what should i get to get the most juice out of the 3.8? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

what should i get to get the most juice out of the 3.8?

I'm looking to ad some performance to my stock JK engine. as far as im aware of with my extremly limited knowledge of wranglers. the only three ways to increase horsepower is to add
1. programmer/chip
2.exhaust
3. air intake.

my question is what makes and models of each of those 3 and you all like. and how much HP am i realistically going to add to my engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

MBRP exhaust has a documented 9hp increase.

I would NOT do a CAI if your going to wheel it. Get a drop in airfilter replacement, you will get more power and better MPG

A chip or programmer is the way to add power. Even on the regular gas settings.
(Either superchip or hypertech) AEV is only for tires/ gears and NOT for power.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Granite Guru

Why not do the CAI? There are a few good looking sealed ones like the Volant and the S&B. I understand the issues with swamping to engine, and if you plan to wheel in water, the get a snorkel. Some of us live where there just is not any water we can legally drive through and dust is the main concern.
The stock air box has a smaller hole than a stock 700cc V-twin. Yes, more availible air will do nothing with out more fuel, but with a CAI and the right mapping in the chip, you will get more power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Rock God

get the ripp supercharger

performance mods: 3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm lift, ProComp MX-6 shocks, 35 x 12.50 Super Swamper SSRs, 17x8.5" Procomp 9001s in Knight Chrome with 4.5" backspace, Bulldog Fab rear bumper with tire carrier, Smittybilt XRC front bumper, cooltech muffler relocate

appearance mods: budget grille mod, painted A/C rings, made side markers into blinkers, removed "Jeep" front bling.
post #5 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Rock God

lol put it on a pallet and buy a hemi like we should have gotten from Jeep hehehe.
post #6 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

this is gonna sound dumb but does a snorkel replace the need for a CAI>?
post #7 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Rock God

all those are pretty much a waste. Any gains seen in most of these are above the 4k RPMs mark so unless you plan drive around at 4-5,000 RPMs spend your money on the gears for those 37's

O and don't get suckered into the "when I installed X exhaust I could feel the difference." Yeah when I was in highschool I swore my car was faster after an oil change and car wash too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #8 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
all those are pretty much a waste. Any gains seen in most of these are above the 4k RPMs mark so unless you plan drive around at 4-5,000 RPMs spend your money on the gears for those 37's

O and don't get suckered into the "when I installed X exhaust I could feel the difference." Yeah when I was in highschool I swore my car was faster after an oil change and car wash too
Bingo...
post #9 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Openly Hostile

Exhaust and a CAI do one thing, they make you sound faster!

Jason
post #10 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Exhaust and a CAI do one thing, they make you sound faster!
plus one other thing... a new exhaust will get that giant beer barrel of a muffler out from under your rig and buy you a little more clearance!
post #11 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJK View Post
Why not do the CAI? There are a few good looking sealed ones like the Volant and the S&B. I understand the issues with swamping to engine, and if you plan to wheel in water, the get a snorkel. Some of us live where there just is not any water we can legally drive through and dust is the main concern.
The stock air box has a smaller hole than a stock 700cc V-twin. Yes, more availible air will do nothing with out more fuel, but with a CAI and the right mapping in the chip, you will get more power.
You are right, I thought I clarified wheeling in water... but alas..I didn't.

I live in Florida so everything is mud and water to me....LOL

The MBRP exhaust does document an increase in overall HP from 1800 RPM as I recall.

And I agree with gears being the first thing.. I missed that, even though I did this when I put my 37's on.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #12 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Wheeler

From what i hear, the 3.8 is pretty much at its peak performance right now, so most mods dont make much of an improvement save for a supercharger. Whereas if you could afford to swap a hemi into it, you're starting with a base to build on. Also, you can make your own CAI for your JK for about 70 bucks.
post #13 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 08:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Freeing up the intake and exhaust does help,but not major HP gains.Definately helps with the mpg,at least in my case.You don't need to spend stupid money on exhaust mods either.A simple glass pak,flowmaster 40,magnaflow etc will do the same job as the arm and a leg mbrp system.It's just a catback,it ain't tuned like headers.If your really looking to run 37's,then you really need gears first.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #14 of 38 Old 04-15-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

sounds good i think i'll go with the consensus and buy gears so i can run 35"s or 37"s. and then maybe in the long run i'll screw around with engine preformance.
post #15 of 38 Old 04-16-2009, 05:13 AM
Rock God

Well when I put my River Raider Snorkel on My MPG went up.. Plus I have a few other mods that gave me more on top of that. See my Sig

Changed to MPG!!!

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.

Last edited by mrsig; 04-16-2009 at 07:14 AM.
post #16 of 38 Old 04-16-2009, 05:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsig View Post
Well when I put my River Raider Snorkel on My GPM went up.. Plus I have a few other mods that gave me more on top of that. See my Sig

GPM? You mean you're using Gallons Per Mile? It's not a Hummer!

From what I can tell you, MOST of the catbacks will give you a few horsepower UP TOP, and maybe a couple in the midrange. But this isn't a Honda, where revs=go. This is a JEEP, where torque is king. Backpressure (up to a point) shifts the power band to lower RPM's, adding torque. Our cars have fairly minimal backpressure (for an OEM setup), and reducing what little is to be had with larger diameter exhaust will kill what little backpressure is to be had, thus why the 3.8 with the bigger exhausts sounds like a Honda with a 5" fart can out the back- there's no backpressure!
This is why most people go with just a Flowmaster or other muffler- they reduce backpressure a MINIMAL amount, get rid of that monster OEM muffler, and add a deep sound because you still have backpressure.
Having built race and high-performance engines for years now, I can tell you- virgins brag about horsepower- pros brag about torque Unless you're turning your JK into a NASCAR "stocker," brag about how you improved your torque curve via engine tuning.

Best results I've seen from the 3.8 in terms of a solid on/off roader are from a Mopar/K&N drop-in, a muffler, and a Superchips/Hypertech programmer. Other than that, bump for a Hemi- Mark W.
post #17 of 38 Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
GPM? You mean you're using Gallons Per Mile? It's not a Hummer!

From what I can tell you, MOST of the catbacks will give you a few horsepower UP TOP, and maybe a couple in the midrange. But this isn't a Honda, where revs=go. This is a JEEP, where torque is king. Backpressure (up to a point) shifts the power band to lower RPM's, adding torque. Our cars have fairly minimal backpressure (for an OEM setup), and reducing what little is to be had with larger diameter exhaust will kill what little backpressure is to be had, thus why the 3.8 with the bigger exhausts sounds like a Honda with a 5" fart can out the back- there's no backpressure!
This is why most people go with just a Flowmaster or other muffler- they reduce backpressure a MINIMAL amount, get rid of that monster OEM muffler, and add a deep sound because you still have backpressure.
Having built race and high-performance engines for years now, I can tell you- virgins brag about horsepower- pros brag about torque Unless you're turning your JK into a NASCAR "stocker," brag about how you improved your torque curve via engine tuning.

Best results I've seen from the 3.8 in terms of a solid on/off roader are from a Mopar/K&N drop-in, a muffler, and a Superchips/Hypertech programmer. Other than that, bump for a Hemi- Mark W.
I totally agree,especially about the exhaust hype.The outfits trying to sell you 4 or 500 dollar exhaust systems for "big hp gains are full of crap.Even if they dyno proved it,it's done at top rpms,which you'll never see.Keep It Simple and enjoy

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #18 of 38 Old 04-16-2009, 07:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah Hemi.
post #19 of 38 Old 04-16-2009, 07:38 AM
JR
Rock God

Blower or Hemi...

Jason from RJR Off-Road

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #20 of 38 Old 04-16-2009, 09:14 AM
JKO Addict!

^ I'm not sold on the blower for a couple reasons.
1. Is heat. The JK underhood area gets pretty darn toasty as it is due to a relatively lean-burning enine. While the chip included with the kit would remedy some of the lean-burn issues, the blower itself creates a lot of heat, as does the increased boosted compression (not to be confused with compression ratio- this is that, plus the pressure of the forced air).
2. Is cost. For not much more (relatively), you get a garuanteed, known entity. The 5.7 Hemi is dead-reliable, stock (assuming you leave it that way), and thus built in a way that Chrysler is comfortable giving it a LIFETIME warranty. The supercharger's warranty only covers the kit itself, and says nothing about how well the engine itself will hold up. While Chrysler obviously won't warranty the Hemi you put in your JK, it is garuanteed to last for years as long as you don't mess with it too much.
3. A report I read from Mopar a few years ago about their efforts to make a turbo 3.3/3.8 setup. I remember distinctly the phrase "came apart under even mild boost." Now, the newer 3.8 is somewhat stouter than the 3.3, BUT it is still the same basic architecture. I know that to an engine builder/engineer, "mild" boost is under 14.7 PSI of boost. I can't remember seeing what the blower kit pushes, but it is likely 5-9 PSI on most setups. I know that supercharger boost is quite different from turbo boost, but the problem lay in the rods, which take up a lot of the pressure of combustion, which is increased massively under ANY kind of boost.
While this is not THAT much, it is enough for me to question longevity. I simply won't be able to reccommend something as (relatively) untested as the supercharger kits until I see 100k mile+ individual vehicles with no major problems becoming the norm.

I am in NO way associated with RIPP, and have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone who brings a new and (by what I've seen and heard) high-quality product to the market. As a professional, I simply tend to stick to known quantities on street vehicles. On race cars, I run prototype and one-off pieces all the time, but for a daily driver, I just can't reccommend aftermarket super- or turbocharger kits, especially relatively new ones.
No hard feelings fellas- there's always beer in my garage for you guys at RIPP Mark W.

Last edited by thaduke2003; 04-16-2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Typo
post #21 of 38 Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Rock God

I've encouraged Ross @ RIPP to get on here, so hopefully you'll see him on here soon to support as a vendor and cure some of what I believe to be common misconceptions about the supercharger on the 3.8L

I no longer work with Warrior. I am now working with The FIRM.
post #22 of 38 Old 04-16-2009, 10:27 AM
JKO Addict!

What I said isn't based on any misconception. I know NOTHING about the specifics of the kit. What I DO know is supercharger systems in general, and the inherent characteristics of boost, superchargers, and engines. I also know what I read in a Mopar engineering report on boosting the 3.8 V6. I'll try and find it, but I read it at a Chrysler dealership years ago, so no promises.
My comments were MY personal feelings and thoughts. I put my name behind every vehicle I've ever built- I etch my name into the intake manifold or valve cover of every engine I've ever built or modified enough to earn my garuantee.
I know there are countless people running boost in daily drivers on 3.8L and other less-than-stellar perfoming engines. That's their choice. My feeling on the subject remains the same- it's simply not worth trying to get big-number performance out of non-performance engines. Stick to the basics, or swap it. The less you mess with, the less that'll go wrong. Mark W.
post #23 of 38 Old 04-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Reliability is a great subject because every single person needs their builds irrefutably safe in every aspect.

In 2007 We began testing our JK 3.8L equipped with a RIPP supercharger running 10psi for 40,000 miles before releasing the kit to the market. Before selling we pulled the motor, checked internals only to find all cylinder walls, pistons, rings, rods bearings, and cylinder head to be in PERFECT condition and with-in spec. That same motor was reassembled with its original components and driven another 15k miles before recently driving across the country to Utah (for the EJS in MOAB) 2,800 miles straight. Mind you the owner behind the wheel (RIPP engineer) has a right foot made of lead. There is video of him traveling up hill @ 5,000 RPM's boosting for 20 min straight ( it's quite amusing). We hit MOAB for a week for EJS.. rock climbing, and racing it around all week. Turned around and drove her home another 2800 miles with out braking a sweat.

We have an easy 60,000 miles logged on just one of our JK's. On top of real world testing we also spent countless hours on our AWD Dyno logging air/fuel ratios, exhaust gas temps, knock counts, ignition and injection times. With all the data gathered we have developed a "Bolt-on" supercharger that not only installs in 6-8 hours and adds a 100HP (starting at 2500rpm's) but is also proven to be as reliable as your stock motor.
post #24 of 38 Old 04-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Rock God

Heh, looks like you were already here!

I no longer work with Warrior. I am now working with The FIRM.
post #25 of 38 Old 04-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Granite Guru

RIPPMODS,
Can you post any engine pics of how a snorkel would mount up to your system? I noticed there is one shot where the silver Jeep looks like it has the River Raider snorkel.

Never mind, found it on your site:
http://www.rippmods.com/v/vspfiles/p...k-snrkab-6.jpg

2013 Billet Silver Rubicon Unlimited
2009 Sunburst Orange Rubicon Unlimited - SOLD

Last edited by gossamer; 04-17-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode