Noise, whine or howl, under engine load? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-04-2012, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Noise, whine or howl, under engine load?

I've Googled for a bit now and I can't really seem to find anything fitting.

Jeep is in the sig line, 117k on the odometer. It has Rubicon axles in it, regeared a couple thousand miles ago to 5.38's with full install kits, housings themselves have around 40k on the front, 70k on the rear, front has RCV's, rear has Alloy Chromos. Stock driveshafts. Engine, trans, and tcase are all stock components. One manifold has been replaced. Jeep is running a PSC power steering pump.

Friday I noticed I was getting a bit of a whine driving down the road and thought maybe I had a wheel bearing going bad or a pulley going bad. Didn't think a ton of it because it was not overly loud, just something I could hear in the background.

Monday driving home from up north I noticed that the noise had gotten louder here are my findings:

Squealing, whining, howling noise
Location is kinda unknown
It is not louder with the windows down, in fact it seems to be harder to hear with my head outside the window than inside the jeep all sealed up
Noise starts around 30-35mph
Noise is only present when on the throttle. It immediately stops as soon as I let off the gas
Noise however does seem to show up when I'm coasting down at a stop, but the pitch kinda changes and it goes to more of a growling noise that sounds like it's "winding down", hard to explain
Noise is present in 2wd and 4wd
Noise doesn't seem to be steering input related
Noise doesn't seem to be AC related
No noise when its reved up in neutral
I did the hose stethoscope thing and didn't hear anything at idle out of the ordinary coming from the belt driven components.
I don't believe it makes any clunking noises going from P-R-N-D, this I have to double check though as my swaylock sway bar bushings are toast and it makes a lot of clunking.

Based on that my thoughts are something in the rear portion of the driveline. Gears, bearings, driveshaft, tcase output bearings...something.

Hopefully tonight I'll be able to get under there and take a look at it.

Do any of you guys have any usual suspects that come to mind?

I've never had a vehicle with this kind of driveshaft, what do you look for as far as wear goes? or is it something that will be quite apparent.

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

its your rear gears or bearings going, most likely from pinion depth or preload not set up correctly. The shop that did the gears should warranty it if they stand behind their work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #3 of 15 Old 09-04-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
its your rear gears or bearings going, most likely from pinion depth or preload not set up correctly. The shop that did the gears should warranty it if they stand behind their work.
This has been one of my concerns...I hope we are both wrong.

Tcase bearing has also been mentioned.

Hopefully tonight I will get under there and give it a look over.

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Rock God

put the rear axle on jackstands and have someone at the wheel and put it in drive. I did this (CAREFULLY) and sure as shit it's the rear diff. I put my hand on the diff cover and could feel the grinding. NO WAY was I getting under the jeep like this to make sure it wasn't driveshaft related. When Driving it actually sounds like it's coming from the front, but I've been told it's likely the noise & vibes being transmitted thru the driveshaft.

****** I don't have a rear bumper or tire handing off the back. if the jeep somehow fell off the jackstands, it wasn't landing on me. Also, I did this at a cousin's house on 3 acres so the jeep wasn't going to hit anything if it fell off the jackstands either.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account

Last edited by jkx0778; 09-04-2012 at 12:55 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkx0778 View Post
put the rear axle on jackstands and have someone at the wheel and put it in drive. I did this (CAREFULLY) and sure as shit it's the rear diff. I put my hand on the diff cover and could feel the grinding. NO WAY was I getting under the jeep like this to make sure it wasn't driveshaft related. When Driving it actually sounds like it's coming from the front, but I've been told it's likely the noise & vibes being transmitted thru the driveshaft.

****** I don't have a rear bumper or tire handing off the back. if the jeep somehow fell off the jackstands, it wasn't landing on me. Also, I did this at a cousin's house on 3 acres so the jeep wasn't going to hit anything if it fell off the jackstands either.
Sounds sketchy...

Specially when it would be the wife at the wheel and I've got a healthy jeep habit and a decent life insurance policy.

I suppose that could be done safely though. I'd imagine it wouldn't take much beyond just putting it in gear and letting it idle to feel if something is grinding. It may also allow me to see something else moving around too.

Well if no one hears from me again you will know it didn't work out good and the wife now has a paid off house.

post #6 of 15 Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I chickened out on the jackstand idea... I felt like seeing tomorrow.

I rode in the back and it does sound like its coming from rear of the jeep. Maybe more so on the passenger side.

Interesting is that when I put my ear right on the wheel wells you can't really hear it, but up a little bit its nice and clear.

I took a video of the sound earlier, but photobucket is being a bitch.

I changed the fluid and there was nothing in the fluid to be concerned with.

In turning the driveshaft by hand nothing feel like its grinding.

Tomorrow I'm going to pull the rear shaft out and see if the noise goes away in front wheel drive mode. That should eliminate anything but the ring and pinion.

A few things I learned today though is that it's totally speed dependent. Whether its 1000 rpm or 3000 rpm the sound is the same.

It actually seems to do it more when I am on the throttle on a level road or slightly down hill. If I'm going up hill and the Jeep has to work a little harder to keep speed it doesn't seem to do it as much.

I'm pretty sure the rear cover is going to come off too, but I figured I'll try all the low hanging fruit first.

post #7 of 15 Old 09-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Rock God

Yeah, I wasn't totally sold on the jackstand thing, but I did it on level ground (carport), chocked the front tires, and put the jackstands under the axle tubes. I stayed as far back as I could, just close enough to reach my hand out and put my palm on the diff cover only after I couldn't see anything else that it could be.

let us know what you find when you pull the diff cover. I have an appointment to get my gears done Friday. Those f'krs better come in!!

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #8 of 15 Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'll try to update this as I go.

One of my biggest pet peeves about these kinds of websites is that it seems like 90% of the time they are full of questions followed by suggestions...and that's where it ends with no solutions or results.

post #9 of 15 Old 09-05-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQR3...e_gdata_player

here's a quick video of the noise

if you turn your speakers up a little bit you can hear it well

post #10 of 15 Old 09-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Granite Guru

I think it might be your rear pinion bearing... I had the exact same symptom on my TJ a year ago. I ignored it until I heard a loud POP and then no power at the rear wheel

If I were you I would have this fixed ASAP.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-05-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I pulled out my rear driveshaft today.

First thing I noticed was a little bit of gear lube behind the rear driveshaft flange...odd. That doesn't even make sense to me.

But there was no play in the tcase output.

There was very little play in the rear yoke.

When I spun the rear yoke I did hear a little bit of a grind...this may well be my issue.

I took it for a test drive and the noise is either gone or reduced considerably.

Based on the comments and this info I'm leaning very much towards the pinion bearing...

Thanks for the input. I'll keep updating as well.

post #12 of 15 Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQR3...e_gdata_player

here's a quick video of the noise

if you turn your speakers up a little bit you can hear it well
I watched the video & I have the same noise after I had a reputable shop install my rear drive shaft from Stompers. It's weird though the noise only presents itself at 15mph & is gone by 20mph. I need to have it checked out again...
post #13 of 15 Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It is definitely your pinion not setup right, bring it back to the shop that did the gears. I've been through that twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #14 of 15 Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
It is definitely your pinion not setup right, bring it back to the shop that did the gears. I've been through that twice.
Why would it have taken a few thousand miles for this to start up?

post #15 of 15 Old 09-17-2018, 06:05 AM

Did you ever get this fixed? I have the same noise.

2007 Sahara JKU Auto, 2.5” TeraFlex lift, 35X12.50.50r18 General Grabber X3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode