Drove a 2012 and am now concerned. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Tim
Wheeler

Drove a 2012 and am now concerned.

I've been looking at JK's for a while now and today I finally got a chance to test drive a used 2012 unlimited 6 spd sport with 7450 miles. Overall, I'm really pleased with the changes made in the JK, but the area that concerns me is the feel of the clutch. Now, I'm not sure how much "damage" the previous owner could have done in 7450 miles, but the clutch had to be nearly pressed to the floor before it finally engaged and vice versa. I've driven plenty of older model JKs with manual transmissions and none felt like this. Is this how they all feel or does this sound like someone wore this one out?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Rock God

Garage

Not sure what your question is but a jeep that new still has the full factory warranty on it no matter who owns it. If you buy it you'll be covered. I'd test drive a new one to see if there is a difference to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Tim
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
Not sure what your question is but a jeep that new still has the full factory warranty on it no matter who owns it. If you buy it you'll be covered. I'd test drive a new one to see if there is a difference to you.
The ? at the end of my sentence kinda indicates my question doesn't it? Anyhoo...

After driving the used 2012, I agree, the best method to compare the two is to drive a brand new version and see for myself, if there is any major difference between the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Rock God

Garage

^^^ I was trying to be nice and not call you the obvious dumbass that your actually are.

It is highly unlikely the owner "wore out" the clutch in 7K miles. It is a hydraulic clutch actuator so... all the pedal feel or height engagement is a function of the master and slave cylinders not the clutch itself. Even so, replacing the hydraulic set-up will most likely fix any operator issues there may or may not be. My guess is there is not a problem you are just not used to the JK clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #5 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

My 2010 warranty manual says "clutch discs and modular clutch assembly" is covered by 12 months/12,000 miles. The 3y/36k and 5y/100k powertrain sections both say "NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.".

Dunno if that's the same for the 2012s, but FWIW.
post #6 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Tim
Wheeler

Quote:
^^^ I was trying to be nice and not call you the obvious dumbass that your actually are.
WOW, this is my first real question that I was hoping to get some sort of helpful response to since my wife and I are in the market for a JK, yet I receive a personal attack from someone whom I don't even know. It's unfortunate, because I really enjoy this site, and responses like this will probably deter me from spending much time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
My 2010 warranty manual says "clutch discs and modular clutch assembly" is covered by 12 months/12,000 miles. The 3y/36k and 5y/100k powertrain sections both say "NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.".

Thank you for your input. I appreciate the information.
post #7 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Rock God

Yea clutch is a wear part ... dont expect to ever get one replaced under warranty

EX-Jersey
Crew

Find us at www.disconnectedoffroad.com
post #8 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 10:56 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

The clutch in my 08 never felt like any other clutch in other vehicles. Drive a new one to verify the difference. You can likely buy a new one for a very similar price to one with 7K miles on the clock too.

Welcome to JKO.

Marcus

post #9 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
doesnt cover the clutch. i've had problems (still am) with my transmission and
they said if it's a clutch problem it isnt covered under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
I think I would rather hunt feral cats for food then to grocery shop at a walmart.
2009 Sahara JKU

TO DO LIST

[]4.5 Clayton
[]37" Copper STT/Mud grapplers
[]pro comp 7069 (black)
[]River Raiders Narrow fenders
[]XRC front bumper
[]XRC Rear Bumper
[]VKS Fab - Bolt-on 4 Door Sliders
[]tramp stamp (river raiders/jeep swag)
[]20" LED bar
[] dirtdog 4x4 3 piece net
[]MBRP off road exhaust
[]Mygig RER 730N

only on a 
post #10 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
The clutch in my 08 never felt like any other clutch in other vehicles. Drive a new one to verify the difference. You can likely buy a new one for a very similar price to one with 7K miles on the clock too.

Welcome to JKO.

Marcus
I remember you asking me what clutch I had in mine. Tom's is much heavier than mine and notchy. Almost like the pedal bushing is worn out on it.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #11 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
WOW, this is my first real question that I was hoping to get some sort of helpful response to since my wife and I are in the market for a JK, yet I receive a personal attack from someone whom I don't even know. It's unfortunate, because I really enjoy this site, and responses like this will probably deter me from spending much time here.

Woah, captain butthurt, slow your roll. Maybe you haven't noticed, but a thicker skin is needed here than on some other sites. We put our big boy pants on before logging in around here, so simmer the fuck down or get the fuck out.

As far as the clutch goes, I'll second the potential for master/slave issue. You will want to check the brake fluid reservoir.Used to be on the driver side, toward the cab in the 3.8 models, so the could have moved it when they went to the 3.6. Low fluid could inidcate there's a leak and could explain why a Jeep with under 10K on the clock is back at a dealership for resale.

Take it out for a nice long test drive and when you get back, take a look underneath at the tranny to see if there's any fluid seepeage or an outright leak. It could take a few hundred miles to present an issue, so make sure you're keeping a constant watch on it. If there's any leakage, request new master/slave cylinders be installed before you take posession. Insist they retain the parts removed for your inspection on arrival.

I know much of this from firsthand experience in the past few months due to my install nightmare with a few local shops.

EDIT: Your easiest course of action is to pass on this Jeep and buy one that has no miles and no problems you can see off the bat.

post #12 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:

post #13 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 12:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Woah, captain butthurt, slow your roll. Maybe you haven't noticed, but a thicker skin is needed here than on some other sites. We put our big boy pants on before logging in around here, so simmer the fuck down or get the fuck out.

As far as the clutch goes, I'll second the potential for master/slave issue. You will want to check the brake fluid reservoir.Used to be on the driver side, toward the cab in the 3.8 models, so the could have moved it when they went to the 3.6. Low fluid could inidcate there's a leak and could explain why a Jeep with under 10K on the clock is back at a dealership for resale.

Take it out for a nice long test drive and when you get back, take a look underneath at the tranny to see if there's any fluid seepeage or an outright leak. It could take a few hundred miles to present an issue, so make sure you're keeping a constant watch on it. If there's any leakage, request new master/slave cylinders be installed before you take posession. Insist they retain the parts removed for your inspection on arrival.

I know much of this from firsthand experience in the past few months due to my install nightmare with a few local shops.

EDIT: Your easiest course of action is to pass on this Jeep and buy one that has no miles and no problems you can see off the bat.
Take it easy dan, not everyone lives next door to a pack of Urban Hillbillies and wakes up in a foul mood.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #14 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Drive a new one to verify the difference. You can likely buy a new one for a very similar price to one with 7K miles on the clock too.

Welcome to JKO.

Marcus
^^^^
x2

Look into buying programs through your credit union, bank, tread lightly, or even some of the whole sale clubs.

Unless you are getting A HELL of a deal. The difference in price between this USED 2012 and a NEW '12 or '13 should be minimal

I bought a new 2012 for about the same price dealers were asking for used 2011's by using a buying program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post

My 2012 warranty reads the same way.
post #15 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've never liked the feel of my 2011 clutch since the day I picked it up at the dealer with a few miles on it. I push my clutch in all the way and my Jeep sometimes lunges forward a tiny bit since day one. And it releases really late for my taste. Makes crawling a pain in the ass for me.

It's still under warranty, so have a dealer check it out.
post #16 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Wheeler

I instantly regretted buying the manual. The clutch and shifter are unsatisfactory. I traded my 12 Sport Unlimited 6speed for a 12 Rubicon auto last Friday and couldn't be happier.
post #17 of 32 Old 09-19-2012, 12:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepchic55 View Post
This made me laugh.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #18 of 32 Old 09-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumptruckRich View Post
Yea clutch is a wear part ... dont expect to ever get one replaced under warranty
Unless the TOB goes. I had a clutch and TOB done on my 08' with 20K on it because there was a TSB on the TOB and I was still within the 3yr/36k basic even though I had a lifetime powertrain on it. Dealer covered all cost.

aka- Brian

08' JKU on 38's... parted out and SOLD
13' JKU Rubi... On HOLD, 04' LJ to suppliment
Rise and Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions
post #19 of 32 Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I've been looking at JK's for a while now and today I finally got a chance to test drive a used 2012 unlimited 6 spd sport with 7450 miles. Overall, I'm really pleased with the changes made in the JK, but the area that concerns me is the feel of the clutch. Now, I'm not sure how much "damage" the previous owner could have done in 7450 miles, but the clutch had to be nearly pressed to the floor before it finally engaged and vice versa. I've driven plenty of older model JKs with manual transmissions and none felt like this. Is this how they all feel or does this sound like someone wore this one out?

Thanks in advance.
Mine isn't that way.

'12 JKU, 6 speed, short arm lift, tires, wheels, winch, stubby, tire carrier, armor, blah blah blah...
post #20 of 32 Old 09-21-2012, 06:55 AM
Granite Guru

I've been offroad, onroad, towing, etc. with my JK and after 5,200 miles the clutch still feels new. It releases at the top of the pedal stroke and I don't have to get anywhere near the floor to shift gears.

It was 40 degrees the other morning and the gearbox shifted surprisingly well. In my previous vehicles, once the weather got cold the shifts were hard and clunky. So far this JKU transmission is butter smooth.

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
3/4" Daystar spacers/extra OE spacers up front
Airaid MXP intake kit
33x12.50 GY Duratracs on MB 72s
post #21 of 32 Old 09-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Wheeler

If it was traded in the 7500 miles on it I am betting it was wailed on. Try driving a new one. I went with the new auto and love it. Way too many complaints about the manuals popping out of gear. The only real advantage to the manual is the $1400 you save up front.
post #22 of 32 Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Granite Guru

...and the manual is sexy...

'12 JKU, 6 speed, short arm lift, tires, wheels, winch, stubby, tire carrier, armor, blah blah blah...
post #23 of 32 Old 09-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoJK View Post
If it was traded in the 7500 miles on it I am betting it was wailed on. Try driving a new one. I went with the new auto and love it. Way too many complaints about the manuals popping out of gear. The only real advantage to the manual is the $1400 you save up front.
I have had the 2012 manual (or as some like to call it on the forum a "Manuel") for more than a year and not once has it popped out of gear...in cold, in heat, in rage...never
post #24 of 32 Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Granite Guru

when was the last time you drove with A hydraulic set-up? I drove a semi for years and my '12 wrangler clutch feels way funky to me. I hope it is just that YOU got to get use to it shit for myself.
post #25 of 32 Old 10-09-2012, 04:57 PM
JKO Addict!

I noticed a difference in the clutch on my '12 compared to the '07 my wife used to have. If does have a different feel to it for sure.

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”― Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode