Banks CAI on 3.6? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-27-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via Skype™ to DaddyGo
Banks CAI on 3.6?

Has anyone used, or even heard anything about the Banks intake for the 3.6? Is it any good. Or is a better question, is any cold air intake worth it on this engine? Thanks.

Rob-2012 Bright White JKU Sport/Rough Country 2.5" BB w/18/59 springs and Rubi shocks/Front Sway Bar Disconnects/Rubi Wheels & Tires/VDP Stubby Bumper Kit/Off Camber Light Bar/KC Daylighters/ACE Rock Sliders w/Rubi Rails/Kicker Speakers/Surprise Straps Grab Handles. The sickness is setting in!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-28-2012, 07:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGo View Post
Has anyone used, or even heard anything about the Banks intake for the 3.6? Is it any good. Or is a better question, is any cold air intake worth it on this engine? Thanks.
It has been my experience with CAI's that to get the full benifit from it you need to 'open' up your exhaust.By that I mean go to a free flow muffler.Otherwise your pretty much wasting your money.I would also consider a tuner/programmer.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #3 of 14 Old 08-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Rock God

RIPP has one dyno'd that apparently makes a bit of a difference.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-30-2012, 12:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
RIPP has one dyno'd that apparently makes a bit of a difference.
All of the CAI systems dyno out pretty good.What I am saying is that unless one frees up the flow of exhaust,in other words decrease the restriction (back pressure) you will not really get the full benefits of the CAI.It's simple basic hot rodding 101.Now one would also benefit from those mods even more by using a tuner/programmer to tell the computer that it has performance mods and it will download software to enable better use of said mods.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #5 of 14 Old 08-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
All of the CAI systems dyno out pretty good.What I am saying is that unless one frees up the flow of exhaust,in other words decrease the restriction (back pressure) you will not really get the full benefits of the CAI.It's simple basic hot rodding 101.Now one would also benefit from those mods even more by using a tuner/programmer to tell the computer that it has performance mods and it will download software to enable better use of said mods.
I have the banks CAI and catback and I did see a difference on power and MPG when I installed it I was told with the programer you get like 40HP more. Plus when you step on it sounds awesome.

Ruben

07 JK Rubicon - Banks Cold air intake and Monster exhaust - ARB front and rear bumpers - Warn 9.5Ti - OME 4inch JK Lift - 33inch MTZ

01 Grand Cherokee - inline 6 - Jeep Hitch Receiver - Jeep Fog-Light kit - Jeep Bug Deflector - Jeep Wind Deflector - Jeep Tow Hooks - Jeep Sub-woofer - OME 1 1/2 coils - Dynomax 2 1/2 Cat back - Running 265 75 16 - K&N air Filter and a modified air box

post #6 of 14 Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valfam View Post
I have the banks CAI and catback and I did see a difference on power and MPG when I installed it I was told with the programer you get like 40HP more. Plus when you step on it sounds awesome.
I had the K&N and a flowmaster 40,and the superchips flashpak.That was a big improvement on the 3.8,lol.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Granite Guru

Tuner for the 3.6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
It has been my experience with CAI's that to get the full benifit from it you need to 'open' up your exhaust.By that I mean go to a free flow muffler.Otherwise your pretty much wasting your money.I would also consider a tuner/programmer.
I am holding off on the on a CAI/Exhaust until a tuner becomes available. Is there a tuner released for the 2012?
post #8 of 14 Old 08-30-2012, 05:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have no idea.....

post #9 of 14 Old 08-30-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via Skype™ to DaddyGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGNHD View Post
I am holding off on the on a CAI/Exhaust until a tuner becomes available. Is there a tuner released for the 2012?
They don't even have one for the 2011 yet do they? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Rob-2012 Bright White JKU Sport/Rough Country 2.5" BB w/18/59 springs and Rubi shocks/Front Sway Bar Disconnects/Rubi Wheels & Tires/VDP Stubby Bumper Kit/Off Camber Light Bar/KC Daylighters/ACE Rock Sliders w/Rubi Rails/Kicker Speakers/Surprise Straps Grab Handles. The sickness is setting in!!!
post #10 of 14 Old 08-31-2012, 08:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGNHD View Post
No need to hold off on the cai and exhaust mods.By doing that you will definately pick some extra ponies and improved mpg if your not stompin' on it.The tuner will come along in time if it isn't already available so enjoy what you can do now.....just sayin'

post #11 of 14 Old 08-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Granite Guru

Road Race motorsports makes a fuel calibrator (tuner) as well as a whole package.

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...oducts_id=1439

I may consider something like this once I get my ticking head sorted.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-31-2012, 04:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1P View Post
Road Race motorsports makes a fuel calibrator (tuner) as well as a whole package.

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...oducts_id=1439

I may consider something like this once I get my ticking head sorted.
Ahh.....the timebomb package,lol.

post #13 of 14 Old 09-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

i havent had a good look under the hood of a new JK... but the 3.6 in the Journey we had had a snakes nest of tubing/resonators that wrapped AROUND the back of the engine. i can only imagine how much difference an intake and tune would make on it... if they made a tune for a 3.6 Journey....

have a Caravan now with the 3.6 and its actually not as bad as the Journey was. strangely, the Journey seemed to be angrier than the van.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #14 of 14 Old 10-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I have both. Installed the CAI about a month after I purchased the JKUR. Big improvement except for highway mileage. Installed the Monster Exhaust today and feel a big improvement on the highway. Holds speed better and the gas mileage readout seemed to be holding its own. Time will tell. Overall I am very pleased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode