Harmonic Shake around 65-70mph - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to Rafic
Harmonic Shake around 65-70mph

So after addressing my power steering pump issues on my Hemi JK, I've moved on to something that has been annoying me for a while now.

At speeds of 65-70 mph and above, there is a harmonic shake that takes place in the Jeep. It's not what you might call a vibration thing. It's more of a shake that happens every 5 seconds. It is constant yet harmonic in feel. Imagine that it goes like this: burrr----burrr----burrr, etc...

The faster you go, the more pronounced it becomes. I torqued everything down to specs, it didn't go. Rebalanced the tires, did an alignment, still there. Crossed the tires, still there.

I have 2" OME suspension lift, front and rear RK adjustable track bars, 2in body lift, OME steering stab, a Hemi, 17" Rugged Ridge wheels with 35" Cooper STTs, no spacers. Jeep is a 2008 with 31K miles on the clock. Stock drive shafts.

I just pulled the front drive shaft to try and eliminate possible culprits. The damn thing hit my head hard when it came out . I didn't have the chance to test drive it with the front ds out. So that is still to be determined.

Either way, I did some research and there are lots of "culprits" to a shake. Yet it always seems to point to major 3 that are rubber bushings gone bad, drive shaft gone bad, or ball joints gone bad.

Anyone has an idea as to what can be causing such a harmonic shake? The shake can be felt throughout the whole jeep. It's as if the whole body is being given a thud.

HEMI 6.1L - 4.88 Gears - OME HD Lift - OME Steering Stab - Front & Rear RK Trackbar + Relocation Bracket - ARB Deluxe Front Bumper - Warn 9.5cti - IPF XS900 - 35" Cooper STT - 17" Ruged Ridge Wheels - ARB Diff Covers - AEV Rear Corner Guards - Mopar Rear Light Guards - Rugged Ridge Hi Lift Mount - Daystar Dash Top - Daystar Switch Panel - Pioneer AVH 4100 - 2x MB Quart Component Sets - 1x R.F. AMP - 1x Pioneer AMP - 1x Pioneer Small Sub Enclosure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 09-05-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I forgot to add that the jeep has been regeared to 4.88.

HEMI 6.1L - 4.88 Gears - OME HD Lift - OME Steering Stab - Front & Rear RK Trackbar + Relocation Bracket - ARB Deluxe Front Bumper - Warn 9.5cti - IPF XS900 - 35" Cooper STT - 17" Ruged Ridge Wheels - ARB Diff Covers - AEV Rear Corner Guards - Mopar Rear Light Guards - Rugged Ridge Hi Lift Mount - Daystar Dash Top - Daystar Switch Panel - Pioneer AVH 4100 - 2x MB Quart Component Sets - 1x R.F. AMP - 1x Pioneer AMP - 1x Pioneer Small Sub Enclosure
post #3 of 57 Old 09-07-2012, 02:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Have you tried just taking the harmonica out of the jeep or putting it in your pocket?

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 Old 09-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Mine does the same thing. Someone said motor mounts but since you have a hemi and new motor mounts that rules that out. My ball joints are only about a year and a half old (poly) with about 7500 miles on them. My trac bar is only a year old as well (poly). My front DS is about 3 years old now. Maybe I need to yank it. What about a bent flange on the rear axleshaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 57 Old 09-08-2012, 04:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Are you seeing any sort of tire wear issues that could point to ball joints?

I had a similar situation not long ago. Turned out to be my exhaust rattling against the frame very lightly.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 57 Old 09-08-2012, 05:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
Have you tried just taking the harmonica out of the jeep or putting it in your pocket?
zing

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #7 of 57 Old 09-08-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well taking the front ds out did nothing. The shake is still there. Btw, how can one tell if a drive shaft is bad by just looking at it? The front had an intact boot and there were no signs of grease splatter anywhere and the joints looked ok. I really dont feel like taking the rear one out and it turns out its not the cause! Can a bad track bar joint cause such a shake? "shake" doesn't even describe it well, it's more of a "tremor" thing. You can feel it going throughout the whole structure of the jeep. My next step is to address front and rear track bar mounting points, see if there's play, a bad joint, etc...

Geez this is very annoying!

post #8 of 57 Old 09-08-2012, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
Are you seeing any sort of tire wear issues that could point to ball joints?

I had a similar situation not long ago. Turned out to be my exhaust rattling against the frame very lightly.
Jay the tires dont show any uneven wear, and the motor mounts and the tranny mounts are brand new. So ibdont think they're the cause.

This tremor is speed related, and usualy that points to tires and balancing yet its not the case.

post #9 of 57 Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Granite Guru

Rear shaft out of balance?
post #10 of 57 Old 09-08-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Maybe who knows, gotta check that also. Question, if there was an improper gear install, would it cause a temor? Or it would be accompanied with a diff wine as well?

post #11 of 57 Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

As I was reinstalling my front df, I noticed something. Long and behold, both front wheels/tires had their balancing weights missing on the inner side (facing the jeep)!!! I did balance the tires last week. The weights must have flown off right off the bat! I'm hoping this is the cause of the tremor! Gonna rebalance the tires (3rd time) this week and see how things fare then. Just gotta make sure they stay on this time. Should I apply a bit of glue to them, even if they clip on the lip of the rim? It seems that they are not staying on on their own!

post #12 of 57 Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I'm a much bigger fan of press on weights ( inside rim) as opposed to the clip type ( outside)...

Shouldn't have to use additional adhesive if installed properly.

Yea... that could absolutely be your problem.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #13 of 57 Old 09-09-2012, 07:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafic View Post
As I was reinstalling my front df, I noticed something. Long and behold, both front wheels/tires had their balancing weights missing on the inner side (facing the jeep)!!! I did balance the tires last week. The weights must have flown off right off the bat! I'm hoping this is the cause of the tremor! Gonna rebalance the tires (3rd time) this week and see how things fare then. Just gotta make sure they stay on this time. Should I apply a bit of glue to them, even if they clip on the lip of the rim? It seems that they are not staying on on their own!
When you get then rebalanced, have then use the press on weights in the center of the wheel. Also, have either them, or yourself, outline the section of the weights with a marker so that you know in the future if you lose a weight.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #14 of 57 Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

thats a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #15 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Angry Add insult to injury, power steering pump acting up again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
When you get then rebalanced, have then use the press on weights in the center of the wheel. Also, have either them, or yourself, outline the section of the weights with a marker so that you know in the future if you lose a weight.
Tires rebalanced with press on weights. Tremor still present. Ugghhh! Add insult to injury, my power steering pump (brand new-1000km only) has started acting up again. Hard to steer standing still and making a "pop" sound when letting go of the steering wheel. I'm beginning to think that there's a connection there. Could these be possible causes:

1. Steering damper is shot, and is actually causing more pressure on the steering system-->shake + steering pump failure.

2. Steering box is shot, and causing this tremor and the power steering pump to act up?

3. Track bar bolt is moving around and causing this tremor?

I'm so frustrated!

I have made some vids and I will post them to give a better idea of what is happening. Will be up in a bit...

post #16 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

RK Track Bar Bolt at axle:

JK Wrangler RK Track Bar Bolt.m4v - YouTube

post #17 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Front Axle Vid:

JK Wrangler Front Axle.m4v - YouTube

post #18 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the same prob. Its pretty bad. The vibs resonate throughout the entire Jeep. It started after regearing to 5:13's. I replaced my rear drive shaft to a JE Reel and I still had the vibs. Took the front drive shaft out and still have the vibs.

I recently noticed my steering wheel was not straight so I checked out what was up with the suspension. I also noticed when coming to a stop I could actually feel the nobs on the tires as the jeep slowly rolled to a stop. I didn't have that when I first mounted those Nitto Trail Grapplers. First, my front axle was not centered by atleast a half inch and I noticed my front bump stops were pretty close to the axle pads. My front end was sagging. The rear end is still centered. Took a quick measurement and my toe seemed a bit off too. So tonight I recentered my axle took the teraflex bump stop extensions out, added a half inch spacer to the front Teraflex springs to help with the sagging spring problem and re-centered the steering wheel with the Procal.
The vibs were probably 95 percent gone on the drive home. It was amazing. I look forward to the drive to work tomorrow to see how that goes. I am also going to try and get the toe set on an alignment rack tomorrow and see how that goes. Hopefully that completely takes care of my vibs. I've been aggrevated by it for months. I think this might be my vibration fix. Atleast I have a nice rear drive shaft now.
post #19 of 57 Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTrail741 View Post
I have the same prob. Its pretty bad. The vibs resonate throughout the entire Jeep. It started after regearing to 5:13's. I replaced my rear drive shaft to a JE Reel and I still had the vibs. Took the front drive shaft out and still have the vibs.

I recently noticed my steering wheel was not straight so I checked out what was up with the suspension. I also noticed when coming to a stop I could actually feel the nobs on the tires as the jeep slowly rolled to a stop. I didn't have that when I first mounted those Nitto Trail Grapplers. First, my front axle was not centered by atleast a half inch and I noticed my front bump stops were pretty close to the axle pads. My front end was sagging. The rear end is still centered. Took a quick measurement and my toe seemed a bit off too. So tonight I recentered my axle took the teraflex bump stop extensions out, added a half inch spacer to the front Teraflex springs to help with the sagging spring problem and re-centered the steering wheel with the Procal.
The vibs were probably 95 percent gone on the drive home. It was amazing. I look forward to the drive to work tomorrow to see how that goes. I am also going to try and get the toe set on an alignment rack tomorrow and see how that goes. Hopefully that completely takes care of my vibs. I've been aggrevated by it for months. I think this might be my vibration fix. Atleast I have a nice rear drive shaft now.
Thx for the heads up FireTrail. I'm gonna take the Jeep in for an alignment (probably 3rd time in a very short period) sometime this week to make sure of everything. I do have OME coil spacers upfront to deal with the sag, especially after the Hemi install. I'm gonna check the bump stops like you mentioned. And I'm gonna change the track bar bolts while at it, from 14mm to a shouldered 9/16.

Last nite, I unbolted the steering stab and it seemed that when you tighten it's bolt on the drag link, it becomes "wedged" against the drag link, if you release the bolt, it wants to pops back outwards. It's an OME steering stab OMESD40 and from what I've seen, that is the not the correct one for the JK! THe right one would be OMESD48. The one I have is for older jeep models. Yet I did read on here somewhere that both work on the JK?

What a

post #20 of 57 Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well the steering stab shouldn't cause a vibration like that. Either should the bump stops. I mentioned the bump stops because I noticed that I didn't have much up travel at all. In order for that to happen, I new my axle had to shift to the passenger side.
post #21 of 57 Old 09-13-2012, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Btw, do you think under inflated tires would cause such a tremor? If you check my other thread about my power steering woes, you'd see how much trouble im having with my ps pumps. On a whim today i check my tire pressure, they were at 24/25 psi cold. I thought hey thats low even for 35" tires. Especially with the added weight of a hemi + arb bull bar + winch + other weight increasing stuff! So I pumped them to 30 psi, the steering felt imediatly lighter but did show so resistance, took them up to 33 psi, was even better. I think im gonna go up to 35 psi. Did not get a chance to test drive it yet, im hoping this tire pressure change would have a positive effect on the tremor/shake!

post #22 of 57 Old 09-13-2012, 05:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

low and behold, the freakin vibs are still there just not as bad so far. Why it didn't do it last night on the ride home nearly as bad, who knows? Although the Jeep drives a ton better and a little quieter. Off to the alignment shop today hopefully.
post #23 of 57 Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Geez! I know exactly how you feel! Frustration setting in i bet! Plz do tell what happens with you! Cheers!

post #24 of 57 Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well the alignment was done. The toe was slightly off but no big deal. It was pretty close and no change, I still have the vibs. Ultimate conclusion, my gear install was botched and that is causing the vibs. That is the only thing left. I have eliminated everything else. Not sure if it's the front or rear gears. The rears have been changed twice for other reasons. I have a new set front and rear. Follow up to come after the install.
post #25 of 57 Old 09-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Rock God

If your tremmor comes & goes in a regular pattern, it points to 2 things vibrating at slightly different frequencies. As they come into synch, you get constructive interference & feel it. When they are 180 degrees out of synch, you get destructive interference & feel nothing.

Usually this will be tyres, but you have sorted them pretty much. So I would be looking for something else that can go in & out of synch on that slightly different frequency. Your diffs may indeed be the culprit. What ratios did you get installed? The other thing could be slightly different tyre sizes front/rear due to wear, if the diffs were not done right, causing the slight vibration from the 2 of them to go in & out of synch like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode