Rock Hard Ultimate Sports cage... opinions and thoughts? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Rock Hard Ultimate Sports cage... opinions and thoughts?

after a good discussion here a couple of weeks back on cages id like to get opinions on this cage.

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1030.htm

with this...

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1030a.htm

i havnt read or heard anything bad about it, but it may not have the exposure that some of the other name brands have.

anyone have this one? thoughts, opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Granite Guru

I had their cage in my LJ and it was great. Will do one in my JK when funds come around after tires.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 01:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Since you asked for opinions, I'm pretty good for that. Whether or not it's worth anything is another story

My concerns.

I didn't like the all of the clamps everywhere, asethetically it looks a bit hokey. It also tying back into the stock door bars, where-as the OR-Fab replaces them. There is no option for a floor mount kit [OR-Fab], which also gives you a total of 10 3/8" fasteners in the pinch seam versus only 6.

Much like the OR-Fab they just claim that it is .120" 1-3/4" "tubing". No mention if it's DOM, or what kind of tubing it actually is.

Their welded joint here makes me nervous

For what is offered as kits for the JK, I think they would go in the order of Poly Performance, OR-Fab w/Floor Kit, Poison Spyder, Rock Hard/River Raider.

River Raider is down there because the entire front ties to the firewall. I'm not sure that's the best place but I also haven't looked into how strong that area actually is. I hope they have..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Granite Guru

Wow, do not like that. What else is holding that bracket on other than those 3 bolts? Also, very short, thin weld. Also do not like.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 01:18 PM
JKO Addict!

mmmm self tappers

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #6 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

to my untrained eye i spotted all of that too. i didnt want to say anything and sway any opinions cause i may have been wrong and i find i get a more honest answer out of people if i dont give my opinion first.

imo this cage really doesnt do anything for a safety factor (again, to my untrained eye). its price is ok, but eh...

goody, on your previous suggestions i still like poly's, but there are a few of the bars placements i dont care for in the event of a high speed collision, namely the ones down by the drivers left leg and pass right. it may be no issue (again, untrained eyes) but to me it looks a bit dangerous.

Last edited by damon.l; 08-24-2012 at 01:23 PM.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 01:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
mmmm self tappers
That's a valid argument for a couple of the cages.

However since they are in a sheer load situation, their method of threading isn't all as important. Sure it comes off as being very cheap, unsafe and a poor choice, but looking at their location, there isn't much of a benefit of through bolting them. Poison Spyder through bolts their streamers, so it has a bolt on the bottom of it. It's compressing an open rectangular channel, any vertical load at that point will just crumble the rectangle and loosen the fastener.

I'm not saying that I'm thrilled to have self tappers in my Jeep, but they are pretty functional.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 02:01 PM
TrailDuty.com

They are not self tappers, they are threaded, but as already mentioned it's not a big issue either way. The rectangular channel behind the bolts is not open, the RH piece has a filler on the inside, with threaded holes in that the bolts fit into. I have the RH cage and added a piece of 1/8" to the outside, so that the sheet metal is pretty well sandwiched between the RH piece and the 1/8".

You'd be surprised how much force it would take to rip them free, but they in no way compare to a proper floor mounted and braced to frame setup. I installed the RH cage in 2007 and I am surprised that they have not come out with an optional brace down to the floor by now.

The RH cage strengthens the factory cage and will help in a roll over, it may prove to be a one off use, but I have no doubt you'll be better off with it than without it. A complete new fully welded cage is obviously the best solution, then you have various options down from that until you get to the RH cage. All will be better than nothing, and in simple terms the more you are willing to spend the more you will get.

post #9 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Granite Guru

Poly has redesigned their kit so the a pillars go through the dash now! They should have a thread up here very soon about it. They are hoping for it to be available in about 2 months!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
post #10 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minner View Post
Poly has redesigned their kit so the a pillars go through the dash now! They should have a thread up here very soon about it. They are hoping for it to be available in about 2 months!

Very interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing this as the way their A pillar mounts to the floor now leaves a little to be desired...not in strength but aesthetics and room.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #11 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Granite Guru

Ive been talking with them and it is a tube through the dash, will need to take you time for a clean instal and will have to relocate the factory speakers. You can see a glimpse of it on their rebuild of their 07 thread and they have been installing it on a 2012 4 door the past few days so look for a thread from them soon

post #12 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Poly has too much development going on right now... I dont see that happening in 2 months. Not talking down on Poly... just saying. If it does happen I will be looking like this guy ---> Either way if Poly makes it, I buy it thats just the way it goes.

Last edited by XXXXXXXXXX4LCKD10RUBIUNLTD; 08-24-2012 at 04:37 PM.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LCKD10RUBIUNLTD View Post
Poly has too much development going on right now... I dont see that happening in 2 months. Not talking down on Poly... just saying. If it does happen I will be looking like this guy --->
Its already been developed, they put it in their 07 and fitting it to a 2012 4 door right now. They told me if all goes well with the 2012 then it would go into production and could possibly take preorders in a month and ship in two

post #14 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Its already been developed, they put it in their 07 and fitting it to a 2012 4 door right now. They told me if all goes well with the 2012 then it would go into production and could possibly take preorders in a month and ship in two

Good to hear they are going through with the development of that cage. I really like that design better then the tube in front of the dash
post #15 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 05:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

looking forward to this, as I am in the market for a cage and Poly has impressed me the most so far.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #16 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Granite Guru

Ya I think they will have a lot of people interested, I plan on preordering mine when I can so hopefully I won't have to deal with backorders

post #17 of 29 Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloJeff View Post
Good to hear they are going through with the development of that cage. I really like that design better then the tube in front of the dash
X2

I was planning on doing a OR Fab front w Poly rear or just go full custom.

If Poly will be updating their design with a "through the dash" type A pillar, I'm in.

TC

post #18 of 29 Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Ive been talking with them and it is a tube through the dash, will need to take you time for a clean instal and will have to relocate the factory speakers. You can see a glimpse of it on their rebuild of their 07 thread and they have been installing it on a 2012 4 door the past few days so look for a thread from them soon

do you have a link to this 2007 build thread? I can't seem to find it.

TC

post #19 of 29 Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Granite Guru

Give me a sec

post #20 of 29 Old 08-25-2012, 06:42 AM
Granite Guru

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74851 Here you go, its toward the end of the thread.
post #21 of 29 Old 08-25-2012, 06:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74851 Here you go, its toward the end of the thread.
Thanks! The only thing that has kept me from going with the Poly cage is the A Pillar down tube in front of the dash. I'm really hoping this new design is something that they will produce.

TC

post #22 of 29 Old 08-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Granite Guru

We should find out shortly how the instal went on the 2012 so lets cross our fingers that it went well

post #23 of 29 Old 08-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

The dash sub structure is pretty much the same from 07-12 so it shouldn't be an issue with their through the dash cage. I didn't notice any read difference in sound loosing the small dash speakers either.
post #24 of 29 Old 08-27-2012, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

it we are talking about loosing the tweaters in the dash, no biggie. just get a coaxial speaker and put it in the dash down underneath the steering wheel and glovebox.

if we are taking about moving the bigger speakers down in the dash, i think id rather keep the kit that doesnt do the through the dash design.
post #25 of 29 Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon.l View Post
it we are talking about loosing the tweaters in the dash, no biggie. just get a coaxial speaker and put it in the dash down underneath the steering wheel and glovebox.

if we are taking about moving the bigger speakers down in the dash, i think id rather keep the kit that doesnt do the through the dash design.
this x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode