Rear Sway Bar? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question Rear Sway Bar?

I have noticed that the rear extended sway bar links on my 3.5 RK lift is hitting the lower shock mount . It makes a rally bad noise when I turn right and hit the gutter in the street. My question is do I really need the rear sway bar on my 4 door. Or is it going to matter. thanks

Frank Bell 2008 JK Rubi.Rear Bumper/Tire carrier from FabFour, Gas Tank/Evap Canister Skids from Rock Hard 4x4, 3.5 Rock Krawler lift, MX6 shocks, 5.13 gears, and 315/70/R17 MTZ's

Last edited by CRWLNJK; 04-13-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWLNJK View Post
I have noticed that the rear extended sway bar links on my 3.5 RK lift is hitting the lower shock mount . It makes a rally bad noise when I turn right and hit the gutter in the street. My question is do I really need the rear sway bar on my 4 door. Or is it going to matter. thanks
Psst up a pic so we can take a look at it for you please.

Jason
post #3 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 12:21 PM
TrailDuty.com

While the rear does not do as much as the front, and people do run without them, you are safer running with it. Under normal circumstances it may not make much difference, but under emergency braking, swerving to avoid something, a blow out, etc, it may well make enough difference to matter.

The ends of the sway bar should be parallel to the ground. If they are, then you need to address the issue of clearance, if they are not you should address that first and then the clearance issue.

I'm not exactly sure how they are touching the lower shock mount, do you have a picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I ran no sway bars on my XJ and it could be scary at times.

On my 2 door JK I have NOT been running a rear sway bar. not all that noticeable on the street however it was offroad. In twisty sections the axles moved seperate from each other much more easy. However, off camber situatuations are a little scarier.

I am heading to Moab in a couple days so I put my rear sway bar back on for all the leaning out there.

I am curious how no rear sway is on the 4 door. I think the longer wheel base would make it even less noticeable on the street but off road I think the heavier body weight would intensify

EDIT: I should add what phil mentioned and that is the safetyu factor. When I say it is not that noticeable it is STILL not the safeset. If you have passengers I would leave it on as the benefit offroad is minimal to negative. I only took mine off because of stupid reasons...I just like taking stuff off my Jeep, lol and it was hitting my brake line brackets

Last edited by WTF_LOL; 04-13-2009 at 12:24 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 12:22 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Psst up a pic so we can take a look at it for you please.
X2 A picture will help see what the issue is.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
While the rear does not do as much as the front, and people do run without them, you are safer running with it. Under normal circumstances it may not make much difference, but under emergency braking, swerving to avoid something, a blow out, etc, it may well make enough difference to matter.

The ends of the sway bar should be parallel to the ground. If they are, then you need to address the issue of clearance, if they are not you should address that first and then the clearance issue.

I'm not exactly sure how they are touching the lower shock mount, do you have a picture?
I will post up some picks later this afternoon. Thanks for the info.

Frank Bell 2008 JK Rubi.Rear Bumper/Tire carrier from FabFour, Gas Tank/Evap Canister Skids from Rock Hard 4x4, 3.5 Rock Krawler lift, MX6 shocks, 5.13 gears, and 315/70/R17 MTZ's
post #7 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I have noticed that the rear extended sway bar links on my 3.5 RK lift is hitting the lower shock mount .

I also had this issue on the RK 3.5" kit. All the upper and lower arms were too long. Shorten them and you will be fine. Mine are ALL the way in and I still have a good pinion angle.

Last edited by Xtremjeepn; 04-13-2009 at 01:33 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 01:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

The job of the anti-roll ("Sway") bar is to load the wheels more evenly than a setup without one. It increases the tires' contact patches, allowing you to have more traction and more sure-footed handling.
Can you run without one? Sure. Is it a good idea to do, just to avoid a problem? No! Your Jeep was designed to run them. It's a safety issue, as noted above. Also, your car would understeer like a PIG, roll like a bathtub in a typhoon, and have considerably less grip at the rear, which in 2HI is the place where you need it most! Silly rabbit Fix your problem, not create another one! Mark W.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

Nice pictures but a photo of the point-of-contact would be more helpful...
post #10 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Openly Hostile

Looks like your spring is hitting the track bar as well.

I think your upper control arms are not the correct length. Only the uppers are adjustable on that kit right?

Jason
post #11 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I also had this issue on the RK 3.5" kit. All the upper and lower arms were too long. Shorten them and you will be fine. Mine are ALL the way in and I still have a good pinion angle.
x2... looks like you have your axle back way too far, mine axle is back an inch w/ the RK 5.5 and they are close to horizontal, however, still very close to the shock mount.

Also... it looks like your shock is hitting too... another sign of the axle being shifted too far back.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Rock God

Quote:

It is just me or does that spring look like it is contacting the trackbar? I'm going with what Xtreme said about the control arms being too long.

Jeff
post #13 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Looks like your spring is hitting the track bar as well.

I think your upper control arms are not the correct length. Only the uppers are adjustable on that kit right?
Now that you have said that I think that I am going to be going back to the shop where I had the lift put on. I didn't know that the spring was hitting the track bar until I really looked at the picture. I have only had it out one time since the lift was put on, and it was just running out in the desert. Thanks for the help.

post #14 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Rock God

The RK kit moves the axle rearward 1" to clear the pinch seam/rock rail on the front of the rear fender.

I swear the measurements for setting up the rear control arm length used in the RK kit are off. They push the axle too far back. Your spring will hit the track bar, your sway bar links hit the axle, and your shocks may hit the housing as well.

Shorten them ALL the way up and it will all fit fine.

post #15 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Alec W

Maybe its just me but the sway bar link looks too short. My sway bar ends are level and much higher, about the middle of the tire.

post #16 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Rock God

I see your photo and I match you!!! Haha!!

These are the RK links. Definately slightly shorter. (and again, the entire issue the OP is having is cured with adjusting the control arms)

post #17 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Rock God

After looking at the pictures. It looks like Alec's sway bar link could contact the tire with the wrong offest wheel or tire. Looks like "maybe" RK made the link short enough to fit down by the wheel instead of the tire.

Just a thought.

post #18 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
After looking at the pictures. It looks like Alec's sway bar link could contact the tire with the wrong offest wheel or tire. Looks like "maybe" RK made the link short enough to fit down by the wheel instead of the tire.

Just a thought.
The actual end of the sway bar touched the tire when I first lifted the Jeep. I actually ended up with 1.5 spacers to get that clearance but FWIW they tires also touched the UCAs also. It was because the wheels (pintlers) did not have the backspace I expected (AEV measures BS differently than most off-road wheels manufacturers seem to).

If you look at a stock JK the sway is level which is why I think Poly makes the aftermarket links longer (to compensate for the 4.5 of suspension lift)
post #19 of 19 Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Took the Jeep down to shop that put on the lift today (Absolute Offroad). Ounce the owner looked at he said that the axle was about an inch to far back. They put the Jeep on the lift and started to tare into it and then found that the lower and upper arms were too long. He said that some how they had put front lowers on the back. They cut them down to the right size and now it rides alot nicer and everything is in the place that it should be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode