Huge lean with RK lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Huge lean with RK lift

Just got done installing my X Factor RK 3.5 Lift this weekend, but im having 2 issues now that im finished with it.

My first problem is I have a huge lean on my passenger side.

-The coils are correct, and seated correctly
-Trackbar set to measurements RK supplied
-Full tank of gas
-Brand new Bilstein shocks
-The front/back axles arent centered yet.

My second issue is my rear axle, it seems to be twisted to much to where my coils are slanted. I have set the uppers/lowers to the exact spec that RK supplied.

-My rear axle is not yet centered
-Trackbar is set to the measurements RK supplied

Any ideas on what to do to solve these issues?

Thanks alot !!
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Rock God

I had similar issues with my RK stock mod. Had a lean to the passenger side of as much as .75 of an inch and the so called "great customer service" from RK that everyone talked about, I didnt get it. I took pictures ect and got a hokey ass answer and when I did what they recommended I still had a lean. Hopefully they can get you squared away.

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
post #3 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieJK View Post
I had similar issues with my RK stock mod. Had a lean to the passenger side of as much as .75 of an inch and the so called "great customer service" from RK that everyone talked about, I didnt get it. I took pictures ect and got a hokey ass answer and when I did what they recommended I still had a lean. Hopefully they can get you squared away.
Thanks, I figured I would ask here first since alot of people seem to have these RK lifts and some have the same issue with the leaning problem on passenger side. If no one has a solution I will be giving RK a call tommarrow.

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Granite Guru

I know they make coil wedges that will fix your crooked coils. As for the lean I cannot say...
post #5 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 03:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieJK View Post
Did you send us in pictures, alignment specs etc? We try our best to provide solid answers to the best of our ability.

RK
post #6 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyWagon View Post
I know they make coil wedges that will fix your crooked coils. As for the lean I cannot say...
Coil wedges installed already, I might have to adjust the Upper CA in the rear but then I will be throwing off my pinion angle. I dont know thats why im hoping someone can help me out here.

Thanks
Dan
post #7 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 03:23 PM
JKO Addict!

The critical items when it comes to getting your vehicle to sit level are as follows;

Items that effect the positioning of your coil springs. Simply looking at your coil springs can tell you alot about what is going on.

-Side to side centering of the axle (track bar adjustment)
-Forward and aft positioning of the axle
-For the front axle, the proper caster settings since without them the spring pads will be rotated and the coils will not accept load correctly
-For the rear, the pinion angle needs to be down 2 to 3 degrees from the driveshaft or the coil spring mounts on the axle will be over rotated from their intended positioning.

Any sway bar preload should be neutralized with the adjustability of the end links. You can actually preload them to rotate the body of a vehicle if need be.

We don't just sell systems, we build tons of jeeps here in an effort to keep our techs as well trained as possible. But, when it comes to customer service we do our best. In order to do so we need as good as information as possible and someone with some descent knowledge of what is going on in their vehicle on the other end of the phone. If one small detail is lost, the problem or issue might never be solved.

Hope that helps. Do not hesitate to give us a shout. We are here to help.

RK
post #8 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Granite Guru

Just call Rock Krawler. I am sure they will help you. Just ask them first.
post #9 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Did you send us in pictures, alignment specs etc? We try our best to provide solid answers to the best of our ability.

RK
Did it all. Ive just learned to deal with the lean.

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
post #10 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
The critical items when it comes to getting your vehicle to sit level are as follows;

Items that effect the positioning of your coil springs. Simply looking at your coil springs can tell you alot about what is going on.

-Side to side centering of the axle (track bar adjustment)
-Forward and aft positioning of the axle
-For the front axle, the proper caster settings since without them the spring pads will be rotated and the coils will not accept load correctly
-For the rear, the pinion angle needs to be down 2 to 3 degrees from the driveshaft or the coil spring mounts on the axle will be over rotated from their intended positioning.

Any sway bar preload should be neutralized with the adjustability of the end links. You can actually preload them to rotate the body of a vehicle if need be.

We don't just sell systems, we build tons of jeeps here in an effort to keep our techs as well trained as possible. But, when it comes to customer service we do our best. In order to do so we need as good as information as possible and someone with some descent knowledge of what is going on in their vehicle on the other end of the phone. If one small detail is lost, the problem or issue might never be solved.

Hope that helps. Do not hesitate to give us a shout. We are here to help.

RK
Im going to head out and adjust my upper CAs to set the shocks more straight. As for the lean I will get the axles centered tommarrow and see how everything sets in place and if the same issue remains ill give you guys a call.

Thanks
Dan

*Any word on the front brakes lines, im still waiting on mine from you guys since you guys didnt have any in stock.
post #11 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon90 View Post
Just got done installing my X Factor RK 3.5 Lift this weekend, but im having 2 issues now that im finished with it.

My first problem is I have a huge lean on my passenger side.
How big is the lean when you're in the driver seat?
There are about 130 pounds of fuel on the passenger side which will cause some lean that likely will be offset with you in the driver seat. You can spacer the passenger side coils if it annoys you too much.

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #12 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Rock God

Oh and is the lean you're showing with the front sway bar connected or disconnected?

2010 JKU Sahara
post #13 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
Oh and is the lean you're showing with the front sway bar connected or disconnected?
It's with them disconnected, but I still wouldn't think it would lean that much. So what am I suppose to do when I bring a passenger when I go wheeling, have them sit in the back behind me? It looks like its off about 2" I didn't measure I have it ripped apart again now to adjust the rear.
post #14 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Rock God

Remember that there measurements are not exact, just a starting point for you to start with. Hope this helps.

2012 SLV JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #15 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon90 View Post
It's with them disconnected, but I still wouldn't think it would lean that much. So what am I suppose to do when I bring a passenger when I go wheeling, have them sit in the back behind me? It looks like its off about 2" I didn't measure I have it ripped apart again now to adjust the rear.
First get your axles centered to rule out that variable.
You can swap left and right springs to rule out the possibility of a spring being incorrect.
Make sure your rear swaybar links are the same length to begin with, a shorter SB link on the passenger side can increase the lean
With less load the progressive front springs will have a higher deflection on weight imbalance than with a higher overall load in the jeep so you might not see as much lean with a passenger added

2010 JKU Sahara
post #16 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 04:35 PM
JKowners Vendor

Please do your self a favor and take advantage of RK's offer to help...call and talk to a tech..both of you. Something is incorrect and no reason to live with it.

I have a 3.5” X Factor Plus System and it sets perfectly...so do many other RK owners

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #17 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Rock God

either you can troubleshoot this to hell and back, or you can save yourself a lot of time and get a spring spacer. it pissed me off to no end that i was going to have to get a spring spacer because it wasnt "right" but i went with it and now i have no more lean.

also, dont feel bad. this isnt an isolated RK deal... its a jeep thing. some guys have the lean from the factory off the dealer's lot.
post #18 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Granite Guru

This passenger side lean really should be addressed better. I have the same exact thing on my JKUR and I really don't think that you should sell a kit that has this many people with the SAME lean.

I have done many suspension installs on cars and trucks and it has driven me crazy to try to figure out the suspension lean.

I have had everything aligned, axles centered and even took the jeep to a shop and paid them to double check everything I did in case I missed something and it was all checked out to be good.

It almost seems as if there was a batch of springs or some component that has been incorrectly built and shipped out causing the same problem.

I will be calling RK as soon as I finish dealing with this Hurricane down here in south MS!

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Black

RK 3.5 Max Travel:Fox Shocks:Fox Front Steering Stabilizer:Ace Front Stubby w/ Stinger:Ace Tubular Fenders:Ace Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier:Level 8 ZX Wheels:37-12.5-17 MTR-Kevlar:Engo 9K Winch:Currie Anti-Rock:Synthetic Winch Rope:6 panel sPOD:Rigid Lights:AEV Procal
post #19 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Granite Guru

It almost seems as if there was a batch of springs or some component that has been incorrectly built and shipped out causing the same problem.

I will be calling RK as soon as I finish dealing with this Hurricane down here in south MS![/QUOTE]

Ok, so lets say there was a batch problem, why do you all have the lean to the passenger side????? Something els must be wrong.
post #20 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Rock God

Most lifted JK's lean. Mine does and just about every one I see driving down the road does too.

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #21 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Granite Guru

This is the first I've seen any vehicle lean like that. It shouldn't do that sitting or driving down the road.
post #22 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 10:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Some JKs lean, but that is extreme. Call Jeremy at Rock Krawler, he'll take care of you.

If anyone has had issues with customer service from Rock Krawler, I have a hard time believing is was on RK's end and not from the customer giving a lack of info, poor pictures/descriptions, or not wanting to take the time to follow up with calls/emails. Jeremy and the guys at RK are first class; they don't just pick and choose who they give top notch troubleshooting to.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #23 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
Some JKs lean, but that is extreme. Call Jeremy at Rock Krawler, he'll take care of you.

If anyone has had issues with customer service from Rock Krawler, I have a hard time believing is was on RK's end and not from the customer giving a lack of info, poor pictures/descriptions, or not wanting to take the time to follow up with calls/emails. Jeremy and the guys at RK are first class; they don't just pick and choose who they give top notch troubleshooting to.
I agree .. that is extreme .. I would center your axles before doing any additional troubleshooting.

I also recommend rear adjustable upper control arms and JKS adjustable spring perches to cure your spring issues.. that is what I am using. THat setup will also let you go with a CV-joint Driveshaft in the back too if you want to.

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #24 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
I also recommend rear adjustable upper control arms and JKS adjustable spring perches to cure your spring issues.. that is what I am using. THat setup will also let you go with a CV-joint Driveshaft in the back too if you want to.
He has the X-Factor, which includes adjustable UCA's.
I've installed many of these systems and have never had an issue. Center the axles, dial in the pinion angles, and then call Jeremy if is still seems off. He'll take good care of you.
post #25 of 52 Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Granite Guru

Call Jeremy or Justin like everyone is saying, center your shit up, preload your SBs, get ur pinion angles correct,
Take it for a test drive, if its still leaning, swap the springs to the other side. If the opposite side leans then you have a gripe. If the same side is leaning after swaping them. It's either a factory problem or your setups and measurements are wrong somewhere..
Keep us posted!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode