Let's talk towing...again!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Question Let's talk towing...again!!

This pictures has been driving me nuts.

An Unlimited with tow package is supposed to be a 3,500lb max towing capacity.

Here is what I see in the picture.

-Early CJ5 with a curb weight of about 2,300lbs.
-Flat bed trailer, I see published weights of 1,300 to 2,000 lbs for these. Can anyone identify this specific trailer?

Based on these weights this Jeep is VERY VERY close or over the max towing weight.

-It is also a Sahara(assuming with tow package) so we know it must have 3:73s and not Rubicon 4:10s(or early X).

What do we think the week link is in our towing capacity.

-I know it is not the axles. I have seen normal D44 equiped pickups with much higher tow ratings. The JK D44s are MUCH bigger in nearly every way internally than previous D44s. Moving closer to D60 than old D44s (gears, shafts, bearings, pinion size, ring gear bolt size etc)

I have an old (91 ish) Chevy 1 ton Crew Cab here. It has an 8" thick frame at the thickest point, unboxed (c-channel). The JK is around 6" thick and fully boxed. All the old 3/4 ton Chevys were 6" C-channel. (I have been splicing a couple of old chevys the last couple of years and spent some time with the frames, JK seems WAY stonger than these old trucks).

-Obviously there is the power output of the motor......but there are other similar powered SUVs with much higher tow ratings.

-Trans? Too weak?

-Is it just the squirmy-ness (new word) of the rear coils? (this looks like the #1 weak spot to me).

Thoughts?

(I have been thinking obout this a lot lately. I may have to go rescue a Porsche a long way a way and my truck won't be ready for it. I was trying to figure out if I could "get a way with" one, 800 mile tow with a 2,800lb car on a trailer. (35s, 17" wheels, 5:13s, Auto, tow package)

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-20-2009, 10:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

The main issue is actually suspension- the low spring rates the Chrysler engineers went with to give a great on/off road ride and more articulation end up drooping pretty hard under towing loads. If you upgrade your shocks + springs, you should be in decent shape. Next up is power- the 3.8 is fairly gutless, so long grades may cause over-heating issues, perhaps? Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #3 of 14 Old 04-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Granite Guru

I wouldn't hesitate to tow a 914 or a 911 that far, a Cayenne might be another question. Even so.....

A dual axle car hauler with a decent brake setup and a properly adjusted load to manage the tongue weight would be just as important, if not more so, than the weight being hauled.

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

well it could be a fiberglass body on the cj thta would take a few pounds off

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #5 of 14 Old 04-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Wheeler

I have a evolution e2 tent trailer that has a dry wait of 2600 lbs I put around 500 lbs of water and gear in it then I put a 2009 can am outlander 800 2 seater quad on the front that has a dry whait of 700 lbs and It tows great I do have a whait distrabuton hitch and trailer brackes that makes the jk perficly level when atatched I also had the stock hitch welded to the fram to help I don't have any pics yet but I am taking the set up to the jko event in CA. So ill get some pics

07 4door X 37" km2 tire's, 17/8 alied beadlocks rock hard sports cage, shrockworks rock sliders, custom made front stubby out of 1/4" steel, woods evap canister relocate kit, bank's exost warn XD9000I, 12" kicker subs with mbquartz Q series mids and highs, midland cb, staun air deflaters, viar 400P, and many more to come.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-20-2009, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

944 turbo

post #7 of 14 Old 04-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Alec W

What about using a dolly instead of a flatbed?
post #8 of 14 Old 04-20-2009, 11:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Ooh- the 944 turbo's are FUN track sluts- me gusta mucho That makes me back a few years to a red 5-speed I played with for a few months Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #9 of 14 Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
What about using a dolly instead of a flatbed?
I have been trying to find one for a reasonable price to rent.

post #10 of 14 Old 04-21-2009, 05:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It's a doctored photo. It is the same pic as the '07 brochure which had the 4.10's with the tow package. I too think itís because of the springs. It will also have to do with the weight and length of the vehicle. I had a reg cab '04 F150 with 5.4 and the tow package. It was rated at 8200lbs but if I bought the long bed or the extended cab it would pull 9500lbs. The drivetrain was the same as the 3/4ton which was rated even higher. You can pick up one of those fancy weight distributing hitches and gain a little more capacity but I don't know if itís legal on a class 2 hitch.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Granite Guru

There was some discussions over on the Jeep Forum with groups of Jeep Engineers. One of the relevant posts is here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...69#post4744669

Well, many factors play into our rating for towing capacity. The engine size is different, cooling within the engine campartment is different, brakes, etc. Take a look at what the owners manual says in the towing section. The total weight of the loaded vehicle is a very important factor as well as aerodynamics. I guess the bottom line is that is what the total package can safely tow.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #12 of 14 Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Interesting, thanks.

post #13 of 14 Old 04-27-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Tow report.

I towed the 951 all the way back from Flagstaff, AZ to Denver, CO (roughly 800 miles, and had to tow the dolly down there to pick it up). JK would hold cruise control at 65mph in OD 95% of the time, only downshifting to climb some hills(not all).

Got 18mpg doing it too!!?? Which is better than I usually get, maybe I need to tow a Porsche around all the time.

Slowest section was Raton pass at 60 mph.

post #14 of 14 Old 04-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Granite Guru

That is weird, I've towed 4600 lbs a few times (flat bed) and I average 10 to a best of 13 mpg. I think your load is unfairly aerodynamic for a fair test.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

866.905.ROCK(7625)
Strap Down Yer Junk !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode