-2009, 12:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL II RTL View Post
Just curious; what do typical 7" LEDs retail for on the market?
The only LEDs I'm familiar with that are decent are the xmitters, but DAMN they're expensive!
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...-1-c-1219.html

$600 PER LIGHT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-23-2009, 01:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
The only LEDs I'm familiar with that are decent are the xmitters, but DAMN they're expensive!
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...-1-c-1219.html

$600 PER LIGHT!
do you get a jar of vasline with it

www.jeepasylum.com
post #8 of 11 Old 04-23-2009, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

$600 per light? Thats insane! If I'm able to offer something comparable for less than $100 do you think a lot of people will be interested in it?

By the way, has anyone installed strobe lights/sirens in their headlight housings? I'm looking at putting strobes in my headlights- no real reason, only cause I can pick them up for literally next to nothing.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-23-2009, 01:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I have strobes in my tails and in my front turn signals - I couldn't do my headlights because I have Deltas and they are glass so I made little housings and put them in the top corners of the outer grill slots.

Great for helping dad move heavy equipment or if I have to park in a sketchy spot by a road while geocaching or when I help out the sheriff's dept.

The trick with the xmitter lights is that they use 10 watt leds, I havent seen more than a 3 watt available in bulk at a decent price.
The thing about leds is that most don't need much of a reflector at all, the led 'bulb' itself will focus most of the light forward anyway.
Look at the xmitter bars and at the round one, hardly any reflector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Rock God

Eagle Eye Lights are pretty affordable and are available in either halogen or HID. Check them out here: Eagle Eye Lights

James

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #11 of 11 Old 04-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I have strobes in my tails and in my front turn signals - I couldn't do my headlights because I have Deltas and they are glass so I made little housings and put them in the top corners of the outer grill slots.

Great for helping dad move heavy equipment or if I have to park in a sketchy spot by a road while geocaching or when I help out the sheriff's dept.

The trick with the xmitter lights is that they use 10 watt leds, I havent seen more than a 3 watt available in bulk at a decent price.
The thing about leds is that most don't need much of a reflector at all, the led 'bulb' itself will focus most of the light forward anyway.
Look at the xmitter bars and at the round one, hardly any reflector.
The VisionX LEDs put out a lot of light for the little draw they pull! Very impressive.

If you are rarely going to use the lights I would stick with Halogen. They offer the biggest bang for your buck.

James

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode