2012 engine tick - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 09-14-2012, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

2012 engine tick

How many people have had the 2012 "Engine Tick"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 09-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Rock God

Search around theres a few good threads about it.

EX-Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew

Find us at www.disconnectedoffroad.com
post #3 of 36 Old 09-14-2012, 02:42 AM
Granite Guru

Id say around 90% of the 12's out there do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 09-14-2012, 04:44 AM
Granite Guru

I do not have the tick but I only have 1800 miles on my Jeep. From what I have read you have to put 3000 - 5000 miles or before you experience it.

Also the redesigned head came out before the build date of my Jeep so I am hopeful I have the updated head
post #5 of 36 Old 09-14-2012, 06:35 AM
Granite Guru

i was told by the dealer that my tick is the injectors and is amplified by the shape of the intake. We will see, just about 9000 on mine. at least it is on record that i complained about it

2012 JKU, stock for now, but gathering parts
post #6 of 36 Old 09-14-2012, 07:00 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinehyperlite View Post
Id say around 90% of the 12's out there do.
I saw 4% of them. And all of the engines were built before 4-9-12. Where did you get those numbers?
post #7 of 36 Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGNHD View Post
I do not have the tick but I only have 1800 miles on my Jeep. From what I have read you have to put 3000 - 5000 miles or before you experience it.

Also the redesigned head came out before the build date of my Jeep so I am hopeful I have the updated head
What the buil date of your Jeep. That may be something I want to look at before purchasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
I saw 4% of them. And all of the engines were built before 4-9-12. Where did you get those numbers?
Good question. I would like to see facts also.
post #8 of 36 Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Wheeler

I think that was published in the Pull-it-Out-Our-Ass Society's last quarterly report on Things we Pulled out our Asses, co-edited by Dr. Pulledit Outmyass.

i have a build date of 07/2011 and mine be ticking -- not crazily but with only 6.5k miles on it.
post #9 of 36 Old 09-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LCKD10RUBIUNLTD View Post
What the buil date of your Jeep. That may be something I want to look at before purchasing.

Good question. I would like to see facts also.
It has nothing to do with build date of your jeep, engines are built way ahead of jeep production. I was thinking the same thing until dealer told me this.
My dealers service manager to us they sold 168 jeep wranglers in 2012 they have has 16 jeep come in with the complaint of ticking they have only found 4 of them to have bad left head. They say many are bringing them in just thinking they hear something( all these threads on the forums) They can and will do nothing if an error code isn't present at time of complaint. If you are having a real problem Jeep is fixing it right away. Dealer said he has heads in stock and can change one out in 5 hours.
Dealer told us it's the chicken little story.
post #10 of 36 Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It has nothing to do with build date of your jeep, engines are built way ahead of jeep production. I was thinking the same thing until dealer told me this.
My dealers service manager to us they sold 168 jeep wranglers in 2012 they have has 16 jeep come in with the complaint of ticking they have only found 4 of them to have bad left head. They say many are bringing them in just thinking they hear something( all these threads on the forums) They can and will do nothing if an error code isn't present at time of complaint. If you are having a real problem Jeep is fixing it right away. Dealer said he has heads in stock and can change one out in 5 hours.
Not so reassuring coming from a dealer.
post #11 of 36 Old 09-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Not so reassuring coming from a dealer.
Agree, but folks get paranoid when they read "90% of all 2012's have the tick" on forums that they rely on for info.

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #12 of 36 Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Granite Guru

[QUOTE=4LCKD10RUBIUNLTD;1288416]What the buil date of your Jeep. That may be something I want to look at before purchasing.

My Jeep build date is July 2012.

Does anyone know where the engine build date is located?
post #13 of 36 Old 09-15-2012, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=DRGNHD;1289008]
Quote:

My Jeep build date is July 2012.

Does anyone know where the engine build date is located?
I never though about that... I thought it would be the same date. It would be a good idea for everyone with a 2012 with the engine tick to get this info & post it. Jeep build date & engine build date if applicable. It would possibly help to narrow down the problem.
post #14 of 36 Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 PM

I bought my Wrangler in March of 2012 and noticed the ticking the first week. Also. the acceleration seemed a bit sluggish at times but nothing really bad. I opted to wait for some kind of error to show up in order to bring in my Jeep. After 16K miles (a few days ago), the check engine light finally came on. I dropped off my Jeep at the dealership the following day noting: Ticking noise near left side of engine; sluggish acceleration from dead stop and between gears 2-3. That same day the tech advisor notified me that they will be replacing my cylinder head without any hassle. I should have the Jeep back in a few days. I'll update my post when I get 'er back. I think I could have brought it in sooner but without an error code, it would have a frustrating process trying to convince them that there was a problem. There's hope out there! But be careful...bring your Jeep in as soon as the light comes on. They advised me to not drive it any further since I have to wait for the parts to come in (1 day).
post #15 of 36 Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Wheeler

Garage

In the Durango world, there is a TSB and an issue usually starting with cylinder 5 on the V6 Pentastar that gets the entire head replaced under warranty. Don't know why the same engine in the JK would be any different.

I'm keeping a real close "ear" out on my late build 2013. So far, no issues.

IndyD
post #16 of 36 Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I have had the tick since about 3k miles, I'm just waiting for a code or new engine.

Have about 12k on it now and has stayed the same in sound, thats why I put mud grapplers on to get rid of the sound while driving
post #17 of 36 Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

My 12 is ticking. It sounded HORRIBLE the other night when I pulled into my neighborhood but I have yet to get any lights.

I'm not going to the dealer until it explodes. Every time I go there I have to talk myself out of spending a night in jail.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 36 Old 01-10-2013, 03:50 AM
Granite Guru

Our 12 has been ticking since 1000 miles. Its got 10k on it now. No running problems yet.

'99 TJ - DPG Ultimate Lift,Ome,JKS,Rokmen arms,35's
Alloy rear axles,detroit locker,Tatton,G2 front axles,Lockrite
'12 Arctic Edition Unlimited- stock for now
'99 XJ 3.5 RE lift and 32s
post #19 of 36 Old 01-10-2013, 05:13 AM
Wheeler

Garage
post #20 of 36 Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Wheeler

If it's ticking take it into the dealer. They are replacing the heads left and right. There a big thread about this on another forum .. do search on "pentastar". I seem to recall reading around new years that even some 2013's have the problem. Depends on the build date of your engine.
post #21 of 36 Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRubi13 View Post
If it's ticking take it into the dealer. They are replacing the heads left and right.
Dealer may not react unless it also throws a code so better wait until it throws one before going to the dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRubi13 View Post
There a big thread about this on another forum .. do search on "pentastar". I seem to recall reading around new years that even some 2013's have the problem. Depends on the build date of your engine.
Information on the internet is not known for being highly reliable, everything to be taken with a grain of salt.

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #22 of 36 Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Dealer told me the exact same thing that unless I get the cylinder misfire code they won't do anything about it. So ridiculous as he acknowledged my motor has the tick. Just broke 13k miles so we'll see if the tick gets worse or if I finally get the misfire code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
And yeah, we might be a touch rough round the edges, but Jeeple are good people.
post #23 of 36 Old 01-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Granite Guru

I've had the ticking for a quite a while and it's gotten pretty loud. Mine threw a misfire code once this summer while I was wheeling Rausch Creek but the CEL turned off before I could get it to the dealer. I'm at about 20k now.
post #24 of 36 Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEP View Post
I bought my Wrangler in March of 2012 and noticed the ticking the first week. Also. the acceleration seemed a bit sluggish at times but nothing really bad. I opted to wait for some kind of error to show up in order to bring in my Jeep. After 16K miles (a few days ago), the check engine light finally came on. I dropped off my Jeep at the dealership the following day noting: Ticking noise near left side of engine; sluggish acceleration from dead stop and between gears 2-3. That same day the tech advisor notified me that they will be replacing my cylinder head without any hassle. I should have the Jeep back in a few days. I'll update my post when I get 'er back. I think I could have brought it in sooner but without an error code, it would have a frustrating process trying to convince them that there was a problem. There's hope out there! But be careful...bring your Jeep in as soon as the light comes on. They advised me to not drive it any further since I have to wait for the parts to come in (1 day).

UPDATE:

I got my Jeep back today and no more ticking! It runs smooth and the acceleration is much improved.

Here's what the dealer wrote:

"Scan tool test code P0306 counts constant misfire CYL6. Compression 123 PSI CYL 6 leakdown 60% past exhaust valve. CYL6 noise caused by excessively worn exhaust valve guides in left head. Upon teardown found CYL6 exhaust valve and seat burned. Replaced left head assy 3.6 ENG..."

Good luck to others!
post #25 of 36 Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Wheeler

This design characteristic of the engine is something that a few people on engine blogs are stating is a design flaw.

"The Pentastar engine has an unusual design. The engine's exhaust passages merge into a single outlet in the aluminum cylinder heads before exiting to the exhaust manifold. Most modern engine designs send hot exhaust gases in separate passages in the head to the exhaust manifold."

"Bob Lee, Chrysler's chief of engineering, said, however, that excessive heat was not a factor in the malfunction and that his engineering teams spent months isolating its causes."

BS, if you ask me. Jeep is replacing the heads with exhaust valves and guides which are better able to handle the heat which sounds like a contradiction to Bog Lee's statement.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120819959

Last edited by hwy1rubi; 03-22-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode