Riptide's 2012 Build/Adventure Thread - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 09-06-2012, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Riptide's 2012 Build/Adventure Thread

Just realised I didn't have a build thread here... and well since I've been banned from that other place, I needed a place to gloat about the few mods I've done, and show some pics from where I've been.

Current Picture
02/23/16

So here goes:

The JK is a silver 2012 JKU Rubicon, with the 5 spd automatic. Leather, dual tops, cmd start, connectivity, basic stereo. Ordered Nov 15th, picked it up on Feb 14th. Already passed 15,000 km (9000 miles).

My long term plans include 35s, roof rack, bumpers, winch, 3.5" lift, additional gas tank, some lights, drive shafts, beefing up the axles and possibly a super charger (although this is damn near at the bottom of my wishlist - so who knows). I expect this will take 3-5 years to build it up - not that it'll ever truly be done. Right now my wishlist is sitting around 35k (including some guesstimates for some installs). Winning the lotto would go a long way to getting this done sooner! However being realistic, this first year will be fairly slow. Other than wiring in some lights, and making a sleeping platform in the back, my only plan for this year is to get the bumper and winch - hopefully around Christmas.

Am still going back and forth on the bumper. JRC, LoD, AEV, ARB. I change my mind every few weeks.

I plan on going more of an expo style with this one. Will be sleeping in the back to start with, and eventually going to an Mongoila style tent for the roof. A small trailer to is something I keep thinking about, but am still uncertain whether I really want to tow something (both performance wise in the mountains I'd have to travel to go south, and whether I want that behind me while in the cites I'd visit while traveling or while wheeling on the trail). My dream is to do some traveling down to Mexico and further south for my summer vacations - likely taken in the winter because -40 sucks. I figure I can be in Mexico within 6-7 days of leaving the Yukon, allowing for 2-3 weeks of exploring before having to head home. No, not nearly long enough, but a start.

So far I've installed:

Vector's UFO Plates
Spidertrax Spacers
Twisted Squirrel grill cover
Gas Cap cover
Bug guard
WeatherTec front floor mats
JW Speaker EVO 2 LED Headlights
JW Speaker LED Fog lights
sPOD Switch System
Stubby Antenna (DIY)
Cowl Air Vent Cover
Pat Harrison's Trailskins Limb Risers
Pat Harrison's Aluminum Body Armor (not installed)
LoD Mid Width bumper with a custom pre-runner setup
Engo 10k Winch with synthetic line
Poison Spyder Customs front fenders (steel)
Aries rear fenders (aluminum)
35x12.5x17 Toyo's
Mopar rear bumper
AEV Snorkel
AEV Pre Filter
Poision Spyder DIY Rock Steps
Carolina Metal Masters Grab Handles
Carolina Metal Masters Grab Bar
Nexus 7 for Nav & trails on RAM mount
3.5" Metal Cloak lift
Clear Turn Signals
Vector E-Dock
ARB Compressor (Evo underhood mount)
10 Lb Power Tank CO2
TrailSkin rear backup lights
4WheelParts Performance Brake Upgrade Kit (ceramic brakes, sloted and drilled roters)
New front DS (not installed)
Rancho front dif slider, and lube locker to seal the dif
Rigid SR 10" LED Combo Bar (spot)
50" 24x10w LED light bar (spot)
9x10w LED light pods (spot)
20" LED light bar (not installed)
BOSS adjustable shocks
Synergy front lower shock mounts
Rugged Ridge rear upper shock mounts
Off Road Only liteSPOT rock lights
cheapo rearview camera & mirror (not installed)
MorRyde heavy duty hinges

CND M101 1/4 ton trailer w/ James Baroud Escape RTT

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop

Last edited by Riptide; 02-23-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Rock God

This sounds like a great build

Sent from my iPhone wishing I was wheeling

SOLD:
2012 Flame Red JKUR- Manual w/ 4.10s & Nav
JCR Front Pre-runner & Rear Dagger, RK 2.5" Flex System, Bilstein 5100s, Teraflex Exhaust Spacers, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17 Tires, Black ATX Slot 17x9 Wheels
post #3 of 30 Old 09-06-2012, 08:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Very cool

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 09-06-2012, 09:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Nice, looking forward to more updates.

Greg
post #5 of 30 Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

New bumper and winch installed. Sorry for the large pictures

LoD Mid Width with a custom pre-runner setup. Winch is a 10k Engo. I still need to attach winch line and the skid plate once it arrives. I also need to shave the Vision X LED foglights a bit - or I might be able to get away with adjusting the mount as the passenger side isn't too bad. I'll likely end up doing both. Currently one is pointed so high it's useless (unless I want to piss off other drivers), while the other is pointed almost straight down. The fogs fit (and I really like the look), but it's so tight that there's absolutely no room to adjust the lights at all.

One thing I was surprised about was how low the center section is. Kind of disappointed with that - however a pair of 240 LF lights will cover that. The other thing (if I did this over again), would be to have the center bull bar about 1.5-2 inches lower/shorter. However I still prefer this with the larger bar than without. It would also be nice if LoD would use some sort of light mounting (like AEV does) so that the bolt for the lights are not in the bumper. Had I actually planned on using those, tightening up the bolts for the lights would have been a complete *****.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Last edited by Riptide; 11-23-2012 at 12:24 AM.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Granite Guru

Looks good. I'm a big fan of the LOD bumpers and sliders, not so much of the price though.

2011 JKU Rubi
2.5" RK Max Travel
35/12.5/17 Pro Comp MT
35/12.5 /17 Duratracs
Poison Spyder Evap Skid
Paramount front and rear bumpers
VKS Rocksliders
Fox 2.0 shocks
Recon 10,000lb Winch
Vision X Rock lights
Cobra 75
post #7 of 30 Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Cheaper than an AEV or a ARB one, which were my other two choices.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #8 of 30 Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Things seem to be slowly progressing. Smittybilt XRC Flat Fenders arrived today. Needless to say I left work a tad early to get these installed. Install took ~2.5/3 hours. Rears were super quick, while the fronts were a PITA... and I didn't deal with my old liners, so I'll have to pull the fronts this weekend to put my stock liners back in (trimmed). Really not looking forward to that... oh well.

Love the rears... less in love with the fronts. They really cut in at the front. But the lines flow good with my midwidth bumper. I eventually want to get these painted to match, but for now they can stay black.

Crappy side picture. Will get a better one later.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #9 of 30 Old 04-16-2013, 04:48 AM
Granite Guru

Nice.

Are you going to do some bedliner in those rear fender wells?
post #10 of 30 Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rha600 View Post
Nice.

Are you going to do some bedliner in those rear fender wells?
I'll have to do something. But that'll wait until it's actually warm outside.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #11 of 30 Old 04-19-2013, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

And just scored some new tires. No pics yet. But a buddy had a set of 33 IROKs that he wanted to move. Managed to get some guy to agree to buy my stock Rubi tires. So will buy the IROKs and get them mounted up today (hopefully). Then recoup half my cost by selling mine! They're only 33s, but that's okay. For $450, for 5 practically new tires, I can live with 33s for a while.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #12 of 30 Old 04-20-2013, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

33x13.5x17. A little wide... but the price was right. Can't wait for our trail ride tomorrow!

On a side note, the side of my jeep will never be clean again.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #13 of 30 Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

So got to test out the tires yesterday. Did a trail I did 2 weeks ago. Went from the guy following the bigger jeep (my old 07 X with 4" of lift and 35s) to being the guy breaking trail. Other than one mud hill that wasn't part of the trail, we were in 2-3 feet of snow the whole time. Never once had to use my winch or get a pull. We wouldn't have made it half as far as we did if my friend with my old JK was breaking trail.

Can't wait for winter to end, and the snow to melt!

A couple pics.

Where we decided to turn around. And have a snack.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #14 of 30 Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Found a rock to flex out on.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #15 of 30 Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

Very cool pics, looks very beautiful up in the Yukon.

JOIN THE NRA NOW!

post #16 of 30 Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

After a hassle (wrong sized tires, fitment issues, bla) I got the new wheels and tires onto the trailer. Here's how it sits now. Also ran it over the scale lastnight. 1250 lbs loaded (with no/little water).

But the trailer in stock form (last pic) did about 4000-4500 km on my travels this summer. Worked out great. Couple small things I want to change... but it'll be fairly slow coming along - much like the jeep.

Stock sitting in my parents driveway.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Last edited by Riptide; 07-11-2013 at 06:45 AM.
post #17 of 30 Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Did about 7500 km in 3.5 weeks. Lots of frustrations with the jeep (5 trips to the dealer for 2 issues - 1 of which was fixed). But all in all had a good time. So here's some shots from my vacation. Camped for ~12 days. Got lots of sun (and got sunburnt lol). All in all, trip was too long, and too short. I got home on Thursday night, and by Friday afternoon wanted to go camping again! So am going this weekend!

Camping around Seattle.

Camping at Lynden WA

Hale/Sunrise wheeling trip.

V-Rock

Harrison Lk - on the FSR from Harrison to Pemby.

A Shot at Rubichronic... - The bridge that was 'closed' last year 40km down the FSR.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #18 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Hmmm haven't posted much lately. Here's some pics from a few trips.

Pulling out a hummer. Guess he didn't look at my decal.

Got stuck in the logs... and when I got a pull, I slid off into the creek. Didn't break anything... just scared the shit out of myself.

Washed 140 lbs of dried mud off after ^ trip.

Trip from last month.

Buddies jeep. But I fell into the same hole 2 years ago. Like him... I damn near shit myself. Only difference was the water was a lot deeper when we did that trail.

Even the winch couldn't help me here... had to get a pull backwards, and pick a different line.

"camping" at my parents cabin. Brothers GF just happened to have lots of saran wrap.

Top of a mountain, 7000 ft up. Crappy weather, so we had no view. Would like to do it again, but it's too late in the year now, and there'll be snow up there. With some of the inclines, theres no way we could make it up now. But I'll do it sometime next year. Have managed to get up there each of the last 3 years...

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #19 of 30 Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I see I haven't updated this in a while. List in the OP is correct. Outside hasn't really changed other than the snorkel.

Well after a couple weeks of waiting for parts to arrive... I can finally post a picture of the Nexus 7 setup - which I quite happily stole from Mark Doiron. It moves more than I'd like... but as Mark said... it's really not an issue as you can still easily read everything - it's just annoying - how much so I guess I'll see over the coming weeks. Zoomed in on the navigator I'm using, I can still read street names with no issues. I'll likely change the nav app, as I don't like how it originates the screen (it'll show me going down, so that whats on the left of the screen is on the right on the road).

Total cost for this...just over $400 with the 4G 32GB tablet, mounts (Cooltech mount, Ram mounts), case and shipping. I'm happy with it. The main two apps I'll be using will likely be the Back Country Maps and some sort of Nav for roads (I'll have to try a few). I can also hook this up to my stereo and have the Kindle app read to me while on long road trips.

Edit... stupid camera's... pictures make my jeep look MUCH dirtier than it really is. I swear!

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #20 of 30 Old 12-13-2013, 05:15 PM

What's the deal with the strings on the front of your hood to the windshield?

09 JK with lots of goodness
post #21 of 30 Old 12-13-2013, 05:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wells View Post
What's the deal with the strings on the front of your hood to the windshield?
Keeps branches from scratching the shit out of the hood a fenders.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #22 of 30 Old 12-13-2013, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Keeps branches from scratching the shit out of the hood a fenders.
Yep, limb raisers. However, I didn't buy them with that intention. I wanted the pillar guards to act as a front tie down spot for my kayak. The fact that they look good, and are functional for wheeling is just a bonus.

Pat Harrison (Trail Skins) makes them. He's a vendor here.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #23 of 30 Old 04-19-2014, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Couple new updates.

Here's a crappy picture of my CMM grab bar with the ram mount.

Picked up a used front dif slider. Also ordered my 3.5" Metalcloak lift (should be here in a few weeks?). I grabbed a Expo Portal decalled Trasharoo during a GB, and ordered an awning and walls for my trailer.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #24 of 30 Old 07-09-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I can see I haven't updated this in a while. 3.5" Metalcloak lift has been installed. Dif slider installed (not in picture), LF 50w HID lights I picked up off a forum member and ARB compressor have been installed.

Here's a current picture.

50w LF HIDs. I love the look compared to the smaller lights I had before. I think they just fill things out so much better.

When I attempted to install my grab handle the first time around, it got hungup on my sPOD wiring and I snapped the bolt. Had that drilled out a few weeks ago, so installed that as well. Has a RAM ball mount on the inside. Is very solid.

Well my Rancho Dif skid is installed, and my ARB compressor and LF lights are all wired up. Thank goodness for my sPOD. Compressor took 10 minutes to wire in (easy when it's right beside the spod and all in the engine bay). Unfortunately for the LF lights, because they're HIDs and I wanted the ballasts inside the engine bay (safer, cleaner install) I used some Chinese HID extension cables... I'm pretty certain they're why the lights only intermittently both come on when I flick the switch. First 7/8 times, 1 or the other would come on. Occasionally both. The last 7/8 times both came on. So as I'm leaving on Friday, and I'm staying up north and don't really expect it to be that dark, I'll suck it up. But it is annoying. I'll see about sourcing some north American cables before I leave to re-wire them... otherwise I'll have to completely re-wire the lights with the ballasts in the bumper. Which will be a pain in the *** to deal with.

But I'm glad it's all done. Now just need to wire in the 10" Rigid LED bar I bought used (wiring is all in place), and I'm good to go for my trip. Will deal with my reverse LEDs when I come home (and before I do my wheeling trip in BC in August).

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #25 of 30 Old 07-09-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Off to Alaska on Friday afternoon. Will be picking up the 5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider teardrop trailer I bought. Will then spend a couple weeks touring about, before coming home.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode