Which LED to get? Flood, Spot or Flood/Spot Combo ??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Which LED to get? Flood, Spot or Flood/Spot Combo ???

Not really sure which LED to order. Rigid gives 3 options for their 20" E Series Light bar. Flood, Spot or Flood/Spot combo.

I found this info below, but im still not sure which one to get. What are you guys running and why? Thanks any info is appreciated.

What is the difference between a floodlight and a spotlight?

LED spotlights mainly stress on the ‘spot’ whose function is focusing light. That is to say they output a narrower beam of light, typically less than 45 degrees wide. Most of the light from a spotlight is concentrated onto a relatively small area producing a bright spot.
LED floodlights while has a stress on ‘flood’ whose word meaning is diffusing the light. So the floodlight output a wider beamof light, up to 120 degrees, so the light from a floodlight is spread out over a much larger area.

As the spot light light is more concentrated, so it appears brighter than a floodlight but only within its narrower beam. But it depends on your different applications to choose it. A spotlight is more suited to illuminating objects, like to illuminate a tree, a fountain , and a floodlight is more suited to illuminating areas, like to light a store, show room, or a wall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JOIN THE NRA NOW!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Rock God

Garage

Depends on where your running it. Roof? Bumper?

However with a 20" I would almost certainly say combo. It will be spot inside and flood outside.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #3 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Plan on mounting it on my front bumper between the bullbar.

Same setup as this.

JOIN THE NRA NOW!

Last edited by greenmeanie; 08-22-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Rock God

I'm running combos... its a compromise, but I won't find myself in a spot wishing I had one or the other. 10" and 50"

2010 JK Rubicon- meh 2dr sold
2012 JKU Rubicon- bored sold
2015 JKU Rubicon- 3rd times a charm?
post #5 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

I had 2 6" combos on my Gobi rack. Worked extremely well until the garage burnt down.

Going with a 10" on the bull bar in 4 - 6 weeks, once the new bumper arrives.

Areas I go wheeling at night have deer. Like to see a little to each side, the combo gives me that.

How far in front of you do you need to light up brighter than a cloudy day? I'm good with 25 meters.

Ryan

BAM. Me, "wonder what that was?" Tom, "pretty sure it was the top of something coming into contact with the bottom of your Jeep."
Jersey
Crew
post #6 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Wheeler

We live in a rural area where most roads we travel to and from home don't have street lights, and very little traffic to light the way. When we go camping, we go exploring backroads 'less travelled' sometimes at night, just to see what's out there. I like the look of the 40" Rigid LED, and am in the process of purchasing a GOBI Stealth roof rack that will hold it. My question, for the general want to see better at night on the backroads person, whether commuting from work, or out exploring when camping, which is the better setup, the combo or the straight spot?

The Hi-Tek RedNek. -
07 Sahara 4 dr Unlimited. Stock (for now)
post #7 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Wheeler

I would go with flood unless you drive 80 mph on backroads at night At crawler speeds flood is way to go. I like the idea of combo but it's 50% less of each.

sj
post #8 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Rock God

LED spots are not the same as Halogen spots. The beam on the LED spot is not as focused and does not produce a long distance beam like a Halogen does. I have both spot and hybrid. Spot is good for general driving use, hybrid is good as a work light to flood an area.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Rock God

For a 20" E Series I would go with the Combo. It is a lot of usable light.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #10 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would do a combo... in a trail situation it will give the best light performance.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode