Hot Oil Message - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 09-02-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
JNV
Wheeler

Hot Oil Message

I was four wheeling in the sand, and after a short while i got a hot oil message on the dash. This is the first time i have gotten this message. I was in 4hi going around 20mph (2008 Jeep 4door Unlimited)
Is this normal?
Anyone else have this trouble?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-02-2012, 03:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Very normal actually, your trans is destroying itself. 4-hi, low speed and very high load [sand] is making a ton of heat. You need an auxiliary transmission cooler. asap.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-02-2012, 03:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Very normal actually, your trans is destroying itself. 4-hi, low speed and very high load [sand] is making a ton of heat. You need an auxiliary transmission cooler. asap.
That, and also be in 4-lo. You don't want to cruise for extended periods in 4-hi with an auto unless you have a trans cooler.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 09-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Garage

Any one else thought the title of this thread reads "Hot Oil Massage"...

But yeah trany cooler.. I Like the PSC Dual cooler setup. Need to do this to Smurfette at some point.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/featur...al-cooler.html

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #5 of 19 Old 09-02-2012, 04:26 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post

But yeah trany cooler.. I Like the PSC Dual cooler setup. Need to do this to Smurfette at some point.

Yea but i think this will end up with a not so happy ending
post #6 of 19 Old 09-02-2012, 04:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Only reason I clicked on it

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #7 of 19 Old 09-02-2012, 04:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Not to derail, but I have been meaning to ask this for a while,....why is it that manual tranny's never have issues with overheating (or at least with the JK's you dont hear of it happening)? Is it because of the fact that the auto has so many more moving parts that contributes to the temp increase vs the manual?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #8 of 19 Old 09-02-2012, 04:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Not to derail, but I have been meaning to ask this for a while,....why is it that manual tranny's never have issues with overheating (or at least with the JK's you dont hear of it happening)? Is it because of the fact that the auto has so many more moving parts that contributes to the temp increase vs the manual?
Torque converter = major heat generator. When a rig is under a heavy load, say trying to crawl up the face of a rock and under-geared. The engine is turning at say 2000rpm, the wheels are being powered but the Jeep isn't moving. Well that 2000rpm and the torque generated goes somewhere, that torque converter is lit up like if a manual just sat there and just slightly slipped the clutch enough to stop movement but transfer power. The clutch has no option but to slip/generate heat and fail, but the automatic can dissipate that heat through fluid heat exchangers. Not enough surface area and air-flow through the heat exchangers and you'll overheat the fluid in a hurry.

A manual can create a good amount of heat if you slip the clutch enough, but it's dissipated through the flywheel and clutch wear.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #9 of 19 Old 09-02-2012, 11:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

No, you're not

Install a cooler. I need to do the same and quit just telling people to install one.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #10 of 19 Old 09-02-2012, 11:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
No, you're not

Install a cooler. I need to do the same and quit just telling people to install one.
That makes two of us.

Greg
post #11 of 19 Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 AM

This weekend was my second off-road trip in the Rubi, and I saw this same message after a few hours of relatively easy trail running. I had it in 2wd all day, then while going up a decent sized hill (in D with O/D off) I got my first warning. I immediately pulled over and shut her down for about a half hour. Started it back up and decided to try it in 4-Hi. Message came back about 10 minutes later and almost immediately, it popped out of gear. It acted like the tranny had completely gone. Could not get forward or backward movement in any gear, 2wd or 4wd...and was waaaay out in the middle of nowhere. Let it sit for about an hour while I weighed my options. Fired her back up and everything seemed normal so I limped back to camp, then cut my trip short and headed home first thing this morning.

Having been working on cars for many years, I know that tranny problems only get worse with time, not better. Has anyone had any luck trying to get a transmission replaced that was damaged due to regular usage like this? I'm going to take it into my dealer on Tuesday, but am anticipating behind told to pound sand. Just curious to hear if anyone else had any luck with this.
post #12 of 19 Old 09-03-2012, 05:23 AM
JKO Addict!

2wd is almost just as hard on the trans as 4-hi. Good luck on getting the trans replaced, unless it's showing current problems, the fluid is black, they'll probably tell you to pound sand. But they can also likely see your speed, transfer case setting, etc when it lit and tell you were off-road..

post #13 of 19 Old 09-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Rock God

I installed an aux transmission cooler, and installed a mechanical fan on the water pump pulley, with the shroud on the radiator that goes with it.
It constantly pulls air through the grill.

Here is a link to the thread. It describes some of the benefits, and drawbacks of the conversion.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76475

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #14 of 19 Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Rock God

I never understood why some people try to wheel in any gear other than 4Low.

You should change your fluid AND filter immediately. I'd bring it to the dealer for fluid change and complain of the hot oil message, document it, and hope that when (not if) the tranny goes, it's under warranty. How old, how many miles do you have on it? What power train warranty do you have?

AdamIsAdam

Adam
First Jeep:

(heavily modded and wheeled!)
Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
Wrangler MT/R 35x12.5x15 on Soft 8's for the trails.
Duratrac 35" on Dick Cepek's for DD'ers.
5.13s, TF 2.5" Coil Lift, LCAs, & track bar, Mopar bumpers, WARN 9.5ti, diff covers, lots o' skids, EVAP relocated, breathers extended, ALLGIG, backup cam, Soundcoat Absorbtion Panels, and more...
post #15 of 19 Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
Any seat time at all in a manual off-road and one would know very quickly what is going on. Unfortunately the automatic eats up a bunch of slippage without really telling a driver that isn't paying attention. I know I can't do much of anything in 2wd or 4-hi without really working the clutch, 4low it is.

post #16 of 19 Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
This weekend was my second off-road trip in the Rubi, and I saw this same message after a few hours of relatively easy trail running. I had it in 2wd all day, then while going up a decent sized hill (in D with O/D off) I got my first warning. I immediately pulled over and shut her down for about a half hour.
Two issues I see right there.
First no problem with doing "light" trail runs at 2/4 Hi but then manually shift the tranny down to keep the torque converter on as light a load as possible. Second the engine off when you get the hot oil message is the wrong thing to do since the heat that is already there cannot dissipate sufficiently/quickly. Per owners manual keep the engine running with the tranny in neutral when you get the Hot Oil message, that way the tranny fluid keeps circulating through the cooler lowering the temps quicker and it avoids "hot spots" in the tranny.

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #17 of 19 Old 09-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
Some times you get caught.... I have a tranny cooler... Last night we had a Bon fire on the outer beach, party broke up about 1 am, I was in 2wd leaving the beach and one of the County employee's was sunk in deep.

Pulled out the snatch strap, thru it in 4 hi, about 20 tugs to get him up to the
Dirt road, like Goody said all that power turned to heat = hot oil light. With hind sight I should have gone down to the water line and rolled it into 4 low. Even the tranny cooler has freaking hot to the touch
post #18 of 19 Old 09-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
Two issues I see right there.
First no problem with doing "light" trail runs at 2/4 Hi but then manually shift the tranny down to keep the torque converter on as light a load as possible. Second the engine off when you get the hot oil message is the wrong thing to do since the heat that is already there cannot dissipate sufficiently/quickly. Per owners manual keep the engine running with the tranny in neutral when you get the Hot Oil message, that way the tranny fluid keeps circulating through the cooler lowering the temps quicker and it avoids "hot spots" in the tranny.
Yeah that ^^^ Put it in neutral and also raise the idle rpm's up for a bit.

Using the lower gearing also keeps the rpm's up and the trans pump running faster. Faster running trans pump = more circulation through the trans cooler as well.

But..... you really do need an auxiliary cooler.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Granite Guru

A Cooler is needed also just keep the AC on when going up hill.

Sent using one thumb from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode