First big mod on my stock-ish JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-14-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

First big mod on my stock-ish JK

hey all i'm a newbie to the scene of off-roading just got my JK a few months ago and im looking at adding my first big mod.
other than some basic accessories and some added storage my 07, JK is still stock. within the next month im gonna buy a 4" rough country LK and a set of 35"s my two questions are: What are bad-ass loooking 35s that can go on and off-road . i wont be doing any crawling but i'm looking at doin some light trails, some wet roads, and maybe some sand. i was thinking of the Dick Cepek crushers? are those any good? my other question was if i'm gonna run 35"s will i need to get new gears? or can i run with my stock gears? finally is it even possible to run 37"s with a 4" LK and stock gears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-14-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

oh and if i were to get new gears how much $$$ would i be looking at for parts and installation?
post #3 of 14 Old 04-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

what is your stock gearing and what transmision?

Welcome to the forum!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-14-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

um this is gonna sound retarded but how would i find out what my stock gears are? i'm running a 6 speed man trans. on a 2dr 07 JK x package
post #5 of 14 Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Granite Guru

You probably have 3:73 gears. There will be a sticker on the cover you can look at. You should probably re-gear if you are gonna go with 35's. I am running 33's and If i went to 35's, I would def re gear. Would be a good deal if you can find some take off 4:10 gears from someone that has a Rubi. Honestly though, you are probably gonna want to go higher ratio. Not cheap to regear. You will just have to try out your local shops.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Rock God

in 07 I think the 2 options were 3.21 and 4.10 on the X right? I know if you had auto/tow package you got 4.10's (my X was 4.10). You can always email Jeep with your vin and they can give you a detail of everything on your Jeep. It might be on your window sticker... maybe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #7 of 14 Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. and is it possible to run 37"s on a 4" lift and 4:10 gears????
post #8 of 14 Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Rock God

anything is possible, but the way my "gitty up" dropped going to 35's with 4:10s I can only imagine what 37's would be like.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #9 of 14 Old 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army green 07 JK HOOAH View Post
thanks for the info. and is it possible to run 37"s on a 4" lift and 4:10 gears????
Yes, it's fine to run this combo if you live in a totally flat area. When I first got my lift and tires, my gears were on back order and I had to drive for 3 weeks with 4.10s and 37s. Around town it was ok, but going up any kind of incline it was miserable. Now, I've got an auto, so you'll at least be able to select what gear you want, but you definitely won't be staying in 6th on anything that's not perfectly flat.

Regearing, parts and labor is usually in the $1200 to $1500 range. Well worth the dollars if you're going to run 37s. And far more worthwhile than the performance mods you mentioned in your other thread, if you've got to pick between mods.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-15-2009, 05:12 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
Yes, it's fine to run this combo if you live in a totally flat area.
Even then it's pushing it. I live in a totally flat area, the steepest hills around here are the on-ramps on the freeway, and while 4.10's with 37's is not that bad, at least after reprogramming, you'll soon get fed up with not being able to hold top gear with a head wind. Now if you do mainly around town driving you would be okay, if you do a lot of highway, spring for the gears. Of course you could always run the 4.10s, and do the gears later.

The KM2 is an excellent off-road tire and very well mannered on-road too. I've just switched to MT/R's with Kevlar, which are good on-road, although not quite as smooth as the KM2s, as to off-road I'll find out in a couple of weeks, but I'm expecting good things. Both do well in the sand for an MT, but there are better sand tires.

Crushers are supposed to excel in the sand, okay in mud, not so good on rocks due to lack of sidewall flex, and are noisy on-road.

You may want to look at some of aggressive AT tires out there, which will fair better on sand and in wet conditions.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-15-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

great insight guys. thnx
post #12 of 14 Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Even then it's pushing it. I live in a totally flat area, the steepest hills around here are the on-ramps on the freeway, and while 4.10's with 37's is not that bad, at least after reprogramming, you'll soon get fed up with not being able to hold top gear with a head wind. Now if you do mainly around town driving you would be okay, if you do a lot of highway, spring for the gears. Of course you could always run the 4.10s, and do the gears later.

The KM2 is an excellent off-road tire and very well mannered on-road too. I've just switched to MT/R's with Kevlar, which are good on-road, although not quite as smooth as the KM2s, as to off-road I'll find out in a couple of weeks, but I'm expecting good things. Both do well in the sand for an MT, but there are better sand tires.

Crushers are supposed to excel in the sand, okay in mud, not so good on rocks due to lack of sidewall flex, and are noisy on-road.

You may want to look at some of aggressive AT tires out there, which will fair better on sand and in wet conditions.
You're absolutely correct, I completely avoided highways after my first attempt to get up to and stay up to speed until I got my 5.13s.

As far as All Terrain tires go, I really liked my Nitto Terra Grapplers, and I'm currently happy with my BFG AT KOs. The BFGs, arent' real good in mud, but they're great in every other condition I've encountered.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-15-2009, 07:59 PM
lbh
Rock God

I keep hearing guys say "buy a set of Rubi 4:10s" to throw in, but correctme if I am wrong, these wont work due to the d30 on the non rubicon models. I had a set of 4:10s front a rear and could not sell them for 20 buck, I took them to the scrap yard!! I guess you could buy a rear set to save.

2007 JK
post #14 of 14 Old 04-16-2009, 04:26 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbh View Post
I keep hearing guys say "buy a set of Rubi 4:10s" to throw in, but correctme if I am wrong, these wont work due to the d30 on the non rubicon models.
Correct.

Quote:
I had a set of 4:10s front a rear and could not sell them for 20 buck, I took them to the scrap yard!! I guess you could buy a rear set to save.
Did the same with mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode