lockers........front or rear that is the question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

lockers........front or rear that is the question

Hey I have another stupid question. I want to install lockers on my Saraha. Which should I install, the front or the rear........ I plan to do both but money always seems to be a factor in my decision making these days. Maybe I should say the lack of money. Right now I can only afford to do one at a time just wondering front or rear and why if anyone can tell me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Granite Guru

It really depends on what your doing. Having both Front & rear, you'll see the difference. On my JK, first choice in locking has been the front, as I have only been on dirt runs & climbs, at this point. With front locked, its alot like a front wheel drive, as you "pull" yourself through the course. May be a completely different story when I hit the granite.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #3 of 15 Old 04-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule'Con View Post
It really depends on what your doing. Having both Front & rear, you'll see the difference. On my JK, first choice in locking has been the front, as I have only been on dirt runs & climbs, at this point. With front locked, its alot like a front wheel drive, as you "pull" yourself through the course. May be a completely different story when I hit the granite.
X2 on the front. IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-11-2009, 07:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would do rear first and do the front later.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Rock God

Does your Sahara have the limited slip in the rear? If so, you MUST put the locker in the front. The JK LSD/BLD combo really impressed me when I had it, throw in a front locker with that and you're runnin' with the big dogs. If not then you're back to lookin' at what you do as Mule'Con already said. The front locker is really a momentary thing you throw on for a specific obstacle. You can't really steer much with it on, but it sure helps to pull you up, or down a large shelf or passages of large rocks. If you're doing more slippery stuff where you need traction for longer periods of time then rear is what you should get. Of course just to a little, I'll say if you don't have a winch, get that first. A winch will do everything a locker can, but a locker can't do everything a winch will.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-11-2009, 07:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Based on what you said, definitely start with the rear first and as finances permit add a front down the road. A rear locker will help you with most situations offroad whether it's mud, rocks, sand or snow, of course a front makes it all easier but a rear locker is the place to start.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-11-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Good info ........makes sense. Sounds like for what I'm doing now, I will lock the rear. I/m hoping I can lock the front pretty soon. Thanks
post #8 of 15 Old 04-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule'Con View Post
On my JK, first choice in locking has been the front
Did you re-wire the lockers on your rubicon so they are independently or is the switching stock? Just curious because you cannot run the front on its own stock.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Did you re-wire the lockers on your rubicon so they are independently or is the switching stock? Just curious because you cannot run the front on its own stock.
You are correct. Right now, stock set up is no lock-rear locked-rear & front locked. But after another 10k or so miles, might have to look at an independent switch.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #10 of 15 Old 04-13-2009, 09:04 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
Based on what you said, definitely start with the rear first and as finances permit add a front down the road. A rear locker will help you with most situations offroad whether it's mud, rocks, sand or snow, of course a front makes it all easier but a rear locker is the place to start.
X2 A locked rear will be more useful than just a locked front, also having just a locked front will place additional stress on the front drive line and more likely lead to broken stuff. That said if you have a limited slip in the rear I'd do the front first, then the rear.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I have done just the front first on a couple rigs.

What kind of locker are you looking at? Selectable or lunchbox? I think that will change some of the answers you get.

If it is selectable I say do the front.

If it is automatic, here are a few things the way I see it.

Rear is the classic one to do first. I feel it is more well rounded and helps in most situations. It is more invisible on the street then the front. A drawback is that it is always on.

Doing the front first is what I have done in a couple rigs. It is more noticable on the street so you will have to be ok when turning sharp in a parking lot, etc. I feel the front is better in most situations except one. Having the front locked in off camber slippery situations can be worse then a open diff. as the tires spin it causes the rig to "cut" downhill. Other then that situation I feel front is seperior to rear. The JK as a pretty good BDS system so which ever you lock first the other end will have a sudo locker however, I feel the BDS works better in the rear then the front. People say that driving in 4x4 on icy roads with a front auto locker will put you in the ditch. I have had one in the front for 6-7 years and have not noticed that issue and have driven lots of icy roads.

So in the end, selectable, do the front. If auto, I like the front but it is more hassel. Auto in the rear I don't think gives you as buch benefit but you also don't get any negative. Invisible in the rear
post #12 of 15 Old 04-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
also having just a locked front will place additional stress on the front drive line and more likely lead to broken stuff.
I agree, one think I forgot to mention is with a locked front you have to drive more conscious of the fact it is there. I have yet to break anything with my Aussie in the front but I also try not to turn to sharp on the rocks in 4x, etc
post #13 of 15 Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

All I have to say is that:

I have LSD rear / BLD up-front.

On numerous occasions, I have to back off and punch it slightly to get my rear wheels up on "real" traction b/c even w/ the BLD, I can't keep one wheel up front on enough torque to pull me up enough to get the backwheels on traction.

This is on the rocks. On dirt? I don't need either, as far as I can tell.

So, for me, a front aussie locker or selectable locker will be bought long before a rear locker. The LSD in the rear works well enough once my front wheels have some semblance of traction.

!c
post #14 of 15 Old 04-14-2009, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

OK now yall got me to thinkin a little differently. I do have LSD with 373s, so maybe I should go with the front for now. I really like Auburn Gear the ECTED Locker. Any thoughts on this Brand. I don't want to go with the air lockers and I don't really like the OX cable system either. I prolly never get too extreme with this JK it's my daily driver and I will prolly never get into extreme trails .......just kinda moderate stuff. But still having FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its a lot better than a sharp stick in the eye.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Banned

what size of tire do you plan to run?

I have heard from people with 35+ tires taht they can slip. Really they are a glorified LSD but that may be perfect for you. If the locker lets the tires slip a little it could save you from some potential breakage. Slpiage is not all that bad unless you absolutley need it locked solid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode