How To Adjust Brake Caliper Adapter Closer to Caliper? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-25-2012, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

How To Adjust Brake Caliper Adapter Closer to Caliper?

I'm putting my rear axle back together after a regear and I'm having problems getting the driver rear brake caliper in a condition that allows it to fit over the rotor. The problem is that the caliper adapter (bracket) that hold the outside pad is fully extended from the main caliper assembly. The pins with the rubbers on them are fully extended. The other wheel's caliper is extended about half the length of this one.

How do I get the adapter to collapse closer to the caliper? It's driving me crazy. For what it's worth, I have a c-clamp and was able push the piston in about as far as it'll go.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-25-2012, 05:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Need a pic, something is installed backwards, upside-down or just wrong IMO.

There is no "adjusting" of the caliper. Once the piston is back in, there should be no problems reinstalling the caliper with pads. Unless the axle shaft four bolts are not fully seated, something isn't right.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Need a pic, something is installed backwards, upside-down or just wrong IMO.

There is no "adjusting" of the caliper. Once the piston is back in, there should be no problems reinstalling the caliper with pads. Unless the axle shaft four bolts are not fully seated, something isn't right.
No pics for now. I'm sure nothing's backwards. It was never taken apart.

You know the rods with the rubber boots on them on the caliper assembly? They are FULLY extended. I need them to close. Any ideas?

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-25-2012, 05:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibaster View Post
No pics for now. I'm sure nothing's backwards. It was never taken apart.

You know the rods with the rubber boots on them on the caliper assembly? They are FULLY extended. I need them to close. Any ideas?

They just push back in. Unless they got bent somehow.

That's all it is, with a boot.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #5 of 14 Old 08-25-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
They just push back in. Unless they got bent somehow.

That's all it is, with a boot.
That's them. I can push them in, but they keep extending back out. They won't stay in.

I can get pictures late tonight. I had to do something for my wife's job. I'm on my phone now.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #6 of 14 Old 08-25-2012, 05:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
That's them. I can push them in, but they keep extending back out. They won't stay in.

I can get pictures late tonight. I had to do something for my wife's job. I'm on my phone now.
You just push them in and install the caliper one bolt at a time, there isn't a spring. It's just the little boot and is causing it to spring out.

Push it in with your fingers and slide the caliper tab over it while removing your fingers.

Once it's installed and you hit the brake pedal a couple of times, the piston will take up the slack in the caliper.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Rock God

I might have extra grease/air behind the pin.

Just push it in and grab the boot and pull out a little to burp it. Then it will stay in.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Every time I used a c-clamp to close the adapter to the caliper, it sprung back out immediately to about 80-90% of its original length. I went back and forth on each side, because I have only a single clamp, with no success.

This morning, I tried doing each side and leaving the clamp on for about 10 minutes. It appears to have worked. I was able to get the caliper on with no issues.

Thanks for your help.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #9 of 14 Old 08-26-2012, 08:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Every time you use a c-clamp? What exactly are you c-clamping? You just need to push the piston back with a clamp, it doesn't come back out.

Please let someone check your brakes before driving it too much. This is a very simple task that doesn't require clamping anything down for 10 minutes. I've removed and replaced dozens of JK calipers and have never used a c-clamp actually.

post #10 of 14 Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Rock God

are you taking the cap off of the master cylinder before retracting the piston with the c-clamp?

post #11 of 14 Old 08-26-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper View Post
are you taking the cap off of the master cylinder before retracting the piston with the c-clamp?
No, but that probably would've helped.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #12 of 14 Old 08-26-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Another question.

I got everything back on. When I initially put the calipers on, there was about an 1/8" gap between each pad and the rotor. After putting the Jeep in drive and pressing on the brakes a bit, the rotors visually appear to be touching the rotor. The wheels spin freely and stop with the brakes applied.

Is it correct to have the pads to close to the rotor under normal conditions?

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #13 of 14 Old 08-26-2012, 11:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Another question.

I got everything back on. When I initially put the calipers on, there was about an 1/8" gap between each pad and the rotor. After putting the Jeep in drive and pressing on the brakes a bit, the rotors visually appear to be touching the rotor. The wheels spin freely and stop with the brakes applied.

Is it correct to have the pads to close to the rotor under normal conditions?
Yes.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #14 of 14 Old 08-28-2012, 02:44 AM
Rock God

I agree with Goody. While you have the brakes back together, the rudimentary questions you are asking warrant the advice given to have a professional at least look them over.

It's good you are asking these questions to learn, but sometimes having a *helping hand* doing something for the first time is almost necessary, and your brakes are way to important to leave to chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode