Phase 1 complete of build "NIGHTMARE" - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Phase 1 complete of build "NIGHTMARE"

Several months back I began thinking seriously about changing directions with my 2009 Sahara Unlimited. As it sat, still fairly impressive, it still didn't satisfy me as much as I had hoped. It was clearly missing that special something. Being no stranger to taking one vehicles initial platform and altering it into something most only dream of has been a passion of mine with most every vehicle I own. In fact, other than my daily driver, none of the other cars or motorcycles I own are near the stock configuration I purchased them in.
I decided that I was either going to take the Jeep to an extreme next step or I'd likely feel like selling it.
And so the transformation began...
I researched all the kits out there to have a 5.7L Hemi engine transplanted into the Jeep and fell into the most bit of comfort with the package from Burnsville Offroad. With some advice from Dan at BOR, we decided on the truck motor which put out a slightly better torque curve and cooling than the kits designed around using the car engines. The kit was installed by a local guy to me in SC who generally specializes in the restoration of world class old Mopars bringing easy 6 figure sums.

The path was not easy but today I took possession of "NIGHTMARE" back. The name chosen for this rig has dual meaning to me. Mainly named after my first mildly modified 1994 Jeep I sported in High School and secondly after the various trials and tribulations we encountered along the way.
The shop took hundreds of photos along the way but I have yet to procure them from them yet. I did manage to snap this picture today of the engine bay while taking delivery. I promise many more pics as I get the time to clean the jeep up. I had the doors and top off the jeep while it's been in the shop and it's dusty as all hell.
The power difference is astounding. Going from a meager V6 that pushed 35" mud grapplers through a puny 3.73 gear ratio via automatic transmission to a 400 HP 5.7L is night a day.
Here is a small sound clip I took driving home from the shop in the stop and go of rush hour traffic.

As you can clearly hear, this Jeep is now anything but ordinary now. The improvements, as awesome as they proved to be, simply weren't going to be enough. I already went to this extreme so I might as well have gone a bit further. I broke out the plastic and made Northridge, quadratec, river raider, and a few other vendors all a bit richer. I decided to scrap the toothpick front Dana 30 for a prorock 44 fitted with 5.13 gears, ARB locker, RCV shafts etc...
This was the minimum piece of mind to handle the 40" Maxxis Trepador tires I also had ordered which were being mated to ATX wheels. I also ordered the matching 5.13 rear gearing with ARB locker for the back Dana 44. Rounding out the new look, I ordered up RROR Crusher corners powder coated black. I have the flat fenders from RROR and their build quality is superb. Gaining the proper clearance for the massive new tires was not going to be an easy decision but I believe I chose wisely. The nod went to Rock Krawler and their 5.5 X factor long arm coil over kit. It is Way off the stupidly cool scale and more than ample than almost anything made for the JK. Like most new purchases, one item rolls out the need for another item and in this instance it was the driveshafts. Both front and rear shafts and yokes were going to be upgraded to Tom Woods. The stock transfer case is being scrapped for the Atlas 3.8 unit. I'm likely leaving something out but this thread is far from completion.
We decided to take the Jeep home and shake loose any odd bugs for a week before they commence with the installation of the parts mentioned above. I'm hoping to debut Nightmare at GULCHFEST in mid october. As I upload more photos and progress, I will happily share these updates with you all.
I'm excited to see how this project turns out but thanks to the Hemi, it's off to a magnificent start.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by v10kingsnake; 09-20-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Granite Guru

Here's your builds theme song

Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare - YouTube

2007 JK Unlimited Sahara, Blacked Out
3.5 inch lift sitting on 35's
Poly Performance/Synergy Suspension Ball Joints
Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier
post #3 of 11 Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Looks good. I hope to see it on the trail soon.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

You know no one likes you anymore? Seriously it looks good. Modifying things is what makes it ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 06:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Looks good. I hope to see it on the trail soon.
You will if the trail leads to Nordstroms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
You know no one likes you anymore? Seriously it looks good. Modifying things is what makes it ours.
We didn't like him before this just makes it worse

Actually were just mad he moved away and doesn't call anymore...
Is this thing on?

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #6 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
You know no one likes you anymore?
this.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 07:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
You will if the trail leads to Nordstroms

We didn't like him before this just makes it worse

Actually were just mad he moved away and doesn't call anymore...
Is this thing on?
Was that a shot at me or the OP?

When I bought mine:

Now:

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #8 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 AM
JKO Addict!

That's funny as Hell!! Since you posted the pic now it applies to both of you.

Josh is a good dude and if you get a chance to wheel with him you'll understand better all the ribbing he gets from his forgotten Jersey wheeling buddies

Is this thing on?

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #9 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
That's funny as Hell!! Since you posted the pic now it applies to both of you.

Josh is a good dude and if you get a chance to wheel with him you'll understand better all the ribbing he gets from his forgotten Jersey wheeling buddies

Is this thing on?
He's not too far away (I think?). We'll keep bugging him and get him out on the trail.

Either way, I'll meet you at Starbucks Saturday morning like we talked about V10kingsnake. Maybe we can hit the mall after that?

Build thread:

post #10 of 11 Old 09-22-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

The Nordstroms drop was too funny. I'm gonna have to play it by year cause I'm gonna be starting phase 2 soon and it will be in the shop for at least the whole week.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-23-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Last pic of NIGHTMARE before Phase 2 begins

Cleaned her up today and logged 100 more miles on the Hemi. It's running like a raped ape.

Removed the last telltale signs of this being a Sahara as well and replaced those decals with ones more fitting.

Last edited by v10kingsnake; 09-23-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode