Hard Top SUT with trunk lid design questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hard Top SUT with trunk lid design questions

I've been thinking of something like this ever since I saw JeepBronco's SUT build thread. I got back into thinking about it with all the JK8 pics that people have put up.

Seeing as many on here are pretty good fabricators maybe someone has done something like this before. What I am looking at doing at some point in the future is either cutting up my hard top for the rear of the cab similar to JeepBronco's but build a fiberglass or simliar hard top tonneau cover that has a lockable trunk style lid on it.

My drawing is pretty crude but the concept would be to have the tonneau be a seperate piece from the back so that it could be a stand alone cover. Then the top would be cut to fit down on it to help it seal.

I'm in the research stage as I haven't done any major project like this before but hey, someone's gotta fuck something up to make something cool for everyone else right? Not an immediate project but looking for ideas or concepts and inputs from everyone.

2007 JK Unlimited Sahara, Blacked Out
3.5 inch lift sitting on 35's
Poly Performance/Synergy Suspension Ball Joints
Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Badass! Im Subscribed! I wanted a bed cover I just haven't got around to build one but I've got a great idea for you ! Use a damaged hard top for your cover . Lines will be perfect and it will be light weight . As for sitting the top on the cover I would stay away from that idea ... My top can get a little squeaky so I'd think the top maybe cut around the cover or nice lip to deflect water from pooling in the cab would work great . I like where your going with it . I actually have an extra damaged top and I was thinking of a way to make a bed camper that attaches up to my top but unfortunately my photo shop skills are none and can't really visualize it looking good ... Never know though . Good luck!

My build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 64 Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

That's some great info JeepBronco! I have given the connection from top to tonneau a lot of thought too. Squeaks are what will be the deciding factor on how to go. Like you, I have things pictured in my head but not quite right on drawings or anything yet. When talking of having the top sit on the tonneau it would need some sort of rubber gasket as well as quick lock system to hold them together. Just can't figure how to do it without it rubbing the hell out of each other and squeaking. If I get any other ideas I will bounce them off of you and see what we can come up with!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 09-18-2012, 05:17 AM
Granite Guru

Holy shit, Im now subscribed and have a new project to contemplate......what a badass idea!
post #5 of 64 Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'll be thinking of more ! I'll send them your way as they come !

My build

post #6 of 64 Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Rock God

Subscribed. This could be cool.

2012 JKUR Bright White - Ordered 2-1-2012, Built 3-7-2012, Arrived 3-9-2012, Picked Up 3-10-12
post #7 of 64 Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Rock God

I have a damged hard top on the wy and will be doing something similar. I will let you know if I come up with anything worthy.

Proud manufacturers of TRAILMOUNTZ Top QUALITY aluminum mounts for LED lighting.
post #8 of 64 Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sounds great guys the more minds working on this the better.

post #9 of 64 Old 09-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Rock God

I've been talking about doing this since 07. Even discussed it in detail with Kenney at river raiders but it was going tobe too expensive. There is a company that has been working on this for few yrs and I know they have one produced but every time I inquire they have no updated. Living near ne of the biggest boating area in the country, I've talked to fiberglass experts in molding one for mass production but the startup was very expensive. What bronco, did is probably the best and cheapest approach and a fiberglass cover wouldn't be hard and can borrow ideas grom trucks.
post #10 of 64 Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

got an idea .... A set of freedom panels for the bed cover... It would be cool especially if you could remove one leave one... Just a though , in my defense ive had a drink

My build

post #11 of 64 Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbronco1 View Post
got an idea .... A set of freedom panels for the bed cover... It would be cool especially if you could remove one leave one... Just a though , in my defense ive had a drink
Lol...some of the best ideas come when drunk
post #12 of 64 Old 09-18-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

That's actually a pretty good idea!

post #13 of 64 Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Rock God

I'm hoping to actually use the piece of roof I cut off as the lid top....trying to keep the lower six inches or so of the top intact to maintain the stock anchoring points. Add a rear wall/window to complete the change. Not sure how I'm going to deal with the roll bar coming through.

Proud manufacturers of TRAILMOUNTZ Top QUALITY aluminum mounts for LED lighting.
post #14 of 64 Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I was thinking of cutting the roll bar and making connections similar to how its done with the jk8 projects.

post #15 of 64 Old 09-19-2012, 06:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

cut it out, build a better one or you could do what they did on MRBP rattletrap build.

My build

post #16 of 64 Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ok putting together sober and drunk thoughts from you guys. If we use a hard top for the base of the tonneau so there are the anchor points and then use the freedom tops as the deck lid we might be able to make a useable light top that would be rigid enough to carry extras on top. I have some more ideas from you guys and will work to putting them in picture or drawing form. Could use hood hinges for the pivot points of the deck lid openings. JeepBronco keep drinking, great ideas spawn from innebreation. Just make sure you remember them!

post #17 of 64 Old 09-19-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Here is a very crude representation of what we are talking about[IMG]

post #18 of 64 Old 09-19-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The top of the tonneau is suppose to be the freedom tops reversed with hood latches. I did it that way because then we could take advantage of the factory seal of the hard top and freedom panels. It also makes use of the original tops bottom back seal plate. We could then cut that back part out and add the other pieces to make one full back piece eliminating the squeaks and leak problems of two seperate pieces back there.

post #19 of 64 Old 09-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Granite Guru

Man, you're on to something here. I'm tracking down a used/damaged hardtop now. This thread gets better everytime I get an update
post #20 of 64 Old 09-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Granite Guru

I guess I need to look up that build they mentioned where they cut and replaced the rear roll bars. Anyone have that link?
post #21 of 64 Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butkus34 View Post
Here is a very crude representation of what we are talking about[IMG]
Badass! Looks cool and usable. When I get around my jeep again I'll put my top on and make a makeshift cover with the panels ... Give a better visual!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My build

post #22 of 64 Old 09-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butkus34 View Post
JeepBronco keep drinking, great ideas spawn from innebreation. Just make sure you remember them!

hahaha! I forget lots more than I remember!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My build

post #23 of 64 Old 09-19-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sounds great!

post #24 of 64 Old 09-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Rock God

I want one of these but I want to retain the factory roll bar. Have an idea for a spare tire to mount there
post #25 of 64 Old 09-20-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The freedom panels look to be a decent fit. Of course they too will need to be shortened and modified some, but definitely to be expected and most certainly doable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode