I Broke My Rear Axle Shaft Seal. What Do I Need To Fix It? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 08-26-2012, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Unhappy I Broke My Rear Axle Shaft Seal. What Do I Need To Fix It?

I destroyed my rear axle shaft seal along with the outside ring while putting everything back together after a re-gear. The bearing appears to be okay.

What exactly do I need to purchase to fix my problem here? Are any special tools required to remove everything off of the shaft and re-install the new parts?

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Rock God

How did you manage to do that?

From what I have been told you have to cut that retainer ring and bearing off unless you have a press set up that will allow you to get it off. Then you have to press on the new bearing and retainer ring, not to sure if the seal is pressed on as well.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-26-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I was reckless inserting the shaft. I starting wrenching the four bolts of the seal retainer and noticed it was particularly tough. I'm upset I allowed my self to do this.

So, it sounds like this isn't a simple DIY job if you don't have a press. I'm thinking I might take this opportunity just upgrade the shafts. Do new shafts come with the pinion seal and bearings installed?

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 08-26-2012, 01:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibaster View Post
So, it sounds like this isn't a simple DIY job if you don't have a press. I'm thinking I might take this opportunity just upgrade the shafts. Do new shafts come with the pinion seal and bearings installed?
Some do, I don't believe most come pressed together.

And the pinion seal is behind the yoke on the pinion.

Did you do the regear yourself?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-26-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

You're right. Sorry, long weekend.

I pulled the axle out and took everything apart. Someone I know did the re-gear. I was putting it back together when this happened.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #6 of 27 Old 08-27-2012, 05:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Yep, good time as any to go ahead and upgrade those axle shafts. Keep the stockers for trail spares.

I have gone both routes with the rear axle shafts: pressed the bearings and retainer rings on myself on one set, and paid NR4x4 to do them and ship me another set of axle shafts complete, ready for plug-n-play. The $60 to have them show up to my door complete was well worth it, IMO.

If you have a press, it wouldn't be a big deal to DIY. But, not having the right tools means you pay a little more to have somebody else do it correctly for you.

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #7 of 27 Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm pricing things out today. Jeep wanted $100 just for the parts. NAPA was $60. Then, I would have to have a shop remove the existing parts and re press on the new ones.

Northridge has a set for $470 pre-pressed. It's a lot of money, but I don't want to put more money into my current shafts if I may eventually replaced them anyway.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #8 of 27 Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 AM
JKO Addict!

FYI Napa and some other stores usually do axle bearing pressing. Putting the few bucks into them isn't a bad idea, it'd be nice to have spares. You can't get home without a rear axle shaft..

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #9 of 27 Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

True. It'd be good to have at least a single spare. The nice thing about the non-Rubi 44 is the identical shafts for each side.

If I bought a new set, I would still have that one spare.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #10 of 27 Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibaster View Post
True. It'd be good to have at least a single spare. The nice thing about the non-Rubi 44 is the identical shafts for each side.

If I bought a new set, I would still have that one spare.
Yes true, I didn't recall if it was a Rubi or not.

post #11 of 27 Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
FYI Napa and some other stores usually do axle bearing pressing. Putting the few bucks into them isn't a bad idea, it'd be nice to have spares. You can't get home without a rear axle shaft..
Says who? Couldn't you just pull the rear shaft, put it in 4-Hi, and drive it as a FWD?

RK 2.5" Flex - Body Armor Front Bumper - Superwinch 8500 lb - Rigid Industries Dually Flood Lights and Diffused Reverse Light - G2 Gear & Axle Diff Covers - Dynomax Exhaust - Drake Off-Road Billet Knobs - Oliver's Driveshafts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
Coming to JKO to get educated on politics is like a marathoner watching the Special Olympics to get technique pointers.
post #12 of 27 Old 08-27-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The wheel mounts to studs on the shaft in the rear.

No axle means no wheel.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #13 of 27 Old 08-27-2012, 11:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbillyOSU View Post
Says who? Couldn't you just pull the rear shaft, put it in 4-Hi, and drive it as a FWD?
Says the force of gravity.

How do you plan on holding the wheel on?

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 08-27-2012 at 11:09 AM.
post #14 of 27 Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Rock God

Garage
Thumbs down just pull the rear shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbillyOSU View Post
Sure if you think you can drive on three wheels. Maybe if you put something real heavy on the opposite front corner....

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #15 of 27 Old 08-28-2012, 12:29 PM

lol you guys not watch "One Car Too Far"? You strap a log where the wheel used to be and use it like a ski to get home.
post #16 of 27 Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Rock God

If the shaft was broke couldnt you just cut it off close to the end, re install and put your wheel on?
post #17 of 27 Old 08-29-2012, 04:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT_DAMN View Post
If the shaft was broke couldnt you just cut it off close to the end, re install and put your wheel on?
You'd probably destroy that outer bearing pretty quickly. It'd get you off the trail, but may not make it home.

You'd need a cutoff wheel of some sort, the hardness of that steel would work over most saw blades.

Sent via paper airplane

post #18 of 27 Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

^^^
Would you also have to have the ability to lock the rear dif in that situation?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #19 of 27 Old 08-29-2012, 05:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
^^^
Would you also have to have the ability to lock the rear dif in that situation?
Any locker wouldn't care, you'd need a tuner or manual over-ride for a Rubicon e-locker. But yes, any open diff wouldn't allow you to get anywhere like that.

post #20 of 27 Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Rock God

Trust me, you can get home when you pop a rear axle shaft. Usually when they fail, they break clost to the carrier side, (usually where the splines end). What you nimrods are forgetting is we have rear disc brakes that keep the axle from walking out.

Justin
2009 Sahara Unlimited-The Saharacon
Just hanging out in the land of the banned
post #21 of 27 Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
. What you nimrods are forgetting is we have rear disc brakes that keep the axle from walking out.
That hasn't been a concern in this thread, at all, but that's quite an awesome obvious observation you've made. Just how far "did you get home" with it running on the one bearing was the main concern. Sometimes "getting home" is 4 hours on the highway. Nimrod.

post #22 of 27 Old 08-30-2012, 06:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

You could also strap a 6 inch around log to your suspension in place of the broken wheel and half shaft and get home like in "One Car to Far" LOL LOL LOL

2011 Jeep Green JKUR

Cincinnati JKOs join our Facebook group
CJKC
Cincy JK Crew - rides only, no BS
post #23 of 27 Old 08-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
Trust me, you can get home when you pop a rear axle shaft. Usually when they fail, they break clost to the carrier side, (usually where the splines end). What you nimrods are forgetting is we have rear disc brakes that keep the axle from walking out.
A man that know his stuff! You took the words out of my mouth.

Ruben

07 JK Rubicon - Banks Cold air intake and Monster exhaust - ARB front and rear bumpers - Warn 9.5Ti - OME 4inch JK Lift - 33inch MTZ

01 Grand Cherokee - inline 6 - Jeep Hitch Receiver - Jeep Fog-Light kit - Jeep Bug Deflector - Jeep Wind Deflector - Jeep Tow Hooks - Jeep Sub-woofer - OME 1 1/2 coils - Dynomax 2 1/2 Cat back - Running 265 75 16 - K&N air Filter and a modified air box

post #24 of 27 Old 08-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Granite Guru

Guys the benefit of pressed in bearings is that the axle won’t walk out like a c-clip axle setup, it will wobble but it won’t fall out, so you can get to camp or home as long as it not a long drive. I have driven maybe 10 miles or so on a broken axle.

Ruben

07 JK Rubicon - Banks Cold air intake and Monster exhaust - ARB front and rear bumpers - Warn 9.5Ti - OME 4inch JK Lift - 33inch MTZ

01 Grand Cherokee - inline 6 - Jeep Hitch Receiver - Jeep Fog-Light kit - Jeep Bug Deflector - Jeep Wind Deflector - Jeep Tow Hooks - Jeep Sub-woofer - OME 1 1/2 coils - Dynomax 2 1/2 Cat back - Running 265 75 16 - K&N air Filter and a modified air box

post #25 of 27 Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valfam View Post
Guys the benefit of pressed in bearings is that the axle won’t walk out like a c-clip axle setup, it will wobble but it won’t fall out, so you can get to camp or home as long as it not a long drive. I have driven maybe 10 miles or so on a broken axle.
Who has said it will fall out in this thread?

10 miles doesn't get me to a grocery store from my house. Won't do me much good at a park. The bearing holding up is by concern.

Sent via paper airplane

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode