finally getting my jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

finally getting my jeep

ok looking @ maybe tax time if not sooner depending on if i can get a great deal.. will try for a `12 bc i can get a better deal

questions:
all i want is a weekend low-mid lvl trail and crawler

if i get a JKU sport.
1: can i run 35s and be ok doing what i want as long as i sleeve n gusset the front D30

2: 6 Speed or Auto? the wife and I can drive both so...

3: is the 4:1 Tcase on the rubi really worth it or will i do just fine with the sport package?

anything else i should look out for

I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon it was Death, and Hell followed with it. REV:6.8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Rock God

Don't want to come off as sounding like a jerk, but all of those questions have been covered extensively. Use the search function at the top right.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 10:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Just get a rubi you will be impressed what it will do stock, it will handle most of the type of trails your talking about doing.

I have a manual and love it.

And what he ^^^ said searching is easy don't be afraid to use it.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 10:13 AM
JKO Addict!

First, search is your friend. If not here, google your question and include jkowners and you're likely to find about 827 questions asked on the same topic.

Best piece of advice I can offer is regardless of what you buy, wheel it stock before ever building it. More so if you've never wheeled. Learn how to wheel, pick a line and that fun chit that goes into wheeling. You'll never know what you can do in a stock rig until you learn how to handle it.

Stick/Auto, it's a matter of preference. If you do a lot of highway driving, the auto will give you better mileage in the long run.

Is the Rubi worth it. Really it all depends on how you plan to wheel your junk. If you'll be mostly rock crawling, then I'd say yes. If you'll be wheeling in areas where there is often mud, then go with a sport as the 4:1 will be more of a hindrance than a help when in 4lo. The standard transfer case has a better crawl ratio for dealing with mud and sand.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Rock God

I'll reiterate the sentiments of all above posters in saying that search is your friend. You'll find a nice bit of information to supplement the responses you find here.

But I'll bite and help out.

1: It depends. You should be OK, and you may even be OK without sleeving your axle. It will depend on several factors, including tire weight/load range, wheel weight, and how you wheel. If you're a technical wheeler, you've got a better chance of being OK than if you're a rock bouncing throttle jockey.

I've run a set of 35s on a D30 front without sleeves or gussets for a while now, and have not had any problems other than my ball joints going bad (but the factory ones are junk IMO anyway). I tend to be more of a technical wheeler.

You will arguably get more value out of upgrading your shafts instead of sleeving your housing.

2: It depends. This is purely a preference issue.

Some guys like wheeling autos because they can focus on brake/throttle instead of brake/throttle/clutch/shifter. I personally like a manual transmission ... for many reasons. On the trails, I believe it gives me more control.

3: It depends. Ditto on what kkuntz01 said. If your rig will see a lot of highway time in 4wd (for whatever reason), you may unnecessarily tax your engine with the 4:1 transfer case on top your lower gearing (assuming you swap out your factory 3.21/3.73/4.10 gears for something in the 4.88/5.13 range). The Sport/Sahara transfer case will work just fine for a lot of wheeling applications.

Other things to consider: Rubicons have electronic lockers, Sports/Saharas don't. Rubicons have a slightly beefier D44 front.

Do you plan to build it up at all in the future? Depending on how far you want to push your build (and in what direction), a Rubicon premium may not be worth it. For example... Do you prefer air lockers? Are you going to run 40"+ tires? Would you like get a higher crawl ratio than you can get with a 4:1 transfer case (e.g. with an Atlas or similar transfer case)?

TL;DR: Evaluate your use cases and preferences prior to next year's tax season, and that will help you decide between the Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon models.

post #6 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Granite Guru

Get a Rubicon. Front and rear lockers are part of the package. I wouldn't worry about the 4:1 in mud, just leave it in 4hi for mud. My Rubicon is a weekend toy, and my build will never get wild enough to need 1tons. If you were building an all out crawler you would get a sport and swap in much stronger axles.

2015 Rubicon - RC 2.5" - home made stubby
old rig - 2012 Rubicon - RK 2.5", 35" KM2s on 15" MB72s, Engo E9000 on Smittybilt SRC, Bestop Trektop NX
post #7 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Wheeler

The rubicon is a great platform to start from. You can also hack the lockers so you can use then in 4hi too(to cover the dreaded MUD situation).
post #8 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Get a Rubicon and get an auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Trust me. I want a Rubi. But I don't thing finances will allow it.. I can't get a strait answer on a price with my tread lightly membership.. the rubi would work great for what I want. Just a small lift, bigger tires, and an or Fab tire/can carrier on the back. And white lights everywhere... other than that she will be stock. (Might trim the fenders and go stock stubby).. that's why I'm asking as I am... want the best for my money and seeing as I'm military I don't make much so...

I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon it was Death, and Hell followed with it. REV:6.8

post #10 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 05:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Absoluetly get a rubicon auto! Wheeling in the rocks with a non rubi tcase and a manual tranny, even if you regear, sucks balls. unless you plan on replacing all those stock components for bigger and better soon after, your better off having it from the get go, I know I wish I did.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #11 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 05:35 PM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Absoluetly get a rubicon auto! Wheeling in the rocks with a non rubi tcase and a manual tranny, even if you regear, sucks balls. unless you plan on replacing all those stock components for bigger and better soon after, your better off having it from the get go, I know I wish I did.
Idk man, I wouldn't trade my manual for an auto ever. I feel disconnected when driving an auto.

I would love a rubicon t-case but I'll keep my transmission thanks.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OK here is a big question.... was the 3.8 really that bad.. I mean. If I can find a used 3.8 jku with low miles would it be fixable as a toy as well? Or should I stay with a 12+ and the wife is asking about the soft top option versus a hardtop BC if the "what if it starts raining" argument

post #13 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenjda101 View Post
ok looking @ maybe tax time if not sooner depending on if i can get a great deal.. will try for a `12 bc i can get a better deal

questions:
all i want is a weekend low-mid lvl trail and crawler

if i get a JKU sport.
1: can i run 35s and be ok doing what i want as long as i sleeve n gusset the front D30

2: 6 Speed or Auto? the wife and I can drive both so...

3: is the 4:1 Tcase on the rubi really worth it or will i do just fine with the sport package?

anything else i should look out for
Been wheelin Jeeps for 40yrs. Presently have an 09 JKx. have 2 inch lift and 32 inch tires. I can go most anywhere the "big tires" can go. I just have to be a little more creative. Sometimes I have to take the "go around" but I have just as much fun. My JK is also my go to vehicle. I drive it to work every day. You can't loose with a Jeep..
post #14 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OR tata Trail Guide View Post
Been wheelin Jeeps for 40yrs. Presently have an 09 JKx. have 2 inch lift and 32 inch tires. I can go most anywhere the "big tires" can go. I just have to be a little more creative. Sometimes I have to take the "go around" but I have just as much fun. My JK is also my go to vehicle. I drive it to work every day. You can't loose with a Jeep..
BTW I wouldn't trade my manual 6spd for an auto trans if there was a HUGE rebate involved. You want to feel the trail, get a manual trans. Is a "Rube" t-case worth the extra money? Experiance the standard first, then tell me it is not capable.....
post #15 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenjda101 View Post
OK here is a big question.... was the 3.8 really that bad.. I mean. If I can find a used 3.8 jku with low miles would it be fixable as a toy as well? Or should I stay with a 12+ and the wife is asking about the soft top option versus a hardtop BC if the "what if it starts raining" argument
The 3.8 isn't that bad, but it's no speed demon. If you add a bunch of weight to your rig, you may get the itch to make some under the hood mods. It all depends on your preference and driving/wheeling style.

As for soft top vs hard top, I prefer my soft top. I have both, but I like the soft top better. I like the flexibility of taking the top off and putting it on at will, and I like hearing more road noise. Again, this is a preference issue .

You'll find that most of this thread boils down to preference.

post #16 of 19 Old 09-01-2012, 01:16 AM

When I bought my '12 in November, the dealer was out of manuals except for the one I drove (pre-sold to a rental car company). They threw in the auto for free since they were out of stock on manuals. I should have held out. Mine is a Sport... more than enough options (who needs power windows??), but wished I had a higher gear setup than the 3.73 I have now. Auto-stick blows. Installing the hitch next week for the 8x5 trailer I bought, so I'll fill you in later on power loss/performance.
post #17 of 19 Old 09-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Wheeler

As stated, go with the Rubi!
post #18 of 19 Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Rock God

I would shop around for a used rubi. The money you save will be worth it and can always be used to make a few mods. The 3.8 isnt bad if your just using it as a weekend toy just dont add 1000lbs of bumpers and armor and expect it to feel like a sports car.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i wanna use it as my Daily and weekend trail runner and im looking around but 09+ rubi's are hard to find

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode