Duratracs impress me more and more - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Duratracs impress me more and more

I went to my second wheeling trip in Wellsville, Ohio over the weekend. My 2010 2-door JK has a Rock Krawler 2.5" lift with 285/70/17 Duratrac tires with open differentials and auto trans. My tires were at street pressure, around 30psi. I didn't have anything to air down with or anything to air back up for that matter.

I was in a group with three other Jeeps, a YJ with Dana 60's and 35", a YJ with 33" and a 4-cyl, and a TJ with 32" and a 4-cyl. The Dana 60 YJ blew its engine coming up a steep rocky hill. Being that I had the only 6cyl in the group, I was tasked with towing it back to the trailer. The trail we were on wasn't the most challenging or muddy, but it did have a couple good hills we had to cross along with loose rocks, ledges, a couple water filled holes and some good ruts. At first, I wasn't too sure if my Duratracs would have enough grip to get up the hills while towing another Jeep.

The first hill had loose rocks on the bottom and ruts going to the top. The tires gripped and made it's way to the top without any problems. It didn't even feel like I was towing anything. At the top, I had to go back down. But this was a little hairy as the down side had washed out ruts and a couple off-camber areas. I went as slow as possible so that I wouldn't tip over. Luckily the brakes still worked on the YJ.

The second hill proved to be the most challenging. It had rocky ledges in some areas. The first ledge I had to goose the front wheels over it and then my wheels started to spin. I gently turned my wheel left and right and eventually gained enough traction to make my way over the ledge. That was the first time I felt the other Jeep behind me as I had to tug it over the same ledge. The second ledge had a large tree branch just past it. I made it over the ledge and my tires got stuck on the branch trying to go over. They started to spin on the branch. I backed off and turned my wheels to the right and tried to go over the branch at an angle instead of head on. This helped my tires gain traction and over I went.

We made it to the half way point to a flat area. We had one more small hill to climb. This one was a little muddy with tree stumps on the right side. Controlling the throttle was key in this part. We got the top and was greeted with some shallow water holes. These weren't a problem, just had to go slow to not create a wake. I made it back to the bulldozed trailer area and ended the trip.

Cliff notes: The tires impressed the hell out of me considering I was towing another Jeep up and down hills.

Wrangler Mountain Edition

Rock KrawlerSynergyJKSLoDGoodyear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode