2 door- back seat accessability - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2 door- back seat accessability

I took my dad shopping for a 2 door for under 15,000$ so we looked at several 2004's, 5's , 6's but when we got to an '07 ..............holy crap I damn near killed myself trying to get in and out of the back seat.

Why the heck did they stop making the tilt up seat, is it really this hard ? I mean there was only about 6" at the bottom of the seat to the B pillar and the seat belt almost hung me!

I've got to say that this could be a deal breaker between an '07 or an older one.

I must say that I am so glad that as a family we went with the 4 door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000ft View Post
I took my dad shopping for a 2 door for under 15,000$ so we looked at several 2004's, 5's , 6's but when we got to an '07 ..............holy crap I damn near killed myself trying to get in and out of the back seat.

Why the heck did they stop making the tilt up seat, is it really this hard ? I mean there was only about 6" at the bottom of the seat to the B pillar and the seat belt almost hung me!

I've got to say that this could be a deal breaker between an '07 or an older one.

I must say that I am so glad that as a family we went with the 4 door.
I found an easy way of fixing that on my 08.I took the backseat out....problem solved.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #3 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
I found an easy way of fixing that on my 08.I took the backseat out....problem solved.
Ours is in the garage, with the rugs. Only time we use it is with the top off. Just climb over the side on the tire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Official sponsor of the Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Granite Guru

For 2008 and newer they changed how the seatbelt is mounted. It helps some.

mark

2010 Rubicon Silver
Rugged Ridge XHD front Bumper
Shorty Antenna
post #5 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Wheeler

If you need a back seat, don't buy a two door....
post #6 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

My brother-in-law has a 2012 and it has the tilt seat. Much easier to get into it than my 2010. But I've had my backseat in twice in the last 6 months, so... whatever.

RK 2.5" Flex - Body Armor Front Bumper - Superwinch 8500 lb - Rigid Industries Dually Flood Lights and Diffused Reverse Light - G2 Gear & Axle Diff Covers - Dynomax Exhaust - Drake Off-Road Billet Knobs - Oliver's Driveshafts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
Coming to JKO to get educated on politics is like a marathoner watching the Special Olympics to get technique pointers.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

the back seat is needed for my 8 year old son (his grandson) to ride in and it was even difficult for him to in and out.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Granite Guru

Go 4 door...

When I was looking I literally looked from the east to the west for a 2005 - 2006 LJ because I wanted the extra space. When I kept coming up empty (or looking at the price for a new JK) I decided on new. As much as I wanted a 2 door I had to be honest with myself about my 6 y/o son getting in and out with his friends. I was at the dealer working on transferring a 2 dr from MI when my GF suggested we go to the beach for Labor Day w/e. (she had no clue I was there).

I knew then that I needed a 4 door.

I agree if you need the back seat then I suggest the 4 door.

Oh yeah. The only two things I would change; I would have gone with half doors and an auto.

I would google pics of the JKU with half doors. if you want an idea of how they look.

If 2 door is the only consideration then I would continue looking for 2005-06 LJ

Good Luck
post #9 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 02:37 AM
Rock God

My kids just climb up the tire and over the sides. If the "family" is in the jeep then there is a 100% chance it does not have a top on it!

Courtesy of Hit - "You should only fuck the fuckable.. to fuck the unfuckable or to un-fuck the fuckable is like crossing streams in Ghost Busters"
post #10 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 05:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000ft View Post
the back seat is needed for my 8 year old son (his grandson) to ride in and it was even difficult for him to in and out.
My kids climb onto the seat and then go between the seats to get in the back makes for dirty seats but it is way faster and easy for them.

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

It’s time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Let’s get it together, America.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Got a 5 and 8 year old ...no issues getting them into the back seat. They've figured out many ways to crawl back there.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #12 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

They returned to the tilt forward seat with the 2011 interior redesign.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_f70 View Post
My kids just climb up the tire and over the sides. If the "family" is in the jeep then there is a 100% chance it does not have a top on it!
Sounds like my house. Even my 3yr old can easily climb over the wheels into his booster seat.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Rock God

I tell everyone including adults to just go between the seats to get to the back seat. Mine is an 07 and its comical trying to watch an adult fit behind the front seat and get around the seat belt. I really don't know what chrysler was thinking on that one. At least they somewhat fixed it on later models.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #15 of 17 Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
They returned to the tilt forward seat with the 2011 interior redesign.
Dammit!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
My kids climb onto the seat and then go between the seats to get in the back makes for dirty seats but it is way faster and easy for them.
X2 I haven't used the tilt feature on my 11' but a handful of times. Its either climb over the center or the top is off and they climb over the sides or back.

2011 Sport 2dr - SOLD
2013 JKU Sport - SOLD
2014 JKU Sport - Wife's DD
2015 JKU Sport - New Hotness
post #17 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 07:07 AM
Granite Guru

There is a mod to move the lower seatbelt mount to the rear seat mount on the '07s. It does make for slightly easier entry to the back seat (easier being relative to the contortions needed currently), but I noticed the seatbelt tended to 'lock' during fast cornering or hard accellerations.
After a dozen times of the wife complaining about the seatbelt being locked, I moved the mount point back to the side of the seat where it was and removed the rear seat completely.
the dog was happy...the folded up rear seat became his bed next to the dining room window til I traded off the two door.

There is only ONE good reason for getting a two door if you have passengers.

*the 'view' when some cute girl is getting in the back seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode