Newbie Lookin for a little Help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 09-05-2012, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Newbie Lookin for a little Help

I have searched max tire size on stock rims and have found a lot but haven't read anything about stock 18" rims. Just bought a 2012 4dr Sahara and looking to do some mods in the near future. Thinking about Budget Boost or body lift (2" or so) and put some new rubber on. Thinking about BF Goods AT 285 or 295s. Not a hard wheeler or crawler but still want to be ready for camping and a little run now and than and want a nice look and I like the way it rides stock.

Had a 2000 TJ Sahara and did a 2" body with 32 x 11.5 and really liked the look.

Thanks for the Help and answering questions that I'm sure have been asked before.

I will Love Life, Not Fear Death and Sing My Song!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 AM
JKO Addict!

welcome and congrats on the jeep!

if you want to run a stock wheel you can run up to about a 12" wide tire and get away with it (it will rub though).

i'd look for a narrow 33 and do a levelling kit (like the tf kit).

you'll want 35's one day, but for what you described this should fit your needs.

also, tirewise. I'm personally not a big fan of the BFG AT. i've run several sets (i keep getting them for free) and i've never been impressed with them.

for an all terrain i prefer the Falken Wildpeaks. i've been nothing but impressed with them on and off road. I also saw an increase in my MPG vs the BFG AT's i took off my truck. They're quieter, have deeper tread, and last longer.

also the snow performance vs the BFG was very noticeable.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #3 of 20 Old 09-05-2012, 05:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Here's a 33x12.50x17 on aftermarket wheels (jeep has a leveling kit)

33x12.50x17 on stock wheels with a 2" budget boost (no wheel spacers)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-05-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks for the reply. I will look into the Falkens, haven't heard about them. Thanks for the pics. Looks nice!

post #5 of 20 Old 09-05-2012, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Ok after reading A LOT I'm thinking about a Teraflex Leveling kit to start off. Now my next questions are:

Should I get the "Performance" kit?

Does it change the ride compared to stock?

Should I change shocks?

Is there a better Leveling kit?

Does anyone know where in Maryland to get it done?

Thanks Again!!

post #6 of 20 Old 09-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Granite Guru

On my 2009 i'm running the Teraflex 2.5" BB with their shocks. The ride is harder and I feel every imperfection. This is good for offroad but it's also my daily driver. So, it's harsher than I would like. If I had to do it over again, I would save up and get a real lift with springs instead of puck spacers and moved up to a 3.5" or 4".

I'm also running Falkens Rocky Mountian (ATS) and the tires are REALLY nice. After the lift and taller/wider tires on my stock 17" rims, I did notice I needed spacers to prevent rubbing. I installed 1.25" Teraflex hubcentric spacers and it took care of it. Or was it 1.5"? I forget.

2009 JKU. ARB lockers. 4.88 gears. Dana 30 front. Dana 44 rear. 35" tires on factory rims with 1.75" hubcentric spacers.

Last edited by snipedu1st; 09-06-2012 at 12:19 AM.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-06-2012, 05:06 AM
Rock God

I would take a look at Rock Krawler 2.5" lift kits, they make three different versions depending on budget. They use progressive rate front springs. Combine those with Bilstein 5100 shocks, and you get an good daily ride. I run that exact set-up on mine. I'm in Ohio, and our roads turn to crap every winter due to potholes. The ride compared to stock is better and I drive it daily no problem.

As for the wheels and tires. I would save up and get a set of 16" wheels and tires to match [285/75/16]. Aftermarket wheels will push your tires out and give you that aggressive look [check your state laws for fender coverage], and tires will be a lot cheaper in the long run for a 16" wheel then an 18".

Wrangler Mountain Edition

Rock KrawlerSynergyJKSLoDGoodyear
post #8 of 20 Old 09-06-2012, 06:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipedu1st View Post
On my 2009 i'm running the Teraflex 2.5" BB with their shocks. The ride is harder and I feel every imperfection. This is good for offroad but it's also my daily driver. So, it's harsher than I would like. If I had to do it over again, I would save up and get a real lift with springs instead of puck spacers and moved up to a 3.5" or 4".

I'm also running Falkens Rocky Mountian (ATS) and the tires are REALLY nice. After the lift and taller/wider tires on my stock 17" rims, I did notice I needed spacers to prevent rubbing. I installed 1.25" Teraflex hubcentric spacers and it took care of it. Or was it 1.5"? I forget.
A 2.5 is going to make 33s look really small.

A leveling kit and shock extenders will ride just like stock.

post #9 of 20 Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Granite Guru

Depending on where you are in MD, Jeff at Adrenaline Offroad could help you out with installs and advice.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-06-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Micro,

Thanks, Jeff's not that far away. What kit do you have on your rig? Looks good!

post #11 of 20 Old 09-07-2012, 04:56 AM
JKO Addict!

You can buy coil spacers from poly in 3/4" and 1 3/4" for $20 a pair instead of buying a leveling kit. A bb should not affect the ride much since you will be using the same coils and shocks as before. If you are going to be running on the road you should be fine with just the spacers. If you start hitting the trails you might want to get some longer shocks and sway bar links.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
You can buy coil spacers from poly in 3/4" and 1 3/4" for $20 a pair instead of buying a leveling kit. A bb should not affect the ride much since you will be using the same coils and shocks as before. If you are going to be running on the road you should be fine with just the spacers. If you start hitting the trails you might want to get some longer shocks and sway bar links.
That's what I did for the black Jk above. Well. They were from nick but that's what he did and then gave em to me.

post #13 of 20 Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Where in Maryland are you?
post #14 of 20 Old 09-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoV18 View Post
Micro,

Thanks, Jeff's not that far away. What kit do you have on your rig? Looks good!
I have the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift with their shocks. Thanks for the compliment!
The tires are 315/70R17 DuraTracs. I think they measured out to about 34" on the ground with 28 psi.
You will need 1.5" wheel spacers if you run those with factory wheels.

Last edited by MicroMark; 09-07-2012 at 03:05 PM.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Micro,

Already have a set in my cart. Think I'm going with the Performance Leveling Kit. Get longer links and New Coils. Have a friend that runs a garage and he said he'll do it for a few dollars. Also thinking Fox shocks. Where should I look for those.

Assfrow,

Right up the road from you in Eldersburg.

post #16 of 20 Old 09-08-2012, 05:29 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Micro,

Already have a set in my cart. Think I'm going with the Performance Leveling Kit. Get longer links and New Coils. Have a friend that runs a garage and he said he'll do it for a few dollars. Also thinking Fox shocks. Where should I look for those.

Assfrow,

Right up the road from you in Eldersburg.
I work in Eldersburg. Shoot me a PM if you wants some help. If I'm not hammering away on one of my wife's projects I'd be happy to help.
post #17 of 20 Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Assfrow,

Thanks! Not sure when I'll have eveything together, $$, but should be near future. Even the wife wants me to do something. She calls it a "Baby Jeep" right now. So hopefully before we get snow or by the first of the year.

Thanks Again!!

post #18 of 20 Old 09-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
A 2.5 is going to make 33s look really small.

A leveling kit and shock extenders will ride just like stock.
This is what a 2.5 lift and 33s looks like on a 4 door

Ryan

BAM. Me, "wonder what that was?" Tom, "pretty sure it was the top of something coming into contact with the bottom of your Jeep."
Jersey
Crew
post #19 of 20 Old 09-10-2012, 11:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I have searched max tire size on stock rims and have found a lot but haven't read anything about stock 18" rims. Just bought a 2012 4dr Sahara and looking to do some mods in the near future. Thinking about Budget Boost or body lift (2" or so) and put some new rubber on. Thinking about BF Goods AT 285 or 295s. Not a hard wheeler or crawler but still want to be ready for camping and a little run now and than and want a nice look and I like the way it rides stock.

Had a 2000 TJ Sahara and did a 2" body with 32 x 11.5 and really liked the look.

Thanks for the Help and answering questions that I'm sure have been asked before.
Check these tires out,

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/Grabber-ATsup2-sup

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #20 of 20 Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Ryan,

I like the way that looks,NICE!! Who's lift and which one? What size rims, How much back space? I love the BFGs! Most important How does it ride?
Now you might have changed everything I thought I was going to do and cost me more $$. MAN!!!

Chief,

They like nice. Are you riding on those? Quiet or noisey?

Thanks Everyone for the input.

I'm so confused!!! LOL

Last edited by RoccoV18; 09-11-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode