Will this hemi work? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Will this hemi work?

Newbie on here. Decided about two months ago to put a hemi in my 07 rubicon unlimited. AEV told me to get 08-09 GC or Commander. Have not had any luck thus far. I read somewhere you could use an LX engine out of a charger or C300. I know some have did it just can't get a straight answer as to what has to be changed or what is different between LX and WK. I was told by AEV that a bunch of sensors and stuff would have to be changed if I went earlier that 08 on the GC or commander. They said its easier if you avoid anything below 07. I found a great deal locally on a 2012 charger engine out of a totaled police car. Tranny may not work I realize(has a broken tail shaft anyway)but will the engine? If so, what is going to have to be changed that would not on the 08-09 GC/commander. I'm not the greatest mechanic(I do toy around some) so I dont wont to start swapping a bunch of stuff. I have had no luck from AEV in the past week getting a reply via email or phone. I've heard they have good customer service but have yet to experience it. Can anybody provide any first hand knowledge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-22-2012, 11:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I put a lx 5.7 in old 2008!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #3 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

If AEV isnt communicating with you, try the others. Burnsville, JSS... theres another i think thats popped up on here lately... maybe out of Jacksonville, Fl........

honestly, i couldn't help. i know the 2012 model year jumped up from a base 345hp to 370. we just got our first police chargers a couple months ago, and theyre still going through upfit. i took one out, and all i can say is that its an epic police car. if that engine performs the same in a JK... God help us all. we police would be wrecking chargers just to get the engine for our JKs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

The reason why you want the Jeep 5.7 is the accessorie belt drive. The Lx cars would require an expensive change. If you call AEV they will answer quicker than a forum post or an email

Jason

http://forum.aev-conversions.com/sho...=dodge+charger

Quote:
AEV Dave
Administrator

Can a 300C, Charger, or Magnum HEMI be used with the AEV Kit?
Engine:
Yes the car version of the HEMI engine can be used. You will need to replace the Altenator (its a different style of charging system), the PS pump will need to be replaced with an SRT8 WK pump, and the AC pump will need to be replaced with a Commander pump for packaging concearns with the AC lines. Some motors will also need the Cam sensor replaced. The exhaust manifolds will need to be changed to the WK/XK style as well. A complete Bill of Materials (BOM) is included with the kit with all the Mopar part numbers that are required.

Transmission:
No, the A580 transmission can not be used at this time, although we are working on a kit that will use the A580 transmission that is used in the 5.7/6.1 cars and SRT8 Grand Cherokee. IF you buy a car engine, you will need to buy a Dodge Truck, Durango, Grand Cherokee, Commander 5-45 transmission as of Sept 08.

dh

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. It helped me to pass on the engine. I'll just keep looking for the GC or commander. Don't want the hassle or expense of changing sensors, manifolds, and accessory parts. I did call AEV about 5-6 times, left messages on three different voice mails. Think maybe I need to rethink their kit. Would hate to get it and need some technical advice or part replacement for a defective part and never be able to contact anyone. Their kit just looked like the easiest. But I'll look a little closer at BOR now. I wanted to keep my current driveshafts. Seems like BOR requires a change plus the firewall mod. But I will spend extra money and do extra work for some decent customer service. Once again. Thanks to everyone for the replies and PMs.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-24-2012, 06:52 AM
jss
Rock God

VVT Truck Hemi

How about the 5.7L Truck Hemi like the VVT engines, 400HP and no over heating.

From 2009-2013 will work, the best Hemi for the buck.

["jeep speed shop The GuineaPig Build"]
VVT Truck Hemi Conversions
The ONLY CARB LEGAL JEEP ENGINE CONVERSION

7911 Redwood Dr, Cotati, Ca. 94931
707-338-3154
post #7 of 7 Old 09-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss View Post
How about the 5.7L Truck Hemi like the VVT engines, 400HP and no over heating.

From 2009-2013 will work, the best Hemi for the buck.
Yup. Exactly what I just had put in.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode